T Nation

Coach Staley-Improving Bench

Coach any tips for improving raw bench strength? I’m just starting to bench 2 days a week and I’m trying to make a good ME(max effort) sets (3) ahy tips or ideas for me?

I recommend either of the excellent methods written about by Coach Staley in the following article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459265

TC,

Thanks heaps - I’ve been looking through my old training notes for that second routine in that article. I used it for the bench press with great effect about 5 years ago, but lost the program when I moved house.

You’ve made my day!

Massif

look good but i’m not all happy about doing 10 sets. Day 2 of bench for me is after a tough shoulder workout, I was only looking for a few sets

Thatnks TC, you beat me to it.

Try both of those methods for 6 weeks each…do the 2-day-a-week program first, then the 3-day-a-week program, and send me your results when you’re done. You’ll improve your bench by 10-15% in 12 weeks.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Coach any tips for improving raw bench strength? I’m just starting to bench 2 days a week and I’m trying to make a good ME(max effort) sets (3) ahy tips or ideas for me?[/quote]

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
look good but i’m not all happy about doing 10 sets. Day 2 of bench for me is after a tough shoulder workout, I was only looking for a few sets[/quote]

haha. awesome response: “thanks but no thanks.”

cool name though

Hi Charles,
Brandon Green

[quote]BFG wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:
look good but i’m not all happy about doing 10 sets. Day 2 of bench for me is after a tough shoulder workout, I was only looking for a few sets

haha. awesome response: “thanks but no thanks.”
[/quote]

Good Lord; that was funny. It might have been better phrased, “Do you have a great program that I can use if it fits in with my current plans?”

Hint for bigpump23: the fact that you have a full session devoted to a “tough shoulder workout” is probably the reason that your bench isn’t going anywhere in the first place.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
look good but i’m not all happy about doing 10 sets. Day 2 of bench for me is after a tough shoulder workout, I was only looking for a few sets[/quote]

Read - “Can I have a program that will give me a huge bench, but not one where I will have to work at it”

Coach! I dont know if you got my private message yet so Ill just wait for the response.

Coach how do you periodize with the EDT routines?
When breaking your density numbers from workout to workout wouldnt you be going to failure a little too much causing CNS burnout?
And most importantly why the fifteen minute paramter for time, why not 10 or 20?

Thanks, you rule!

Amir

[quote]Massif wrote:
Read - “Can I have a program that will give me a huge bench, but not one where I will have to work at it”[/quote]

READ-no reason to jump on me at all, keep your comments to yourself

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Massif wrote:
Read - “Can I have a program that will give me a huge bench, but not one where I will have to work at it”

READ-no reason to jump on me at all, keep your comments to yourself[/quote]

did someone just get a bruised ego??

TB

[quote]Trailblazer wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:
Massif wrote:
Read - “Can I have a program that will give me a huge bench, but not one where I will have to work at it”

READ-no reason to jump on me at all, keep your comments to yourself

did someone just get a bruised ego??

TB[/quote]

not at all, It doesn’t matter to me, I just don’t want be to misinterrupt me, my hard work or try to turn it like i was disrecpecting Coach Staley