T Nation

Coan/Phillipi Deadlift Routine Fail

Today was the eighth week of this routine for me. I hadn’t had any problems with it up until last week. It honestly kind of confused me since week 4 and 7 are the same. Week 4 @ 415x2 went smoothly for me. On week 7 I missed a rep on it. I have read that even if you miss a rep on this program you should keep trucking until the next week. Tried 440 today and failed. After last week I kind of seen it coming.

Before this routine I had never really did much volume on deadlifts. I had pretty much just been going 3 sets of heavy weight and making progression like that. Do you guys think the volume might have just caught up to me? I am probably gonna take a week off from DL next week and recharge the batteries.

I am probably gonna switch routines since there is no way I am going to be able to complete the last 2 weeks. You guys have any suggestions for deadlift routines?

[quote]manu1433 wrote:
Tried 440 today and failed. After last week I kind of seen it coming.[/quote]

Sounds like your problem is mental. 440 had you beat before you got to the gym.

You will never be able to lift anything if you think you can’t do it.

[quote]manu1433 wrote:
Today was the eighth week of this routine for me. I hadn’t had any problems with it up until last week. It honestly kind of confused me since week 4 and 7 are the same. Week 4 @ 415x2 went smoothly for me. On week 7 I missed a rep on it. I have read that even if you miss a rep on this program you should keep trucking until the next week. Tried 440 today and failed. After last week I kind of seen it coming.

Before this routine I had never really did much volume on deadlifts. I had pretty much just been going 3 sets of heavy weight and making progression like that. Do you guys think the volume might have just caught up to me? I am probably gonna take a week off from DL next week and recharge the batteries.

I am probably gonna switch routines since there is no way I am going to be able to complete the last 2 weeks. You guys have any suggestions for deadlift routines?[/quote]

Need more information to say for sure but you may not have been quite ready to try the Coan/Phillipi program which I would consider to be for pretty advanced lifters.

Week 8 is a common spot to fail at. The other possibility is you may have set your max a bit high to begin the program. I ran it prior to my last meet and hit a 15 pd. gym PR and a 36 pd. meet PR after completely tearing my bicep tendon earlier in the meet so you can definitely make gains on the program.

Hard to give you advice on a program going forward without more information but based on what you have written so far increasing your volume while decreasing your percentages for a while may be in order.

Week eight is nonsense. That’s what happened. I know that this program has two very big names attached to it, and it might be sacrilegious to say so, but the progression makes little to no sense. While it is a bit disconcerting that you would miss a rep on week seven (while being able to do it on week four), I wouldn’t worry too much about missing on week eight.

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Need more information to say for sure but you may not have been quite ready to try the Coan/Phillipi program which I would consider to be for pretty advanced lifters.
[/quote]

Personally, I would say the opposite: Coan/Phillipi is pretty well suited for novice-intermediates with an athletic background. They can at least improve at a fast enough rate to pull 95% of a desired 1RM after only seven weeks of programmed training. For a more advanced lifter with slower progression, the programming is likely going to be too aggressive, unless they set their desired 1RM very low.

[quote]KyleKeough wrote:

[quote]DBasler wrote:
[/quote]

Personally, I would say the opposite: Coan/Phillipi is pretty well suited for novice-intermediates with an athletic background. They can at least improve at a fast enough rate to pull 95% of a desired 1RM after only seven weeks of programmed training. For a more advanced lifter with slower progression, the programming is likely going to be too aggressive, unless they set their desired 1RM very low.[/quote]

I agree with Kyle regarding being conservative setting your desired 1 rep max which is why I suggested that may have been your issue.

[quote]DBasler wrote:

[quote]KyleKeough wrote:

[quote]DBasler wrote:
[/quote]

Personally, I would say the opposite: Coan/Phillipi is pretty well suited for novice-intermediates with an athletic background. They can at least improve at a fast enough rate to pull 95% of a desired 1RM after only seven weeks of programmed training. For a more advanced lifter with slower progression, the programming is likely going to be too aggressive, unless they set their desired 1RM very low.[/quote]

I agree with Kyle regarding being conservative setting your desired 1 rep max which is why I suggested that may have been your issue. [/quote]

I am kind of depressed now as I went and checked the spreadsheet for the routine. I just realized that this week was supposed to have been 440x2…i wrote in my log before I went to the gym 440x1…So that really freaking sucks.

You are probably right. I started at a max of 415. I was shooting for a max of 460 when I was finished. I probably should have tried to shoot for a max of 440 or so.

Next week the program requires me to work up to 450x1…you guys think I should just shoot for 440x1 or 430x1 next weeek? Or should I just scrap the routine all together?

I should also mention that I am about 205 or so and have been lifting for about 10 months now. I started that Coan routine when I moved into intermediate lifter territory and couldn’t get keep progressing by adding weight to the bar. I made it to 385x3 doing this method.

Thanks for the input guys.

See how you feel, if 420/430 feels good, keep going. Don’t be so stringent.

For what its worth i actually just finished a run with this routine. I started with a 535 max and ended with the predicted 565 max. After week 7 i sensed that week 8 would be nearly impossible so i finished the last 3 weeks with singles ending with my predicted max. Using Wendlers max formula, the week 8 double puts you about 10lbs over your finishing max. didnt make much sense to me.

overall liked the routine alot. The volume is definately bordering on overtraining though. It also seems that to program more than a 30lb max would guarantee failure unless your max wasnt a true max attempt. In a couplke of month i am going to run it again, but only with a 20lb jump.

I’ve missed a rep at Week 8 before and still went on to pull 40 lb PR. Don’t get discouraged - it’s a heavy overreaching program and you probably just need another week to be fully recovered.