T Nation

Coaches -Thoughts on Stability Balls

T-Nation Coaches what are your thoughts about the excessive use of stability balls in strength and conditioning programs? C.Poliquin was big into them when they first came out but now with all the studies coming out that show that work on stability balls decrease force production.

What do you think of them? Do you use them? DO you honestly think that doing squats on a stability ball or any stability ball work for that matter has any carry over onto the playing field?

For core work, I do like them. In my “21st Century Core Training” article, I referenced an article that discusses how it increases EMG activity in the rectus and obliques.

I will also use it occassionaly for db bench, db military’s, etc., but more for variety than anything else.

Stay strong
MR

“Mum” is the word on any kind of stability discussion for me for the next few weeks. We post-tested for my thesis on Friday; it’s the first study to look at a long-term training intervention with unstable surfaces in healthy, trained subjects. I’ve got some pretty sweet data on my hands.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
“Mum” is the word on any kind of stability discussion for me for the next few weeks. We post-tested for my thesis on Friday; it’s the first study to look at a long-term training intervention with unstable surfaces in healthy, trained subjects. I’ve got some pretty sweet data on my hands.[/quote]

awesome so does that mean you’ll post something about it in article form on T-Nation?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
“Mum” is the word on any kind of stability discussion for me for the next few weeks. We post-tested for my thesis on Friday; it’s the first study to look at a long-term training intervention with unstable surfaces in healthy, trained subjects. I’ve got some pretty sweet data on my hands.[/quote]

Now I can’t remember the details in the Think-Tank dialogs between EC and JD, but this thesis on long-term unstable training intervention would provide info on stuff that was argued because there is finally an explanation to either position?

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:

What do you think of them? Do you use them? DO you honestly think that doing squats on a stability ball or any stability ball work for that matter has any carry over onto the playing field?[/quote]

How would you use a stability ball for squats? What are the proposed benefits supposed to be?

One thing I really like using a ball for with my clients is to help them learn to stay more stable for bench pressing movements. Now bear in mind that I’m only talking about beginner, or mabye intermediate lifters here. But I’ve found that people who move around too much on a regular bench can learn to stay more stable after using a ball for db bench presses for several workouts.