Cocky vs. Humble

I’d like to say I’m humble, but, ya know…

…I don’t want to BRAG. :wink:

cocky, but only if you can back up what your being cocky about other wise your just a jackass.

I’m outwardly humble, while inside I know I’m better than everyone else. A bit like Hitler but with extreme social anxiety.

Who wants to be my friend?

[quote]pappapump wrote:
cocky, but only if you can back up what your being cocky about other wise your just a jackass.[/quote]

Well said. I think those who come across as confident appear “cocky” to those who aren’t very confident in themselves. It takes that same confidence and even “arrogance” to reach anywhere near the top of any profession. You have to see yourself as being able to accomplish anything you set your mind towards, if not taken to the point of feeling that you can do a job better than most. If you have the skills to back up what is coming out of your mouth, carry on.

I heard it put this way:

If you act cocky, it means you want power.

If you act humble, it means you already have it.

“I think those who come across as confident appear “cocky” to those who aren’t very confident in themselves.”

X hit it on the head. As others have stated, being confident and being cocky are too very different things. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t know the difference because they have no degree of confidence in themselves.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:
“I think those who come across as confident appear “cocky” to those who aren’t very confident in themselves.”

X hit it on the head. As others have stated, being confident and being cocky are too very different things. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t know the difference because they have no degree of confidence in themselves.[/quote]

Confidence and cockiness are certainly two very different things.

Confidence is all about how you realte to yourself. You cannot be cocky towards yourself, only confident or insecure.

Cockiness is about how you relate to others. A confident, humble man is a beta male. He is a confident, probably happy beta male.

An insecure cocky man is still a beta male. Even though he’s cocky, others can sense his insecurities. Usually the insecure cocky types will abandon the attitude when a real alpha is around. If they don’t, depending on the situation, they might get whooped verbally or worse.

Confident cocky types aren’t considered cocky by everyone. A female observer might call them attractive. Or charismatic. Women are usually much more emotionally honest when it comes to social interactions.

Because we do live in a democracy, and everyone has more or less equal rights, certain forms of dominance are socially acceptable while others aren’t.

Usually, it’s the static forms of dominance that are accepted by all men. Static social status: money, job, clothes and other material posessions.

In the case of a man that has a high static social status, the men in his social group might abandon any competitive ambitions. They are being dominated, and they view it as acceptable, even normal.

Therefore, money, cars, clothes and yachts are a form of social pressure. Men and women react differently to social pressure. If you’ve ever wondered why women are attracted to cars, this is it. Women are attracted to social pressure, while men are completely stunted by it.

But money and yachts do not an alpha make. A driven alpha, can, however, make money and yachts.

Dynamic, continuous social pressure is the realm of the alphas. Behaviour. Interaction. An energetic social life.

The star quarterback would get laid a lot even if he weren’t a football player. However, when he is the star quarterback, beta males accept his behaviour. When the same guy is just a big, gifted Alpha Male, the betas will badmouth him in private and on internet forums. And they will submit when he’s around.

Discuss.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
You need both. One or the other may be beneficial, depending upon the context and circumstances. [/quote]

This would be a person with dignity and wisdom.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:

X hit it on the head. As others have stated, being confident and being cocky are too very different things. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t know the difference because they have no degree of confidence in themselves.[/quote]

I fully agree with this statement. I think this problem for guys is easier…we just add in the funny…but women have a harder time…everyone thinks they are just bitches, expecially other women…

“All I want now is to be a nice, clean gentleman. I’ve proved my point. Now I’m going to set an example for all the nice boys and girls. I’m through talking.” - Muhammad Ali

Chinadoll made a great point.

For example: I am a very humble guy when I’m around my parents, other family members, and sometimes good friends. But outside of that, I’m sometimes considered cocky.