Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Thread

some of you guys lift uber weights, see when you first started out what where you lifting then. suppose bone size and genetics comes into it doesnt it and height. i think if i got to the weights you where all lifting i would be massive lol

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Modi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Also, are we doing the circuit still after week 4? On the tsampa calculator it has sets and reps, and nothing about a circuit.

On week 5 you drop the circuit and perform all of your sets of one movement before going to the next. 90-120 sec rest between sets.

ok.

nother question, what if I fail the lifts. Do I do the same thing the next week or keep moving.

I ask because I’m supposed to pull my max+15 for 2 next monday.[/quote]

Don’t fail. Just lift the weight…plain and simple. :wink:

I would say that if you get one rep and miss on the second, then take 4-5 minutes rest and then come back and hit another single. If you miss both reps…well then welcome to my world…

If you are fail in week 4, then I would say back off on everything else, get plenty of food and rest, and then carry on with the program, because the load drops in week 5 but moves up to a triple. If you fail in week 3, or week 7, then I think you really need to rest up and then repeat the lift the following week. You shouldn’t be failing in week 6 unless you’re completely run down.

Confusing enough?

[quote]Modi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Modi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Also, are we doing the circuit still after week 4? On the tsampa calculator it has sets and reps, and nothing about a circuit.

On week 5 you drop the circuit and perform all of your sets of one movement before going to the next. 90-120 sec rest between sets.

ok.

nother question, what if I fail the lifts. Do I do the same thing the next week or keep moving.

I ask because I’m supposed to pull my max+15 for 2 next monday.

Don’t fail. Just lift the weight…plain and simple. :wink:

I would say that if you get one rep and miss on the second, then take 4-5 minutes rest and then come back and hit another single. If you miss both reps…well then welcome to my world…

If you are fail in week 4, then I would say back off on everything else, get plenty of food and rest, and then carry on with the program, because the load drops in week 5 but moves up to a triple. If you fail in week 3, or week 7, then I think you really need to rest up and then repeat the lift the following week. You shouldn’t be failing in week 6 unless you’re completely run down.

Confusing enough?[/quote]

nope, thanks.

Today:
Deadlift
315x2
365x1
380x2, pr lckout was questionable on the second one

Speed deads:
6x3 315

circuit

SLDL
225x8
245x8
hands were too ripped up to continue, as in bleeding

db rows
2x8 90
1x8 95pr

lat pulldowns
132 2x8
144x8pr

GMs
95x8
115x8
135x6

SLDL
225x8
245x8
[/quote]

Ok, this is the perfect time to use wrist straps. You already know that your grip is strong enough to lift more than this, because you just did it on DL’s and Speed Deads. If using a pair of straps lets you finish your workout, then throw them on.

I used them once or twice during the program when my hands were too chewed up to continue without them. The goal is to hit your hammies and low back with this movement, not strengthen your grip, so don’t be afraid.

Sorry Zep, this isn’t directected at you, just wanted to put that out there for everyone.

Today:
Deadlift
380x2, pr lckout was questionable on the second one

[/quote]

Nice job on the PR by the way.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Ok, this is the perfect time to use wrist straps. You already know that your grip is strong enough to lift more than this, because you just did it on DL’s and Speed Deads. If using a pair of straps lets you finish your workout, then throw them on.

I used them once or twice during the program when my hands were too chewed up to continue without them. The goal is to hit your hammies and low back with this movement, not strengthen your grip, so don’t be afraid.

Sorry Zep, this isn’t directected at you, just wanted to put that out there for everyone. [/quote]

BLASPHEMY!!! Don’t you know wrist straps will cause your testicles to shrink into nothingness. Just like using a belt will cause your spine to deteriorate!!!

[quote]ginger_spartan wrote:
some of you guys lift uber weights, see when you first started out what where you lifting then. suppose bone size and genetics comes into it doesnt it and height. i think if i got to the weights you where all lifting i would be massive lol[/quote]

I’m 5’7", 178#. Genetics?

[quote]novaeer wrote:
Modi wrote:

Sorry Zep, this isn’t directected at you, just wanted to put that out there for everyone.

BLASPHEMY!!! Don’t you know wrist straps will cause your testicles to shrink into nothingness. Just like using a belt will cause your spine to deteriorate!!!
[/quote]

Oh, shit. Busted. :wink:

What I meant was that he should be using a hook grip and rubbing ammonia on the open wounds. Blood makes the hands stickier, and is superior to chalk at times. Somehow it must gotten confused in translation.

[quote]novaeer wrote:
Modi wrote:

[/quote]

I have to admit to using them, but only on the power shrugs.

There was no way I could hold on to those!

[quote]ginger_spartan wrote:
some of you guys lift uber weights, see when you first started out what where you lifting then. suppose bone size and genetics comes into it doesnt it and height. i think if i got to the weights you where all lifting i would be massive lol[/quote]

I fluctuated between 215-225lbs for about 5 years straight before I decided to make a change. I was 218 two summers ago. 242 last summer, and 265 now. It’s all about being consistent with your training and eating. If you want something badly enough, you make it a priority.

No offense guys, but I don’t think any one here is even close to reaching their genetic potential yet.

[quote]Modi wrote:
ginger_spartan wrote:
some of you guys lift uber weights, see when you first started out what where you lifting then. suppose bone size and genetics comes into it doesnt it and height. i think if i got to the weights you where all lifting i would be massive lol

I fluctuated between 215-225lbs for about 5 years straight before I decided to make a change. I was 218 two summers ago. 242 last summer, and 265 now. It’s all about being consistent with your training and eating. If you want something badly enough, you make it a priority.

No offense guys, but I don’t think any one here is even close to reaching their genetic potential yet.[/quote]

Gee I hope not. Even at 30 (gasp) I have a lot of room left.

[quote]Modi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
SLDL
225x8
245x8

Sorry Zep, this isn’t directected at you, just wanted to put that out there for everyone. [/quote]

honestly, I tried them on the first day. I have no clue how to make them work, lol.

[quote]Modi wrote:
ginger_spartan wrote:

No offense guys, but I don’t think any one here is even close to reaching their genetic potential yet.[/quote]

you mean I’m not hyuge? damnit.

Modi wrote:
ginger_spartan wrote:

No offense guys, but I don’t think any one here is even close to reaching their genetic potential yet.

you mean I’m not hyuge? damnit.[/quote]

You may be hyuge already, but you can always be hyuger…

My week 2 workout (7/30/08 - Finally!)

What a weird week. I worked out Saturday and felt fine. That night I started getting congested. Sunday it got worse. Monday I woke up feeling horrible and went to the doctor. All she gave me was nose spray. Tuesday I woke up at 4am coughing so hard I thought I was gonna puke. Felt a little better as the day wore on. Today, woke up feeling much better. Decided to chance working out.

I took my lunch to work today but I ended up throwing most of it away because it didn’t taste right. (Could be because of my congestion.) Ate popcorn for a snack. Got hungry again and knew if I went to the gym like that I would get nauseated during my workout. Went to the vending machine looking for something reasonably healthy and filling. Got a 3 Musketeers which fulfilled half of that criteria.

Enough with the preamble.

DL 135x10,225x5,295x2,355x2,290x3(8x)

Bent over to start loading the bar for warmups and developed a headache. Tried to ignore it and warmed up anyway. Did 295 double overhand, although the bar slipped a little on the 2nd rep. Very happy w/ that.

355 went up much easier than I thought. That’s a good sign for the next 2 weeks. Speed DL started ok, but around the 5th set they really slowed down.

Circuit 3x
RDL 205x8, Rows 115x8, GMs 135x8

Grip was wearing out by the time I got to RDLs, so I switched to mixed grip for the last 2 circuits. The very last rep I realized I bent over instead of shoving my butt back so I did another rep just to make sure I hit the hams.

Rows still felt relatively easy, so I’ll bump those up next week. I dropped weight on the GMs and they felt better. Challenging, but not wearing me out.

I gotta make sure I go to bed early tonight. The stress from working out will either make me break down completely and get truly sick or force my body to heal itself and get over this congestion. Praying for the latter.

Edit: Decided to match Zephead and increase my goal to 445, which is why I went for 355 today instead of 340. I think I could’ve cranked out another couple reps at 355, so I’m excited about this.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:

Edit: Decided to match Zephead and increase my goal to 445, which is why I went for 355 today instead of 340. I think I could’ve cranked out another couple reps at 355, so I’m excited about this.
[/quote]

pulling pr+15 for 2 on monday is going to be a battle. WHat do you pull next week?

Phydeaux wrote:

pulling pr+15 for 2 on monday is going to be a battle. WHat do you pull next week?[/quote]

1. How did 380 go up for you?

i will be starting this cycle next monday to bring my dead from 405 to 450 i hope, will still squat two days a week and bench 2 days a week should be fun :slight_smile:

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

pulling pr+15 for 2 on monday is going to be a battle. WHat do you pull next week?

1. How did 380 go up for you?[/quote]

good, I did them both wiothin 2 seconds of each other, the first one went up easy, the second one I lost my groove and had to grind at lockout.