T Nation

CNS Sneak Attack

CT, posted this in another thread.(Another one of those Gems) Maybe we could discuss this more here.

"1. The superhero complexes ARE an application of layers. Layers refer to using different contraction types for one single movement pattern. So in a SH complex you have one overload set, one maximal set, one strength-speed set, one speed-strength set for the same movement pattern. It is thus a layer, but a different application.

1. NO WAY NO HOW should you do a max ramp prior to doing complexes; the complexes are among the hardest thing you can impose on your CNS and adding a max ramp will put it overboard. You SHOULD do a ramp (as a progressive warm-up/activation) and to know where to start your complexes, but this ramp should not be maximal or near it.

The dangerous thing is that CNS fatigue is hard to notice.

a) you might do 1, 2 or 3 sessions and feel fine… then reason that the amount and demand of the work you are doing is fine for you

b) you might not notice neural fatigue, mistaking it simply for being a bit tired

So you continue with the workouts, thinking that you are recovering fine from them and saying to yourself “Thib doesn’t know what he’s talking about, I can handle this!”… but CNS creeps up on you gradually and you do not notice it until it’s too late and you hit a wall… then it takes you several weeks to be able to get back in good form. "

What could be some of the signs of this?
I remember somethings like “losing the pump”, “weights feeling very heavy”.

Could it take a couple months to catch up to you? In other words, if you are banging away and aside from the general soreness and aches and pains, you’re going along fine for 8 weeks or so, then you hit a brick wall, and everything is Heavy.
Is that possible?

from ct other post
"From working with a ton of Crossfit athlete, they all share one thing in common: they do too much.

Your body has a limited capacity to recover and constantly trying to do more and more work will lead to slow progress. The thing is that you will rarely notice it until its too late and by that time it can take 2-3 weeks of rest just to get back to normal.

It happened to one girl I was working with. I was doing her olympic lifting training but not her whole training plan. Her coach had her do an amazingly high amount of work. Early in the year it worked fined… she even beat Michel Letendre un a competition. But the closer she got to the open, the more drained she was. It got to a point where she would start crying for no reason and had depression-like symptoms. As a result she was not in the top 200 during the first 3 weeks of the open (she finished 6th at regionals the year prior).

i told her to stop training until the open were over, only go to the gym to do the weekly WOD for the open. I gave her Brain Candy and tons of MAG-10. She slowly recovered and was able to qualify for the regionals, but finishing in the 40-48 rank. Then I told her to only to one training session per week until the regionals. Well at regionals she finished 4th and was 3rd until the last WOD (or next to last).

The moral of the story is that she almost threw away her season by doing too much and that it took her 6 weeks of rest to get back to her level of the beginning of the year. "