Coan/ Philipi Deadlift Routine

I’m looking for advice, Would it be possible to add around 80 pounds to a dead lift in 20 weeks? Currently I can dead lift 160kg for 1 rep and I’m looking to get it to 190kg around 419 pounds, for the British Open Championships on the 17th April.

So I’m wondering would Coan/Philipi be adequate for my needs? experiences with The deadlift cycle would be appreciated as well

Tiny

I know two guys who used it. One is 340 and it didn’t do anything for him, it was too high in volume. The other guy was ~165 and it worked for him… He pulled 660.

If I remember correctly, is the Coan / Phillipi deadlift routine a 10 week program, so you plan it to run it twice in a row?

What are you training stats (lift/years/etc) and current routine. Come on man, if you’re looking for help dont be so lazy that you dont provide us any info.

You won’t run it twice in a row and be successful, I’d nearly guarantee that.

Spent several days hanging out with Ed Coan at WPF Worlds last week. He’d like everyone to know that he didn’t create this program. Mark Philippi did it all. Coan said that he had used the program though, and that it was “fucking hard.” Consider that. Seems like few people who start it ever finish it.

I’ve run it three times with awesome results but always separated by at least 2 months.

It’s a man maker of a program, absolutely excellent, but I wouldn’t run it twice back to back unless you are on juice, eat like a wrecking crew of bears and… You know what I would just say don’t run it twice back to back, run something else for the first 10 weeks and then go to the Coan and be ready to eat, sleep and pull the hell out of a bar.

If you haven’t run it before then trust me, it is brutal it will bring your deadlift up as a guarantee but you will not be able to run it twice, you will in all likelihood get hurt, just do it once.

How is this routine split up?

DO I do the the speed work seperate from the work sets? When do I do the assistance work?

[quote]MikiB wrote:
How is this routine split up?

DO I do the the speed work seperate from the work sets? When do I do the assistance work?[/quote]

Do your work sets first, then your speed deads, and finish with the assistance work. The assistance work is done circuit style for the first 4 weeks. From week 5 on, you do all of your sets of one exercise before moving on to the next.

Good Calculator here: Tsampa.org: Coan-Phillipi 10 Week Deadlift Routine

I did this program last year and crashed pretty hard on it. I didn’t take in nearly enough calories, and had way too much stress in my life at the time.

If you are going to do this program, make it a priority. Put your other lifts in maintenance mode(especially Squat), get plenty of food and sleep, and don’t do it if you can’t put the effort into it. There’s nothing worse than busting your ass for 7 or 8 weeks and then hitting a wall only to realize that you’ve just wasted 2 months of good training.

It’s a very hard program, especially if you aren’t a naturally good DL’er.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:
Spent several days hanging out with Ed Coan at WPF Worlds last week. He’d like everyone to know that he didn’t create this program. Mark Philippi did it all. Coan said that he had used the program though, and that it was “fucking hard.” Consider that. Seems like few people who start it ever finish it. [/quote]

That’s hilarious- speaks volumes to the echo-chamber quality of the internet.

I did it early this year with some tweaks. I burn out on basic pulls quickly so I applied the peaking plan to two deadlift variants that had worked well for me in the past- reverse bands and deficit pulls. It was tough, but I finished it. The last couple weeks, I think I missed a few weights- but it went according to plan by and large. My contest deadlift stayed put for the most part. Actually, I missed the hell out of a 733 pull twice in the next meet- only 13 lbs over my previous best. Good luck!

How I’ve run it every time has been

Bench Monday
Coan Tuesday
bullshit (curls and the like) Wednesday
Bench and shoulder work Thursday
Speed Squat 5X3 @50% Friday
Saturday rest
Sunday rest

However I am pretty ridiculously deadlift oriented by nature, cutting squats down even further wouldn’t be out of the question. Go with what you can get on squats and it can’t be emphasized enough that you will NEED to EAT and SLEEP, this is almost Smolov like in its overall intensity. Having some newskin or superglue in case you lose a callous isn’t a bad thing either. Remember FOOD and SLEEP and you’ll get a lot out of this.

Sun speed bench arms
Monday shoulders
Tue Coan DL routine
wed rest
thur Bench

hows this look?

I’ve mine set up as;

Monday - accessory/weak points (pull ups, dumbbell bench, one arm rows, biceps, abs, 15-30 mins cardio)
Tuesday - Cardio (10 minute approx. CF style circuit + 30 mins cardio)
Wednesday - Coan Phillipi
Thursday - Bench accessory
Friday - Off/cardio as per Tuesday
Saturday - Squat (raw work, banded squats lightish, speed pull -50ish% 8-10x1, leg press, abs)
Sunday - Bench (ME, boards, rows, biceps, CF style circuit for approx 5-10 mins)

And I’m doing it all on a kcal deficit.

This is week 7;

Too 2 weeks off deadlifting after week 4, stuck on a suit coming into week 7 to make the rest of the weeks more manageable.

For comparison, this is week 4, check out the difference in bar speed.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
And I’m doing it all on a kcal deficit.
[/quote]

Good luck with that. I think it’s a bad plan, just from personal experience. I just couldn’t recover, but I did a lot of other things wrong while on C/P

Your back looks like it’s in a much better position in week 7 than week 4. Good luck finishing strong.

Well, I’m on the routine, and this week is Week 4. If I hit my targeted PR, then this program successfully put 35 lbs on my max in one month.

I’d recommend it, but if you’re planning on doing it twice back-to-back, then I probably wouldn’t recommend it. This routine seems more like a short-term kind of thing. If you want to go for 20 weeks straight, I think that you’d be better off going with 5/3/1 or something.

However, I’m no expert; if you’re keen on it, then go for it. Just remember to train your ass off, because in the end, that’s all that really matters.

This program tells me to shrug 605lbs. Both Coan and Philippi are stronger than I will ever be, but this seems fucking retarded. and 725lb speed pulls would not be very fucking fast at all. If your max is 100lbs, this would be the best program ever for you. Everyone else should probably just deadlift a lot.

Worked for me from 275 to 345 and 365 to 425, but I also think a basic 5x5 + food would have worked as well if I’d had the patience not to specialize so early. Regardless, it’s a hard as fuck program and no one that I know who’s finished the entire cycle (fuck week 4) has gotten less than 40 lbs out of it.

Keep in mind that Coan wrote the program for Mark Phillipi when he was around a 540 lb puller - I don’t know how applicable it’s going to be to someone pulling in the 6’s or above.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Worked for me from 275 to 345 and 365 to 425, but I also think a basic 5x5 + food would have worked as well if I’d had the patience not to specialize so early. Regardless, it’s a hard as fuck program and no one that I know who’s finished the entire cycle (fuck week 4) has gotten less than 40 lbs out of it.

Keep in mind that Coan wrote the program for Mark Phillipi when he was around a 540 lb puller - I don’t know how applicable it’s going to be to someone pulling in the 6’s or above.[/quote]

Per Coan, Phillipi wrote the program. See my post above.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
This program tells me to shrug 605lbs. Both Coan and Philippi are stronger than I will ever be, but this seems fucking retarded. and 725lb speed pulls would not be very fucking fast at all. If your max is 100lbs, this would be the best program ever for you. Everyone else should probably just deadlift a lot.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what is your starting and desired 1RM?

185 and 235.