T Nation

Coaching Task?

i have been given a coaching task at college where i have to carry out analysis of two performers and their techniques and equipment used.

It has to be done by making a 8 week plan to improve both performers and how i can improve them.

i want it to be from a strength point of view so i was thinking of doing an olympic lifter and maybe someone else.

any good ideas for two people to analyse?

[quote]irishpowerhouse wrote:
i have been given a coaching task at college where i have to carry out analysis of two performers and their techniques and equipment used.

It has to be done by making a 8 week plan to improve both performers and how i can improve them.

i want it to be from a strength point of view so i was thinking of doing an olympic lifter and maybe someone else.

any good ideas for two people to analyse?[/quote]

Do you have a background in OL? Because otherwise I don’t know how you are going to improve their performance.

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
irishpowerhouse wrote:
i have been given a coaching task at college where i have to carry out analysis of two performers and their techniques and equipment used.

It has to be done by making a 8 week plan to improve both performers and how i can improve them.

i want it to be from a strength point of view so i was thinking of doing an olympic lifter and maybe someone else.

any good ideas for two people to analyse?

Do you have a background in OL? Because otherwise I don’t know how you are going to improve their performance.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this post. You’ll need special background for something that technique driven. I’d say pick someone like a thrower or a football lineman. Strength and power.

Honestly, don’t pick an athlete that is in the business of being strong. That’d take an elite level coach. Pick a sport that could use improvements in strength that could probably be solved with a simple MWF Squat, Bench, Row type routine.

Do not; Powerlifter, Oly Lifter, Strongman.

Do; Golfer, Swimmer, Baseball, Basketball etc.

If you need help, PM me.

thanks for that. some good ideas there.

At the minute my idea is a rugby player and an olympic Rower. I just picked the rower because no one else is doing it and its a sport that would be interesting to research.

[quote]irishpowerhouse wrote:
thanks for that. some good ideas there.

At the minute my idea is a rugby player and an olympic Rower. I just picked the rower because no one else is doing it and its a sport that would be interesting to research. [/quote]

Depends on the level of challenge you want. How much of an impact will this have on the athlete? Will they be implementing your suggestions, or is it a mental exercise?

Rugby and rowing would be fun to be sure, but don’t let that discourage you from picking one “pure” strength athlete. I know a lot of powerlifters and strongmen who could use some good advice.

Maybe not in Ireland though. Although helping Glenn Ross improve performance would be pretty easy…

-Dan