T Nation

Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Thread

Mahwah hit the nail on the head. Eat and sleep. Those are the keys.

Challenge yourself on the circuit, but don’t run yourself into the ground. I think you’d be better served giving 110% on the Deads and Speed Deads, and then paying closer attention to form on the accessory work. Still go heavy, but make sure you are feeling it the way you should be

Copied from Phydeaux’s old log:

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Modi wrote:
I just wanted to remind you guys that when you get to week 5, you should only be doing one set of 3 reps @ 80%. The 3x3 that is listed in most programs is a misprint.

That is one major point I got from your log. It looks so out of place in the programming.[/quote]

I actually had several e-mails with Mark Philippi about that. Unfortunately by the time we figured out it was a misprint, I had already done the 3x3 w/505. I’ve never met him in person, but seemed like a really decent guy through our correspondence, and was happy to help.

Phydeaux wrote:
Week 1 - Last night (7/21/08).

Did all w/o gloves. I’ve been trying to improve my grip and have slowly been phasing out glove usage.

When state gloves, do you mean straps or do you really mean gloves? Using gloves would be like using a fat bar IMO.[/quote]

I have some gloves w/ thick wrist wraps. I do use them for farmer’s walks, because invariably the DBs shift in my hands and end up pressing against my wrists. So the padding comes in quite handy for that.

Phydeaux wrote:
I think I’ll post just my Coan workouts here and save the non-Coan ones for my blog. No need to clutter up this thread w/ unrelated workouts.

Modi felt that his pursuit of squat PRs hampered his DL program. I am taking the opposite extreme by not doing any other leg/back workouts. They will be hit only on Mondays during Coan. So let’s see what happens.

That is extreme. Not even some “maintenance” level of work? I’m not trying to talk you into doing more, just curious.[/quote]

Well… :slight_smile: it is tempting for me to do more. I still plan to do 2 other workouts/week focusing on chest/shoulders. I’ve been lifting for 2 years now, and I guess I can call myself an intermediate.

It’s 10 weeks, and my last DL PR was in Feb, so … kinda rambling here. I’ll go for it and we’ll find out if it works or doesn’t.

[quote]novaeer wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
I think I’ll post just my Coan workouts here and save the non-Coan ones for my blog. No need to clutter up this thread w/ unrelated workouts.

Modi felt that his pursuit of squat PRs hampered his DL program. I am taking the opposite extreme by not doing any other leg/back workouts. They will be hit only on Mondays during Coan. So let’s see what happens.

I did the Coan program back in the winter. It’s solid, but I ran out of time prepping for a meet so I had to pare back on the pulls.

I’d at least do some maintenance level work like a 3x5 (70-80% of max) or something on the squat, and work it off a parallel box (free squat if that’s the way you roll). Working it at this intensity will help build some strength, but not kill you when it comes time to DL.

BTW, Phydeaux where in Virginia are you?[/quote]

Richmond (Midlothian). You?

I’m certainly no expert at lifting. If most of y’all think I should at least do maintenance lifts and that it’ll help, then I’m willing to change.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
Well, 490 was my comp max. I had pulled 510 two weeks before in training.

My goal was to get to 550 by Oct so I overshot. The first pull I missed was the 530x2 in week 8, but I got it once which was a PR.

Last Sat I pulled the shit out of 545.

As long as you are eating enough and allowing for recovery, I don’t think 60# is too much.

Only one way to find out, right?
[/quote]

Man, that’s awesome.

Have you done other leg/back workouts? Zep, TDA, and Nova are all questioning my sanity. :wink: So I’m reconsidering my plan.

Edit: on your program it looks like you hit PRs weeks 4 and 7-10. How did week 4 feel? Was it smooth or a grinder? Other than the week 8 miss, have you pretty much nailed them all?

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
mahwah wrote:

My goal was to get to 550 by Oct so I overshot. The first pull I missed was the 530x2 in week 8, but I got it once which was a PR.

As long as you are eating enough and allowing for recovery, I don’t think 60# is too much.

Man, that’s awesome.

Have you done other leg/back workouts? Zep, TDA, and Nova are all questioning my sanity. :wink: So I’m reconsidering my plan.
[/quote]

I just hit a squat, leg press, and glute ham PR yesterday.

THAT was a great session.

I just wanted to point out:

this thread is made of win.

I think it would be useful for all of us to post the routines we’re using outside of the coan deadlift. Since this is experimental for all of us, we can see who did the best, and give ideas for other people following this thread.

for me:

Monday:
C-P deadlift cycle

Tuesday:
Me press variation (floor press,board press, bench press)
military press
dumbell bench
tricep extentions

Thursday:
squat
glute hams
leg press
calf raises

Fri(optional)
speed bench
jerk press

If I don’t plan on doing the speed bench session (like I don’t atm, because I’m getting over tendonitis). I may move the press day to wednesday.

How I plan on lifting AFTER c-p:

Monday:
Squat
box squats w/ chains
glute hams
leg press
Chins

Tuesday:
Me press variation
military press
dumbell bench
tricep extentions

Thursday:
Deadlift
cable row
kroc rows
calves

Friday(optional):
speed bench
jerk press

I might squeeze some oly lifting in somewhere, but idk where right now.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
I’m certainly no expert at lifting. If most of y’all think I should at least do maintenance lifts and that it’ll help, then I’m willing to change.

[/quote]

I would recommend maintenance on Squats. I can almost guarantee you will lose something if you don’t squat for 10 weeks.

Keep it simple and don’t tax yourself. Even working up to a few singles at 90% would probably be enough. Or go lighter and do a 3x3, 5x3 or 3x5. Just don’t avoid it altogether. I wouldn’t try to set any PR’s while your doing C/P, but keep lifting.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:

Richmond (Midlothian). You?

[/quote]

Fairfax County.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
mahwah wrote:

Man, that’s awesome.

[/quote]

Looks like some pretty hardcore lifting here. I’ll grab some popcorn and watch the show.

Good stuff guys.

Workout today (7/26/08)

18" box squats - 135x10,225x5,295x2,335x4 (tied PR), 315x1(4x).

So I listened to the wisdom of the masses, sorta. I really wanted that 5th rep at 335 but couldn’t budge off the box. My legs were shaking a little on the 1st 4 reps. I followed it w/ a few singles.

I won’t attempt a PR again for the duration of the program. I just tried today since I’ve only completed the 1st workout. I think the rest of the time I will do sets around 295-315.

Db vert press - 30x10,40x10,45x10

Nothing special. Trying to build shoulder strength back up.

bench (in rack off pins) - 135x5, 185x5(3x)

I decided to try something new w/ bench today & did it in the squat rack. The pins were about 3-4" off my chest. The sets of 185 were quite difficult, especially that 1st rep going from a dead stop so low. I’m hoping that it will improve my bench, because whenever I miss one it’s always just off my chest. What do y’all think?

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
Man, that’s awesome.

Edit: on your program it looks like you hit PRs weeks 4 and 7-10. How did week 4 feel? Was it smooth or a grinder? Other than the week 8 miss, have you pretty much nailed them all?[/quote]

Well, just got done with week 10.

I got 560 above the knees and just didn’t have the positioning to lock it out. However, at the start of this program my weakness was off the floor, so I’m chalking up this program as a success.

Here was my schedule

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - DE Lower
Thursday - Shoulders and Arms
Friday - off
Saturday - Deadlifts

On my back days I made sure to put as little stress on the lower back as possible. Pullups, DB Rows, chest-supported T-Bar, facepulls, seated DB powercleans.

On my leg days (wed.), I played with it by feel. I did a lot of high rep stuff, squats 315x15, 365x8x3 are PR’s set. On week 5 when the DL weight falls back, I went for a 1RM and hit 450 for a 35# PR and somewhere in there I did a 405x4. Natural GHRs every Wed. and heavy ab work.

I had enough time to recover by Sat from these two sessions and feel that the Squat PRs are owed to all the heavy pulling.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I think it would be useful for all of us to post the routines we’re using outside of the coan deadlift. Since this is experimental for all of us, we can see who did the best, and give ideas for other people following this thread.
[/quote]

The Texas Method

Week 1
Monday volume, 5x5
squat
military
power clean
weighted dips 3x5
weighted pull-ups 3x5

Wednesday recovery, 3x3 w/ 10% less than Monday
front squat
bench press
power clean

Friday, originally pr/max day

Coan-Phillipi

Week 2
Monday volume, 5x5
squat
bench
power clean
weighted dips 3x5
weighted pull-ups 3x5

Wednesday recovery, 3x3 w/ 10% less than Monday
front squat
military
power clean

Friday, originally pr/max day

Coan-Phillipi

My training log:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1893072&pageNo=16

I plan on replacing the cleans starting this week with barbell rows. Too much direct back work?

This is the first Monday since I started that I have NOT been sore. Why you may ask? I ate a lot of food and slept at least 7 hours Saturday and Sunday.

So there IS something to be said about [edit]proper recovery.

This is the first Monday since I started that I have NOT been sore. Why you may ask? I ate a lot of food and slept at least 7 hours Saturday and Sunday.

So there IS something to be said about [edit]proper recovery.[/quote]

The first week I was SORE. THe second week wasn’t as bad though. I think it’s also we’re adapting. My routine has had nothing like the circuit as far as needing endurance and rarely above 5 reps goes.

Also, are we doing the circuit still after week 4? On the tsampa calculator it has sets and reps, and nothing about a circuit.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Also, are we doing the circuit still after week 4? On the tsampa calculator it has sets and reps, and nothing about a circuit.[/quote]

On week 5 you drop the circuit and perform all of your sets of one movement before going to the next. 90-120 sec rest between sets.

[quote]Modi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Also, are we doing the circuit still after week 4? On the tsampa calculator it has sets and reps, and nothing about a circuit.

On week 5 you drop the circuit and perform all of your sets of one movement before going to the next. 90-120 sec rest between sets.[/quote]

ok.

nother question, what if I fail the lifts. Do I do the same thing the next week or keep moving.

I ask because I’m supposed to pull my max+15 for 2 next monday.