Coca-Cola After Workout

how good would it be to drink some coca-cola (coke) as a post workout drink to spike your insulin.
along with some whey.
?

Not a good plan.

Buy Surge if you cannot then use powdered gatorade.

better than nothing, but not optimal.

Jay Cutler does it.

chocolate milk!!

There are 100 better alternatives; why would you want to use a drink filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup when you could use powdered gatorade or Surge, or hell even kool-aid would be better than Coke.

EEEEEEHHH!!! Wrong door you lose!!! LOL

No bad choice coke is NOT good for well anything its poison in a damn can.

Ill go the extra step and explain. Its not due to the high carb/sugar content. thats good we want that PWO. Look at the carbs in Surge. Its the type of sugar/carbs. Coke and sodas etc are made with HFCS. High Fructose Corn Syrup. Hell the major cause of the obesity problem along with processed grains.

Problem being the F in the HFCS. You want lots of simple carbs PWO to go directly to halt the catabolic state and refill those glycogen stors Fructose WONT and CANY due that. It has to first go to the liver and be processed there and refill liver stores before it can be then transformed to glycogen and refill the muscle stores.

Go for Surge, carious carb drinks without HFCS, check the labels even some flavorts of gatorade are sweetened with HFCS.

For mor info on that crap (HFCS) TC I do beleive did a great article on it here and Google away,

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
EEEEEEHHH!!! Wrong door you lose!!! LOL

Ill go the extra step and explain. Its not due to the high carb/sugar content. thats good we want that PWO. Look at the carbs in Surge. Its the type of sugar/carbs. Coke and sodas etc are made with HFCS. High Fructose Corn Syrup. Hell the major cause of the obesity problem along with processed grains.

Problem being the F in the HFCS. You want lots of simple carbs PWO to go directly to halt the catabolic state and refill those glycogen stors Fructose WONT and CANY due that. It has to first go to the liver and be processed there and refill liver stores before it can be then transformed to glycogen and refill the muscle stores.

Go for Surge, carious carb drinks without HFCS, check the labels even some flavorts of gatorade are sweetened with HFCS.

For mor info on that crap (HFCS) TC I do beleive did a great article on it here and Google away,

Hope that helps,
Phill[/quote]

Phil,

Is fructose in food the same as high fructose corn syrup?

Thank’s

[quote]Dobermann wrote:
Is fructose in food the same as high fructose corn syrup?

Thank’s

[/quote]

No. Fructose found in fruits, for example, is not the same. Still fructose isn’t optimal for glycogen replenishment.

Also, High-fructose corn syrup doesn’t just have to go to the liver before it can be turned into glucose or glycogen. It’s worse than that. Most of HFCS gets turned into triglycerides in the liver. So basically not only is HFCS worthless for workoutout/post-workout purposes, it will raise your triglyceride levels and most likely your bodyfat as well.

[quote]greatgro wrote:

No. Fructose found in fruits, for example, is not the same. [/quote]

Fructose is fructose. It’s the same chemical. High fructose corn syrup is just a concentrated source.

[quote]Phill wrote:
For mor info on that crap (HFCS) TC I do beleive did a great article on it here and Google away[/quote]

TC’s informative article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=283tc2

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:
greatgro wrote:

No. Fructose found in fruits, for example, is not the same.

Fructose is fructose. It’s the same chemical. High fructose corn syrup is just a concentrated source.

[/quote]

Exactly. its an UNNATURAL processed source HIGH in fructose. Where as fruit has fructose it doesnt only have fructose. and not super concentrated like HFCS.

I eat TONS of fruit but avoid HFCS like the plague

Sure is refreshing! I love coke, always have. It’d be better if they put the cocaine back into it.

[quote]Phill wrote:

[/quote]

I agree (even though I had to read it 3 times before I understood it).

No one with any respect for their body and their health would ever drink Coke, or similar products.

There just isn’t any excuse! Even though you’re trying to find one.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Angelbutt wrote:
greatgro wrote:

Exactly. its an UNNATURAL processed source HIGH in fructose. Where as fruit has fructose it doesnt only have fructose. and not super concentrated like HFCS.

[/quote]

When it was first devised, it was about 40% fructose. Now, I think technology has gotten the fructose fraction up to 90%. The rest is glucose.

In case anyone cares how HFCS is made, it starts out as high glucose corn syrup, which is obtained through acid, high temperature, and enzymatic hydrolysis of corn starch. The resulting glucose syrup is then exposed to glucose isomerase, which converts glucose to fructose.

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:

In case anyone cares how HFCS is made, it starts out as high glucose corn syrup, which is obtained through acid, high temperature, and enzymatic hydrolysis of corn starch. The resulting glucose syrup is then exposed to glucose isomerase, which converts glucose to fructose.
[/quote]

To elaborate :

The Cornstarch is treated with alpha-amylase which creates shorter chains of sugars (polysaccharides).

Alpha-amylase is industrially produced by a bacterium. This is purified and then shipped to High Fructose Corn Syrup manufactures.

Using glucoamylase to break down the sugar chains yields the simple sugar glucose.

Unlike alpha-amylase, glucoamylase is produced by Aspergillus, which is a fungus.

Using a fermentation vat you would be notice titchy balls of Aspergillus floating on the top.

The third enzyme used, glucose-isomerase, is particularly costly. This converts glucose to a mixture of about 42 percent fructose and 50-52 percent glucose with some other sugars mixed in.

While alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are added directly to the slurry, expensive glucose-isomerase is packed into columns and the sugar mixture is then passed over it.

Less expensive alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are used only once, glucose-isomerase is reused until it loses most of its activity.

There are two more steps involved. First is a liquid crhomatography step that takes the mixture to 90 percent fructose.

LAstly, this is all back-blended with the original mixture to yield a final concentration of about 55 percent fructose?what the industry calls high fructose corn syrup.

One of the other aspects of Coca Cola is the phopshoric acid (along with the sugars) which is particularly bad for the teeth, I’m no Dentist just a lowly food scientist, but even I know that.

[quote]GathCity wrote:
Phill wrote:

I agree (even though I had to read it 3 times before I understood it).

No one with any respect for their body and their health would ever drink Coke, or similar products.

There just isn’t any excuse! Even though you’re trying to find one.
[/quote]

As usual-over the top hyperbole for a fairly mundane straight forward question.

No, coke or other sources of HFCS would not be optimal PWO or anytime. But to say that anyone with any respect at all for their body would/should never consume a coke or dew or pepsi or…
is simply nonsense. There are such things as cheat days and simple pleasures that one should not have to completely avoid ad-infitatum. It doesn’t make you irresponsible or disrespectful(hate the term)to your body to enjoy a soda occasionally.

Now if you are trying to get into contest shape and are 6 weeks away–I would probably avoid them. If you are working out to feel good and look good-enjoy the damn soda whenever you feel your diet can afford it.

It’s probably gone now, but you can get Coke made with real cane sugar rather than HFCS in the Spring. The HFCS Coke isn’t kosher for Passover. So, Coke makes a limited batch with real sugar around that time. Look for the yellow cap with Hebrew on top. That wouldn’t be as bad – and it tastes better!

[quote]Phill wrote:
Angelbutt wrote:
greatgro wrote:

[/quote]

I remember reading an interesting article saying that they process the fructose in HFCS differently and strip it somehow so it’s totaly different than fructose.
Either way,it’s still poison to your body.Especially with all the Benzene lawsuits against these soft drink companies.
Benzene is a chemical linked to leukemia. It can form in soft drinks that contain both vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and either sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate. Independent laboratory tests found benzene in the two companies’ drinks at levels above the federal limit set for drinking water.
Did you also know that the number one source of calories in America is soda? Makes you wonder…