Coach, Where Do You Train?

CT, Thank you for the insights. I was looking at the specs on the Romaleos and I was curious about the overall performance of the shoe. Have you worn them before? I’ve heard positive things, but having never worn OLY shoes before I’m not sure what is a good v. poor performing shoe. Are there certain characteristics that are more important than others, i.e. heel elevation over shoe appearance?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

This is my garage. I do most of my own training there. To me training is my meditation and I prefer to train alone with no distractions.

I have…

• lifting platform
  • independant rack to do squats (I can also use it to bench press)
  • jerk boxes (to do jerks, push presses, military press and on which I can drop the bar after a jerk)
  • chin-up/ring dip station
  • bench
  • I use tires as lifting blocks
  • 5 different barbells (2 men olympic lifting bars, 1 powerlifting bar, 1 regular bar, 1 women olympic lifting bar)
  • Deadsquat bar
  • chalk box
  • not seen: chains, weight releasers
  • KBs

So I can do most of what I want. I sometimes do accessory work at one of the 3 gyms I coach.[/quote]

Are those your crossfit lifter 2.0s? If they are, do you like them? I have been thinking about getting a pair, but have read mixed reviews. They seem a little more “walk around” friendly, just from trying on a pair.

Thanks for your time.[/quote]

Yes they are. They are not a real weightlifting shoe. They do have the elevate solid heel like a regular weightlifting (olympic) shoe but they lack the stability. Still works, It doesn’t cause any problem for me when doing squats, deads, push presses and power snatches/cleans… also work for my snatches and cleans but I will still get real weightlifting shoes as I’m doing a lot of work on these last lifts and my powerfirm weightlifting shoes are getting old.[/quote]

Thanks for your response. I currently have a pair a Romaleos 2 and love them. I tried on a pair of Crossfit 2.0 in the store and found that jumps and walking was much easier and comfortable. I have been just changing shoes at the gym after squats. I might pick up a pair of these because if they don’t cause problems with the weights you lift, then I should be ok too (a lot less weight used lol).

Thanks again.

Just asked this on your twitter…Now there is a thread. Anyway CT you say you train at these two spots, but what about the gym where we see “form” on lots of exercises with like Dr. Hall and Chris Shugart. Where is that? Or do you not train there anymore?

And are you expensive to train with? Like would I have to win the Lottery or something? Just curious more than anything on these questions.

For those asking about lifting shoes. I have the Adipower, they are very nice. I have a friend who has gotten competitive in weightlifting who had the Adipower and then got the Romaleos and liked those better. He competes now. Two more guys at my gym have the Romaleos and are beasts and love them, and one of them competed at the cross fit regionals. Another friend of mine just got the Romaleos and he loves them too. Hope that helps.

[quote]SmearyToast wrote:
Just asked this on your twitter…Now there is a thread. Anyway CT you say you train at these two spots, but what about the gym where we see “form” on lots of exercises with like Dr. Hall and Chris Shugart. Where is that? Or do you not train there anymore?

And are you expensive to train with? Like would I have to win the Lottery or something? Just curious more than anything on these questions.[/quote]

The videos where shot at Biotest’s Headquarters in Colorado Springs. We have a fully equipped performance gym. When I’m there that’s where I train.

As for personal training. I do not want to divulge specifics. Training fees vary a lot depending on the country/town you are in. I’ve never been someone who is money-driven; my main motivation has always been to help as many people as I can so I do my best to be affordable for those who want to prioritize their training.

All, Based on reading reviews and from a few people I know that own them, the Nike Romeleos seem to be the choice of weightlifting shoe by people that have used the Adipower shoes. Thanks to everyone for contributing, as the expense of the shoes would be prohibitive without the comfort of hearing such positive feedback regarding the options under consideration. Cheers!

[quote]itisfinished wrote:
All, Based on reading reviews and from a few people I know that own them, the Nike Romeleos seem to be the choice of weightlifting shoe by people that have used the Adipower shoes. Thanks to everyone for contributing, as the expense of the shoes would be prohibitive without the comfort of hearing such positive feedback regarding the options under consideration. Cheers! [/quote]

I first bought a pair of Adipowers and my brother got the romaleos. After trying on his romaleos, I put my Adipowers on ebay and bought Romaleos, felt soo much better.

The videos where shot at Biotest’s Headquarters in Colorado Springs. We have a fully equipped performance gym. When I’m there that’s where I train.[/quote]

Oh alright well it certainly is equipped thats for sure! - And this whole time I thought it was yours.

Thats awesome! So to divulge specifics what is the proper way to go about doing that - in contacting you that is for an inquiry?

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]itisfinished wrote:
All, Based on reading reviews and from a few people I know that own them, the Nike Romeleos seem to be the choice of weightlifting shoe by people that have used the Adipower shoes. Thanks to everyone for contributing, as the expense of the shoes would be prohibitive without the comfort of hearing such positive feedback regarding the options under consideration. Cheers! [/quote]

I first bought a pair of Adipowers and my brother got the romaleos. After trying on his romaleos, I put my Adipowers on ebay and bought Romaleos, felt soo much better.[/quote]

State, That’s awesome! I’ve only worn OLY shoes a handful of times, many moons ago, and wouldn’t know what’s good or bad about them. I really appreciate the insights from people with experience with the different options. I’m going to purchase the Nikes and go from there. I’ll probably use my minimal shoes for my conditioning work, and limit the Nike usage to OLY lifts and squatting only. Should be fun to experiment with for a while.

Very interesting post !

Christian, what do you think about shoes with elevated heels for quad HYERTROPHY ?
I don’t mean power or pure strength, but quad recruitement for hypertrophy.

My idea is to use them after regular and heavy squat, for (example) front squats, ATG squat, or else (idea ?) for a more hypertrophy-oriented movement in the squat cage.

Thanks !
Mat’

[quote]mat_angus wrote:
Very interesting post !

Christian, what do you think about shoes with elevated heels for quad HYERTROPHY ?
I don’t mean power or pure strength, but quad recruitement for hypertrophy.

My idea is to use them after regular and heavy squat, for (example) front squats, ATG squat, or else (idea ?) for a more hypertrophy-oriented movement in the squat cage.

Thanks !
Mat’
[/quote]

There is no doubt that elevating the heel increases quads recruitment. I remember doing squats with my olympic lifting shoes AND putting my heels on two mats (total of about 1" high) and focusing on staying super upright, best quads stimulating I ever got from squats (did that for both front and back squats).

Thanks a lot !

Just another question : is it OK to use them for lunge or bulgarian or split squat ?

Mat’