T Nation

Coconut, A Great Product.

Some of you know,some of you don't know.I've been taking 2-3 tablespoons of organic coconut oil with my protien shakes and I've lost 2 inches in a week;I'm not really even trying to lose weight right now.It's crazy.then I looked up coconut oil and saw that it can actually help you lose weight,not to mention it's really good for your thyroid,and health.Just telling ya guys.Maybe it can help some of you out-give ya a boost.I really think that it's better than any"weight loss pill" out there,but it's not dangerous.

Both coconut oil and milk taste pretty good also!

I hear coconut oil is high temperature stable, anyone else tried using it for cooking? Any ieas as to the loss of nutritional properties through the heat?

Cheers

I have read about Coconut Oil being great for the immune system. But where can I find a link about it being great for weight loss and the mechanisms whereby it works?

Nevermind, I found it on mercola.com:

CocoNut Oil + Protein Powder = 1 excellent for P+F meal.
I use 2 1/3 tablespoon x shake.
It's almost like a smoothy rather than a watery protein shake.

Coconut oil is highly saturated, which makes it more stable for cooking, particularly frying. The more unsaturated oils become, the more vulnerable they are to high heat. Fatty acids can break down into weird, potentially toxic fragments and/or form trans fats.

Nope.You can cook with it.

The saturated fat in coconut oil are meadium chain fatty acids.they're good four your health and thyroid health also.

I use a lot of coconut milk in cooking since I'm a big fan of SE asian food. There are quite a few delicious recipes from that part of the world using coconut milk that can be made into healthy P+F meals.

Awesome! The funny thing about coconut oil is that the fat in the oil is used by your body differently than other fats.Short- and medium-chain fatty acids, such as those in coconut milk, are absorbed directly through the portal vein to the liver, where they are immediately available to the body.

In other words, most of the saturated fat in coconut oil is easily digestible and converted into quick energy. And these types of fatty acids are less likely to cause obesity because they are immediately used by the body and have no opportunity to be stored. Long chain fatty acids go to fat,not much energy.Short chain fatty acids,on the other hand,don't.

My energy level shoots through the roof when I use 2-3 tablespoons of the organic unrefined coconut oil each day.My workouts are much better.Not only that,but I had some problems with my thyroid health,and I got off the medication and starting using coconut oil,a home-made herb blend that I made up,and started eating more natural whole foods.My thyroid is back to normal now. Good stuff!

Hey Grim,

Where'd you get the coconut oil? I've been looking around for it (at the grocery store) but they don't seem to have any...so I've just been eating coconuts, which is a bit inconvenient since it requires a hammer.

Try getting coconut milk from an Asian grocery.

Lol.I crack open coconuts all the time and drink the coconut juice with my shakes;throw in a banana and pineapple with it.I get mine from foodlion here.They just put up a organic section.Make sure the coconut oil is 100% organic unrefined.here is a website that sells,in my opinion,one of the best coconut oils: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm .

If you can't find it at any stores,then try ordering it off the website.

How does peanut/sesame oil stack up against coconut oil? I love Asian food and use a little of both when cooking. Are they potential toxic at stir-frying heat levels ala olive oil?

I use it for cooking and for cookies and such, it makes them a lot softer. I don't know about the weight loss but it seems to help with inflamation with asthma etc...and the unrefined stuff tastes really good to me.

It depends.I would NEVER use vegetable oil for cooking.I usually use flaxseed or coconut oil.Coconut oil is the healthiest oil around.You want an energy booster?Try this one hour before working out:one tablespoon of organic coconut oil,one scoop of whey,some creatine,and some skim milk.This will really give you energy to workout HARD! Does for me!

wait...you cook with flaxseed oil? still an idiot i see spouting off nonsense

umm yeah, cooking with flax is a bad idea.

So,never heard anything about cooking with flax.I just started using it. Why don't you get the stick out of your ass.

Besides,I've never really heard anything about cooking flax oil.I just started using it about a week ago.No one has ever told me about cooking with it.Some of us don't have time to sit on our computers looking up stupid shit.