Coaches Preferred Periodization

I’m trying to figure out what kind of periodization all the coaches of internet fame (Defranco, Cressey, Thib, baggett etc.) use with their athletes?

Also, what kind do you use? What do you think is most effective? Especially when you have a shorter (8-12 weeks) off season compared to a longer (4-6 months) one?

Defranco uses westside, so i’d assume he uses concurrent periodization or conjugate, whatever you want to call it. Don’t know about the other three you mentioned. James Smith aka “the thinker” over at elitefts, uses block periodization with his football players at pitt.

Ok, then here is where I get confused. Whether you call it concurrent or conjugate or whatever, it basically entails working multiple motor skills in the same training week.
What’s it called then when you work up to a max (whether it’s 3 or 5 or 1 rep max) along with speed, reactive etc. stuff every week for 3-4 weeks, then deload for a week. If concurrent describes the skills you work on in a set period, then what describes the volume, frequency and intensity of it?

Sheiko uses concentrated loading. At least I think that’s what it’s called.

Westside and Defranco are conjugate. To “conjugate” is to put together. Instead of focusing on one attribute at a time, you are putting multiple attributes (usually two primary ones, and they are usually complements) together in the same cycle. Thus, Westside focuses on max strength and strength-speed most of the time.

It is NOT the same as concurrent periodization, in which ALL relevant primary capacities are trained in the same cycle (max strength, hypertrophy, endurance, everything). Concurrent periodization tends not to work very well except in the case of raw beginners, in which case it does work well, and may even be the best choice under those circumstances.

If you only have a couple of months in which to get things done, conjugate periodization is generally a solid choice. It also tends to be very good for intermediates, who need more work in targeted areas to progress than they did when they were beginners, but it also allows them to progress in a couple areas at the same time. The concentrated loading setups tend to be more appropriate for advanced athletes.

Frequency, volume, and intensity can be anything in any of them, it just depends on what your goal is.

[quote]bballsavant wrote:
Ok, then here is where I get confused. Whether you call it concurrent or conjugate or whatever, it basically entails working multiple motor skills in the same training week.

What’s it called then when you work up to a max (whether it’s 3 or 5 or 1 rep max) along with speed, reactive etc. stuff every week for 3-4 weeks, then deload for a week. If concurrent describes the skills you work on in a set period, then what describes the volume, frequency and intensity of it?

[/quote]

Maximum effort, dynamic effort, repeated effort, etc