Cocoa Powder for Carbs/Protein?

What do you think of adding cocoa powder to a shake as a low GI carb and protein source?

Why?

because the one I have access to have, each 20g, 10g of carb(0.4g sugar), 5g of protein. sounds pretty good, even though the amino content may not be that good.

If you are serious about results, I would go another route. If the amino acid profile/content is sub-par, why would you want to take it? I would go with whey isolate and just add some glucose if I were you…that combo is very inexpensive, proven and you would most likely see superior results from it when compared to cocoa powder.

I would worry that that much cocoa would make your food inedible.

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
If you are serious about results, I would go another route. If the amino acid profile/content is sub-par, why would you want to take it? I would go with whey isolate and just add some glucose if I were you…that combo is very inexpensive, proven and you would most likely see superior results from it when compared to cocoa powder.[/quote]

it’s not a post-workout shake, it’s to drink when in college, where sometimes I have no quality food available. The shake would also contain skim milk, cottage cheese, peanut butter, oat bran and a little whey

As a low gi carb source- OK
As a protein source- NOT OK

I wouldn’t “use” it as a source of any macros, but there’s all sorts of studies on the benefits of chocolate and cocoa. I’ll toss a tablespoon into a shake every now and then, much more than that and it messes with the taste/texture.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
To hijack… try a couple tablespoons in your next batch of chili. No joke, gives the chili a savory rich taste. Try it out.[/quote]

Yep, me too. The way it was explained to me was that it’s a spice and why not. I also put in a little honey.

If you’re bulking, and a broke ass college student to boot, I don’t see a damn thing wrong with trying various avenues to meet your caloric requirements.

If, however, you had the revenue to afford better shit, then I guess you more than likely wouldn’t be asking this question and would have instead went for the better shit instead of reaching for cocoa powder (duh).

Do your damn thing…