Coan-Phillippi DL Routine Questions

For those who have tried this before,

-how much weight do you use for the assistance lifts?(I think something which allows you to complete 3x8,3x5 etc with 1 more rep in the tank?)

-what abs exercises to do?

-Do you still do some quad work eg lunges,front squats,backward sled drags on another day?

-I guess your sole upper body work is horizontal and vertical pushing?(Since pulling is on DL day)

Thanks…

I kept my 4 day split when I did the routine. My “back” day just consisted of the routine. I kept doing squats and all of my other exercises.

For the assistance exercises I did enough weight so that on the last 3x8 or 3x5 I was fuckin’ beat.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
For those who have tried this before,

-how much weight do you use for the assistance lifts?(I think something which allows you to complete 3x8,3x5 etc with 1 more rep in the tank?)

-what abs exercises to do?

-Do you still do some quad work eg lunges,front squats,backward sled drags on another day?

-I guess your sole upper body work is horizontal and vertical pushing?(Since pulling is on DL day)

Thanks…[/quote]

• For the circuits I used a moderate load but didn’t push hard.

• I did abb work on my squat training day

• I train my bench on bench day along with some light upper back work. Note I do no direct upper back work in the cirucits. Normally I do RDL, Shrugs, SLDL for the circuits.

I just got through with a cycle under this plan.

I found that I had a hard time going heavy on the assistance work and getting all my reps after all that pulling. This was especially true early on the cycle when the volume was high. For example, 495 for 5 is a good (though no PR-level) work set for me on stiff-legs. But after deadlifting a couple heavy doubles and 6 to 8 fast triples, 315 for 8 felt like hard work. Same thing on rows and good mornings.

I seldom do any specific ab exercises. I feel like if am doing doing plenty of pulls, squats, and good mornings and leaving the belt off for warm ups and rep work, my abs are gettign trained. Occassionally, I’ll do some hanging leg raises to stretch out especially if my back or hips feel tight

I squatted every week (heavy one week, light the next week) on a another day and did two or three of the following execises as accessory work: leg extensions, leg presses, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, sled pulling, calf raises, hi-bar pause squats, and kettlebell swings.

I benched twice a week. One workout being raw rep work (flat bench w/ bands, close-grip floor presses, incline illegal wide presses, heavy DB pressing). And another being a heavy day where I work up to a heavy single raw (off boards, or with chains, etc) and then put on a shirt and work up to a max triple or double. Sometime there is light shoulder work thrown in, but not too much.

1. The assistance work isn’t completely vital to the program IME. If you’re feeling good that day, hit it hard and heavy. If you’re shredded from the DLs and Speeds than just get the rep work in.

2. Bench I still trained but like IainK I didn’t do upper back work.

3. Squat and core training I still pursued intensely but with no DL or GM variations.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:

1. The assistance work isn’t completely vital to the program IME. If you’re feeling good that day, hit it hard and heavy. If you’re shredded from the DLs and Speeds than just get the rep work in.

2. Bench I still trained but like IainK I didn’t do upper back work.

3. Squat and core training I still pursued intensely but with no DL or GM variations.[/quote]

You watched me to the ed coan/ phillipi routine, lol
I did the exact same thing to get through this routine.

Unlike IA, I think the assistance is vital to the program. You don’t have to set PR’s on them, but you do need to push yourself, moreso after week 5 when supersets are done. To go along with this, your recovery has to be on point.

I did various ab exercises during the week, not on pull day. Whatever you find works best for you.

I pulled on Saturdays. Squats were on Tuesday. I did some upper back work on Wednesdays but made certain it wouldn’t be anything to tax my lower back. So, mainly chest supported rows, facepulls, etc.

The assistance stuff I started off real light but it got pretty heavy for me after week 5. Start conservative IMO

[quote]Kalle wrote:
The assistance stuff I started off real light but it got pretty heavy for me after week 5. Start conservative IMO[/quote]

x2… I started off pretty heavy, aqnd tried to make increases each seesion of no less than 10 pounds.

In addition to frying my system, it tore my hands up pretty good too. But, to get the full effect of the program with the most benefit… the assistance is a very important part of the program in my opinion. I was hoping for 45 lb gain, and in the end made an 85 lb gain.