Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Thread

This is a general training thread for those that would like to join in on a little fun.

Zephead, Phydeaux, and myself have all started the C-P cycle just recently. Modi suggested that this thread be created so that other may benefit. Not a bad idea.

Coincidentally, our starting and ending weights are all the same - beginning around 385 with the goal of 425 at the end of the cycle. So this also makes for some good competition.

If anyone else wants to post their past sessions or want to start new, this is the place. This is the link to help get you started:

Yes, I am a Matt “Kroc” Kroczaleski just like many others. If his strength is not inspiring, then you suck.

07/11/08
Coan/Philipi Deadlift Cycle Week 1

deadlift
2x320

speed deadlift
8x3x255

Circuit

stiff-legged dl 2x8x185
barbell row 2x8x185
reverse lat pulldown 2x8x180
good morning 2x8x65

bw = 249

Well that was a good workout. If this cycle exposes your weaknesses then strengthens them, I will be happy. The weakness brought out today was my lower back. Wow. Tight as something that is really tight. I like the variety of this program. Couple of heavy lifts. Some speed work. Then accessory lifts. Good all around.

I already messed it up though. The circuit was supposed to be three rounds, not two. I could have gotten through it with the weight I selected. The only exercise that could have given me trouble was the reverse lat pulldowns.

Stiff legged deadlifts and good mornings were fun. I have never done those before. I need to double check my form on the stiffies. The weight could have been higher on both, and will be for next week.

Barbell rows were a piece of cake.

Time to recover.

07/18/08
Coan/Philipi Deadlift Cycle Week 2

deadlift,no belt
0x345, about 3/4 rep
0x345, about 3/4 rep
straps
2x345

speed deadlift, 60 sec rest
8x3x275

Circuit 3x, 60 sec rest

stiff-legged dl 8x195
barbell row 8x195
reverse lat pulldown 8x180
good morning 8x75

bw = 249

Real good workout. I was satisfied with my performance at least. Also short on time, so I decrease rest time from 90 to 60 seconds.

Heavy singles were, well, heavy. Just couldn’t grip the bar near the top of the rep. I almost, almost counted those two missed reps. Decided to be honest with myself and my training and use the crutch. Sure, some say use 'em if you got 'em. I tend to agree. Why miss a lift if you can use straps? So I did and am grateful for that.

Speed work wasn’t so speedy at first. My back and hips were still numb from the heavies. I say numb because they felt odd, but not painful. Just numb. Reduced rest time worked out ok. I prefer less time. 90 seconds is just too long.

Real pleased with the circuit work. I actually did the three cycles which was very tiring and demanding on my grip. Had to use the straps on the rows and pull-downs for the second and third cycle. Everything felt real good.

My back was tingling after all was said and done. Not sure what that means. Felt like spiders were crawling all-around. Time to recover.

Give it your all!

Best advice I can give you is never to get discouraged- there comes a point around week 4 when you’re so beat up and the Speed Deadlifts are so heavy that they’re regular deadlifts- but just keep pushing through. That’s the program at work.

Cool! I’ll post mine here shortly.

Week 1 - Last night (7/21/08).

Did all w/o gloves. I’ve been trying to improve my grip and have slowly been phasing out glove usage.

DL - 135x10, 225x5, 275x2, 320x2. Felt good, some work but went up smoothly. Especially pleased that I did double overhand on the 275 and the bar stayed tight in my hands.

Speed DL w/ 255 - Not exactly fast, but got them all.

RDL - got lots of good pointers from Modi on these. Did 205. PR on these is 245x10.

Rows - 115. I had started to tank on these in WS4SB, peaking out at 145x10. Felt easy. May bump up 10 lbs.

GM - Ugh. Attempted 1 @ 185 and realized I wouldn’t get the 3x8. Dropped it to 165 and ground these out. My PR on these is 255, so I’m really taking it “easy”.

Based on how my low back feels today, I may drop the GM even further to 135. I’m definitely getting a ton of low back work on this plan.

I think I’ll post just my Coan workouts here and save the non-Coan ones for my blog. No need to clutter up this thread w/ unrelated workouts.

Modi felt that his pursuit of squat PRs hampered his DL program. I am taking the opposite extreme by not doing any other leg/back workouts. They will be hit only on Mondays during Coan. So let’s see what happens.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
Week 1 - Last night (7/21/08).

Did all w/o gloves. I’ve been trying to improve my grip and have slowly been phasing out glove usage.
[/quote]

When state gloves, do you mean straps or do you really mean gloves? Using gloves would be like using a fat bar IMO.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:
I think I’ll post just my Coan workouts here and save the non-Coan ones for my blog. No need to clutter up this thread w/ unrelated workouts.

Modi felt that his pursuit of squat PRs hampered his DL program. I am taking the opposite extreme by not doing any other leg/back workouts. They will be hit only on Mondays during Coan. So let’s see what happens.[/quote]

That is extreme. Not even some “maintenance” level of work? I’m not trying to talk you into doing more, just curious.

week 1:

haven’t done this much volume in a LONG TIME.

Deadlift:
335x2

speed deads:
265 8x3
Ripped a calouse(sp?)

circuit

SLDL
185 3x8

BOR
135 3x8

GM
135 3x8

no pulldowns. My hand was already fucked up and that thing is spiky,

Couldn’t use much weight because of the volume
I will be switching to dumbells for the rows too. I can’t stay in the position long enough with a fucked back to use a barbell

Week 2 coan DL cycle

Deadlift
315x2 warmup
355x2 workset

speed deads
295 8x3 was supposed to be 290 but not a big difference. These are really slow

Circuit:

SLDL
185x8
205x8PR
225x8PR

DB rows
90 3x8

Lat pulldowns
120 2x8 haven’t done these before
132x8

good mornings
95x8
115x8
135x8 baseline

my numbers are skewed because I used 445 as my goal, but that’s a little far fetched. So I’m finishing at 425

I’m doing legs as I see fit. My hammys where a bit sore last time I squatted, but I still hit a PR. I won’t be going for a PRs on week 4 and the last few, but I’m a back puller so I don’t think it’ll affect me too much.

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:

Modi felt that his pursuit of squat PRs hampered his DL program. I am taking the opposite extreme by not doing any other leg/back workouts. They will be hit only on Mondays during Coan. So let’s see what happens.[/quote]

I did the Coan program back in the winter. It’s solid, but I ran out of time prepping for a meet so I had to pare back on the pulls.

I’d at least do some maintenance level work like a 3x5 (70-80% of max) or something on the squat, and work it off a parallel box (free squat if that’s the way you roll). Working it at this intensity will help build some strength, but not kill you when it comes time to DL.

BTW, Phydeaux where in Virginia are you?

I am at week 10 tomorrow.

I am gonna follow it all the way through with a meet at the eleventh week. Deadlift only.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
I am at week 10 tomorrow.

I am gonna follow it all the way through with a meet at the eleventh week. Deadlift only.
[/quote]

70 pound increase? did you feel that was too much? DO you think me going from 385-445 is too much?

Well, 490 was my comp max. I had pulled 510 two weeks before in training.

My goal was to get to 550 by Oct so I overshot. The first pull I missed was the 530x2 in week 8, but I got it once which was a PR.

Last Sat I pulled the shit out of 545.

As long as you are eating enough and allowing for recovery, I don’t think 60# is too much.

Only one way to find out, right?

[quote]mahwah wrote:

My goal was to get to 550 by Oct so I overshot. The first pull I missed was the 530x2 in week 8, but I got it once which was a PR.

As long as you are eating enough and allowing for recovery, I don’t think 60# is too much.

[/quote]

I’m going for 445 then. I need to gain like 10-15 pounds asap anyways.

Anyone else wanna step it up?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
mahwah wrote:

I’m going for 445 then. I need to gain like 10-15 pounds asap anyways.

Anyone else wanna step it up?[/quote]

Gee, thanks. I just get done with week three and NOW you a battle?

Coan-Philipi Deadlift Cycle Week 3

deadlift,no belt,no straps, alt grip
2x365 (supposed to be 360)

speed deadlift,60 sec rest,no belt
no straps, alt grip
3x3x300
straps, DOH grip
3x3x300

Circuit 3x, 60 sec rest, no belt
straps
stiff-legged dl 8x205
barbell row 8x205
reverse lat pulldown 8x190
good morning 8x135

bw = 246

FANTASTIC workout today if I don’t say so myself.

I was a little intimidated by the heavy singles. I really don’t know why. So I quickly got those thoughts out of my head and imagined pulling both reps. Switched to alternate grip which helped big time. Special shout out to Modi for that reminder. Program called for 360 but I did 365 so I didn’t have to use the 2.5’s. Just looks better without them.

Speed deadlifts felt real good, just wearing on my hands. Put on the good old straps to help get me through. The template was scheduled for 300, so I almost added another 5 because I don’t like using 2.5’s. I take advantage of the speed work to concentrate on my form as well.

Circuit work is just plain tiring. True, I could increase the rest to 90+ seconds, but I also enjoy the challenge.

Stiff legged deadlift form is finally catching on. I should use 225 next time. Same for the rows.

Pull-down only goes in 10 lb increments, thus the jump from 180 to 190. Well I nailed all the reps. Man handled them I did.

I really tired to push myself on the GM’s. Lower back has been a real weak link in all of my training. I took a 60 lb leap from last week with more left in the tank. Probably hit 155 or 165 next week.

I’m really enjoying this cycle. When I’m done with the workout I always feel re-energized. My back also gets a tingling sensation. This cycle also takes a beating on your hips, or my hips maybe not yours. Weak point again?

Time to rest up for the big week 4 challenge.

Good luck to everyone. This should be a good thread.

I’ll be happy to contribute along the way. Novaeer not only has knowledge of the program, but is well versed in PLing in general, so pick his brain if you get a chance.