Coconut Milk Problem

Hi , I decided to check out coconut milk on your advice, bought a can though it seemed quite low on cals, around 500 for 400ml.Anyway I opened the tin and it seems to have separated, we have the thick curd type stuff on top and the liquid underneath, is it supposed to be like this or have I bought the wrong stuff?

that sounds right, just mix it up.

About one thousand calories per can, its great in shakes.

Depends a lot on brand. You have to check the ingredients and see what percentage coconut milk/cream it actually is. Most are reconstitued extract so they get to choose how much they put in. The variance in quality and calories between brands here is somewhere around 50% calories/unit of weight!

Cheers lads, was the gf’s fault she brought me the low fat version.

[quote]Wooderson wrote:
Cheers lads, was the gf’s fault she brought me the low fat version.[/quote]

She thinks you’re fat!

what kind of benefits from coconut milk?

High in medium chain triglycerides, which are preferentially burn for fuel rather than stored as bodyfat. Good on low-carb diets.
Powdered coconut milk is also good, if you don’t want to mess with the liquid stuff.

[quote]Wooderson wrote:
Cheers lads, was the gf’s fault she brought me the low fat version.[/quote]
I knew it. The two are basically completely different things. I saw the lowfat version once in a (female) friend’s fridge, and thought wow, this completely ruins why this stuff is amazing.

I ditched it for a while and just picked some up recently for shakes, but it’s not as sweet as I remember. I think it’s because I was dieting when I first tried it.

Try mixing it into things that one may use milk/butter for to add creaminess. (Ex: mashed potatoes, blended cauliflower).