T Nation

Coca-Cola, This Is Gross!

You guys have probably seen this but a little reminder is always nice!

Water Facts and Water vs. Coke, You’ll never want to drink coke again…

We all know that water is important but you’ve never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half world population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or Coke?

Got any powerade?

Coke please.

Seems I remember (might have even been here) that those Coke facts were debunked as myth a long time ago. I personally don’t consume soft drinks, because they’re obviously not good for you, but I think I read a lot of those are just scare tactics…

All of the Coke stuff is just urban legends spread via the internet. Check out:

Specifically:

Sterno

Most of this is bogus. Do you really believe that police officers have Coco-Cola in their cruisers to clean up blood? The fire fighters usually clean up that stuff. Or that Coca-Cola uses their product to clean the truck engines? I know I wouldn’t be cleaning an engine with a surgary liquid. That’s what solvents are for. However, I have seen Coke and Reynold’s Wrap that was used to clean chrome, and it actually worked BETTER than the chrome polish that was tested. This could be because the aluminum foil was abrasive, who knows. If this article proves anything, it’s that Coke is completely useless, except if you have to shine up the chrome bumper on a 55 Chevy and you’re all out of chrome polish.

Boo-urns to Coke.

I think the truly scary thing about Coke is that it has like 150 spoons of sugar in it.

That’s why I always ask for my favorite - Dr. Pepper.

Not that you really need to clean your money, but hey, if you want, stick a penny in a glass with a couple ounces of coke. Who knows how this compares to it’s effects on your body, but it’s crazy to see that shiny penny!

I saw this on Snopes a while back, but even if this was true, a little basic science and common sense will tell you not to worry. For example:

“To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.”

The thing to remember here is that this is the CONCENTRATED version of the product. Lots of things that are dangerous when concentrated become relatively harmless when diluted. One time in high school chemistry we where doing something with hydrochloric acid. As the experiment progressed, we ended up with a large container of lots of water and some hydrochloric acid. Our teacher then said that if we stuck our hands in there, we wouldn’t feel a thing. We stuck our hands in and didn’t feel a thing. That’s the magic of DILUTION.

Mike the Diet Coke drinker forever.

[quote]
That’s why I always ask for my favorite - Dr. Pepper.[/quote]

If thats not something a Texan would say I don’t know what is.

Thanks, now I know how to get rid of that damn 16-penny nail I swallowed last week.

While most of those Coke stats above are myths, Dr. Lowery has stated that soda pop is bad for your teeth in the long run, even diet with no sugar.

Listen to the audio interview D-Tap with him on the T-radio. Interesting stuff and not all internet rumor.

A quote from the snopes article; “Besides, the gastric acid in your stomach is much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola, so the Coca-Cola is harmless.”

Recently here in Australia there was a social researcher jumping up and down on TV about the dangers of carbonated drinks. Yeh the suger levels aren’t good, but he was comparing the acidity levels of Coke (2.8) to battery acid (~1.6) and how can drinking this be safe. Completely missed the fact that your stomach acid is much stronger, your body doesn’t mind citrus fruits (roughly the same acidity), and the fact that pH is a log scale. Being a log scale means that the difference between 2.8 and 1.6 is massive.

So drink Coke if you want, just remember that it is a shitload of sugar in tone hit.

[quote] One time in high school chemistry we where doing something with hydrochloric acid. As the experiment progressed, we ended up with a large container of lots of water and some hydrochloric acid. Our teacher then said that if we stuck our hands in there, we wouldn’t feel a thing. We stuck our hands in and didn’t feel a thing. That’s the magic of DILUTION.

[/quote]

Wow, that’s a horrible idea! It’s like pointing a gun at yourself and pulling the trigger because you “know” it’s empty.

But yeah, that Coke stuff is all bull. Except for the death by sugar part.

Whenever I’m low on dough I buy cheap steak and marinate it overnight in a can of diet coke w/lime.

The point that these people are missing, is that they state that pH is how “strong” an acid is. That is false, Molality is the concentration of an acid or base. I sure wouldn’t stick my finger in a 6Mol solution of HCl. -Starkdog

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
One time in high school chemistry we where doing something with hydrochloric acid. As the experiment progressed, we ended up with a large container of lots of water and some hydrochloric acid. Our teacher then said that if we stuck our hands in there, we wouldn’t feel a thing. We stuck our hands in and didn’t feel a thing. That’s the magic of DILUTION.

Wow, that’s a horrible idea! It’s like pointing a gun at yourself and pulling the trigger because you “know” it’s empty.

But yeah, that Coke stuff is all bull. Except for the death by sugar part.[/quote]

Actually it’s not like that. My chemistry teacher told our class about some old show where people do stupid tricks to impress the audience. He said on one episode a guy came on, held some aluminum foil in his hand and poured hydrochloric acid down his arm. Once the acid hit the foil, it started bubbling like crazy. It’s much better at dissolving metal than skin, although I’m sure it would itch a lot if you tried that trick (and you would want to wash it off right after). Sodium hydroxide (lye) on the other hand…

Of course that reminds me of another story. My teacher was telling us all about the dangers of NaOH and how we should never pick it up by hand, all the while holding a pellet of it in between his fingers, for demonstrative purposes of course :wink:

pH is a measurement of Molarity. The acid isn’t very strong to begin with and is very dilute.

I’d seriosuly like to see a bowl of Coke eat through an entire steak in 2 days with bone. I’m not even sure a bowl of .1M phosphoric acid could do this. Let alone Coke… This stuff is crap.

Yeah, the pH is low. Only because it isn’t stuck in a buffer yet. Lemon juice has a low pH and no one cries about it.

Interesting read.
http://emp.byui.edu/BRENNANB/Chem%20101/Notes/Acids%20and%20bases/buffers.ppt

Naw a Texan woulda said Big Red too

They did a nice segment on Coke myths on the Discovery Channel show ‘Mythbusters’. While most the stuff (like eating away the steak, nail, etc.) was urban legend, their tests did confirm that Coke was really good at removing blood from pavement and did an awesome job cleaning rust off a bumper. So some of them are true. Regardless, the simple fact is that soda is nothing more than sugar flavored stuff with a crap ton of calories. Most people with a clue understand this, and know that its no contest between water and soda.