CoC Grippers

I always think of grip training as being similar to ab training in that it correlates to–and helps with–so many other exercises: pull ups, dead lifts, cleans, snatch (yeah, I said it too) and shrugs to name a few.
Behind the back wrist curls and towel pull ups are great for grip strength.
There was an article in t-mag a while ago about enhancing grip strength by having you and your training partner shake hands with an increasing tightness. This is probably one of most intersting hand strength excercises and really helped me out along with earning my friend and me a lot of dirty looks.

I would like to introduce myself to everyone here on this forum.

My name is Sybersnott, I’m very involved in the world of grip strenth.
I’m a certified Captain Of Crush… certified in November 2001. Go over to Ironmind’s Captain Of Crush Who’s Who and you’ll see my name there.

Anyone who is in the world of grip, you name them and chances are I’ve either met them in person or I’ve talked to them.

If anyone has any questions about grip strength or grip training, just ask me! I’m glad to be a part of this forum!!

Sybersnott,

How did you train for the #3? How long did it take you to close the #3? Any tips or tricks that you’d recommend?

Think that should cover it. I’m working on closing the #2 right now and I’m always interested in any info or insights I can pick up, especially from someone who’s a certified COC. Thanks in advance for your help.

What the hell is the GripBoard?

[quote]noworks wrote:
How did you train for the #3? How long did it take you to close the #3? Any tips or tricks that you’d recommend?[/quote]

I trained for the #3 by doing heavy negatives. Most people do them on the grippers, I did too but I found out that that method was slow and the least productive - at least for me.

If you really want to improve your grip, then get serious about it; get a grip machine and load it up heavy. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on one either, a good grip machine will pay off for itself in the long run. And just get the basic plate-loader… nothing fancy. New York Barbells sells a great basic plate-loader; that OR you can make one yourself if you have the plans and a welder to weld one together for you.

Then load it up heavy and go to work!!

I closed the #2 the day I got it, and eventually closed it with 2 fingers. I got about 1mm from closing the #3 but then never really followed up. I’m starting to get back into it now tho.

I seriously need to work on my grip.
yesterday, my right hand was losing it after 6 sets of 4 on the straight leg flat back deadlift with…get this… 200lbs!! i almost dropped the damn barbell.
yeh, I have no grip.

maybe I should invest in some grippers

sybersnot

i have just started with grip. i never use wraps and havea fai r grip. what principles are good to lay down around 1 gripper training, 2 bar/dl training. also, any other tips.

[quote]miniross wrote:
what principles are good to lay down around 1 gripper training, 2 bar/dl training. also, any other tips.[/quote]

1. GET THE GRIPPERS. I don’t know how many times guys ask questions about the grippers BUT they don’t have any! Well, how can you guage your grip strength if you don’t have a reference for it? Get at least the Trainer, the #1 and the #2. If you can fully master the #2, then get the #3. I can tell you this, the #2 is a cakewalk compared to the new #3’s coming out. They are friggin’ brutal!

2. Thick bar training for DL’s and other work. Either make one yourself or buy it; you can’t go wrong with a 2" thick bar and then going heavy, heavy, HEAVY on it! If you’re looking for one, PM me if you need some sources.

3. DROP THE STRAPS! You’re building functional working grip, so if you can’t lift it - then your grip is too weak, start training it.

4. Consider getting a grip machine. I’ve already discussed this back in a previous post. The benefits far outweigh the cost in the long run. I’ve build a GODZILLA-like grip using one and you can too. Buy one or make it yourself - again, let me know if you need a source that sells them.