CNS in the Morning?

[quote]DJS wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
… and if they were really serious, being a little tired wouldn’t stop them anyway.[/quote]

Damn straight! After all, who works 40 to 60 hours a week and is always lucky enough to pick and choose when they wanna train because they feel oh-so-chipper at those times?![/quote]

Guys lucky enough to have a gym at their job ;)[/quote]

You are a lucky man. I don’t have that and I don’t get a lunch hour. I have to eat at my desk. I also have small children that I want to see after work before they go to bed. So that leaves the AM. I have always felt that i am stronger later in the day. I just didn’t have a choice in the matter. I have made progress in the morning. My CNS can suck it. So can my spinal fuild. Has anyone heard that one? You should lift later in the day because you dont have enough spinal fluid in the morning? I can’t lift any other time. So my spine can suck it too.[/quote]

Yeah, I am lucky. I eat lunch at my desk and I answer emails if there’s an issue 24x7. So in exchange to making myself available so often, they’re flexible with my breaks and aren’t on my ass about every minute I’m not actually working.

It’s not a huge difference in strength anyway between 1pm and 8pm. Maybe 2 reps on my top set. But the difference is consistent.

I doubt there is even one huge guy out there who gave a shit about whether his spinal fluid was timed correctly.

That’s a new one…and we get stupid shit here all day long.

If you look average but are worried about your spinal fluid, find a new hobby.[/quote]

I was going to wack-off last night. But then I remembered I had a workout this morning and I didn’t want to tax my CNS.

it doesn’t really matter as long as your body is used to training at that time. However for me I can’t do Olympic lifts for shit 1 hour after waking. In fact one day I couldn’t snatch 50kg on a Saturday morning, pathetic. If your CNS is not ‘awakened’, your movement pattern may be off for a technique-oriented lift.

I doubt there is even one huge guy out there who gave a shit about whether his spinal fluid was timed correctly.

If you look average but are worried about your spinal fluid, find a new hobby.[/quote]

I think the spinal fluid comment was misinterpreted (not purposely) or taken out of context.

I read it in Stuart McGill’s “Low Back Disorders” book. He’s talking about the fluid level’s in the discs:

“The increased fluid content after rising from bed caused the lumbar spine to be more resistant to bending, while the musculature did not appear to compensate by restricting the bending range.”

So if your back is fucked up, don’t do back exercises THAT REQUIRE BENDING early in the morning.

His advice has nothing to do with bodybuilding. That book is for people with fucked up backs (look at the name) not about optimum training times. He’s one of the top authorities on the treatment of back pain and his book has helped me out. But anyone applying this to bodybuilding is really misinterpreting his intent.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

I think the spinal fluid comment was misinterpreted (not purposely) or taken out of context.

I read it in Stuart McGill’s “Low Back Disorders” book. He’s talking about the fluid level’s in the discs:

“The increased fluid content after rising from bed caused the lumbar spine to be more resistant to bending, while the musculature did not appear to compensate by restricting the bending range.”

So if your back is fucked up, don’t do back exercises THAT REQUIRE BENDING early in the morning.

His advice has nothing to do with bodybuilding. That book is for people with fucked up backs (look at the name) not about optimum training times. He’s one of the top authorities on the treatment of back pain and his book has helped me out. But anyone applying this to bodybuilding is really misinterpreting his intent. [/quote]

That is good to know. Thanks for the info. I read it here on the forums at some point in time. The advice was that you should not do squats or deads first thing in the morning as you are more prone to injury. The advice was not to load the spine in the AM. I’ve seen it multiple times and mentioned by multiple people. Maybe that is how it got started. I’m suprised more people have not chimed in yet who have heard this recomendation.

A large majority of college athletes including football players and heavyweight wrestlers lift within an hour of waking up. A large number of them likely lift weights as heavy or heavier than what you lift. You should be able to adjust to the demands of lifting quickly after waking up. If it’s really an issue, take yourself through an extended warm up so everything’s more ‘activated’.

Spinal Hydration does indeed have to with bodybuilding and movement in general. Certainly many athletes train in the morning and progress; that does not mean that they would not make more progress if they lifted later in the day. They lift in the morning due to scheduling, not because it is the ideal time for heavy weight training. There are others in addition to McGill who have studied spinal hydration (disc expansion) and injury prevention.

First time you have heard about it PX, stupid shit? Huge guys uh…X I know some huge guys, and you are not one, nor do speak for them. If you are ever in the Dallas area X, give me a shout, we can do some training together. I’ve been at it a long time and could teach you a couple of more things. Come prepared to use the bar and dbells though, all the huge guys up this way think that the machines are for the physically challenged.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
First time you have heard about it PX, stupid shit? Huge guys uh…X I know some huge guys, and you are not one, nor do speak for them. If you are ever in the Dallas area X, give me a shout, we can do some training together. I’ve been at it a long time and could teach you a couple of more things. Come prepared to use the bar and dbells though, all the huge guys up this way think that the machines are for the physically challenged. [/quote]

Spinal Hydration does indeed have to with bodybuilding and movement in general. Certainly many athletes train in the morning and progress; that does not mean that they would not make more progress if they lifted later in the day. [/quote]

It doesn’t mean they would either. This is why circadian rhythm was mentioned, because we do not all share the same peak in performance at the same time of day.

[quote]

They lift in the morning due to scheduling, not because it is the ideal time for heavy weight training. There are others in addition to McGill who have studied spinal hydration (disc expansion) and injury prevention. [/quote]

If spinal hydration made that much of a difference, no athlete would risk it. If an athlete already has an injury and this is a part of rehabilitation, acting like this applies to all weight lifters across the board is one huge leap on your part.

Care to provide any studies conducting showing spinal hydration to put healthy athletes at risk of injury due directly to training soon upon waking?

[quote]

First time you have heard about it PX, stupid shit? Huge guys uh…X I know some huge guys, and you are not one, nor do speak for them. If you are ever in the Dallas area X, give me a shout, we can do some training together. I’ve been at it a long time and could teach you a couple of more things. Come prepared to use the bar and dbells though, all the huge guys up this way think that the machines are for the physically challenged. [/quote]

I live in Houston. Why the fuck would I go to Dallas? To meet you? Who the fuck are you?

No, better yet, you come down here, tell me what gym and then we can meet.

I am not sure what your plan was with saying I’m not huge. You expected tears?

Spinal Hydration does indeed have to with bodybuilding and movement in general. Certainly many athletes train in the morning and progress; that does not mean that they would not make more progress if they lifted later in the day. [/quote]

It doesn’t mean they would either. This is why circadian rhythm was mentioned, because we do not all share the same peak in performance at the same time of day.

[quote]

They lift in the morning due to scheduling, not because it is the ideal time for heavy weight training. There are others in addition to McGill who have studied spinal hydration (disc expansion) and injury prevention. [/quote]

If spinal hydration made that much of a difference, no athlete would risk it. If an athlete already has an injury and this is a part of rehabilitation, acting like this applies to all weight lifters across the board is one huge leap on your part.

Care to provide any studies conducting showing spinal hydration to put healthy athletes at risk of injury due directly to training soon upon waking?

[quote]

I live in Houston. Why the fuck would I go to Dallas? To meet you? Who the fuck are you?

No, better yet, you come down here, tell me what gym and then we can meet.

I am not sure what your plan was with saying I’m not huge. You expected tears?[/quote]

Some would get better results, some wouldn’t…I never said otherwise.
All athletes are at risk of injury…it’s the nature of advanced activity. Certainly serious, young, healthy, trained people should be fine…that will change as they get older.
The next time I go to Houston, you’ll hear from me! I might make a special trip.
Tears? Now that’s something I’d like to see, perhaps toward the end of our training session.
For the most part, on most matters bodybuilding, I agree with your posting. However, your arrogance is unjustified . You have posted that you have never been on stage…what have you done? Did you compete in powerlifting early on? If so, what were you’re numbers and in what weight class? How about strongman? A 5K or cycle race? Help me understand PX, when have you ‘stood under the lights’ and backed up the shit you talk? There are plenty of people here you are your equal, if not your better. You called me out, not the other way around…

Some would get better results, some wouldn’t…I never said otherwise.
All athletes are at risk of injury…it’s the nature of advanced activity. Certainly serious, young, healthy, trained people should be fine…that will change as they get older.
The next time I go to Houston, you’ll hear from me! I might make a special trip.
Tears? Now that’s something I’d like to see, perhaps toward the end of our training session.
For the most part, on most matters bodybuilding, I agree with your posting. However, your arrogance is unjustified . You have posted that you have never been on stage…what have you done? Did you compete in powerlifting early on? If so, what were you’re numbers and in what weight class? How about strongman? A 5K or cycle race? Help me understand PX, when have you ‘stood under the lights’ and backed up the shit you talk? There are plenty of people here you are your equal, if not your better. You called me out, not the other way around…
[/quote]

WTF? I called you out? Why do you think I have anything to prove to you? My pictures are in my profile and have been for years. My entire training history is in a stickied thread just above you that has probably been read more than most others on the site. I haven’t competed in bodybuilding and may or may not in the future. What I did do was gain a lot of muscle while getting an education and serving in the military.

Anything I needed to prove, I did to myself a long time ago.

WTF? I called you out? Why do you think I have anything to prove to you? My pictures are in my profile and have been for years. My entire training history is in a stickied thread just above you that has probably been read more than most others on the site. I haven’t competed in bodybuilding and may or may not in the future. What I did do was gain a lot of muscle while getting an education and serving in the military.

Anything I needed to prove, I did to myself a long time ago.
[/quote]

Yes you did call me out…remember this.
‘I doubt there is even one huge guy out there who gave a shit about whether his spinal fluid was timed correctly. That’s a new one…and we get stupid shit here all day long.
If you look average but are worried about your spinal fluid, find a new hobby.’ PX

I have reviewed your training…you are an above average lifter, no doubt. It is true that many at T-Nation are suspended from your testicles, as I mentioned, I agree with the majority of your BB posting. Pretty straight forward stuff.
I am also an educated veteran, although I fail to see the relevance. I will postpone any comments about your muscular development until we see some pics after your cut(if it actually happens). Keep telling yourself that ‘nothing to prove’ line, I’m sure it sounds believable by now. Bodybuilders make it to stage, powerlifters to the platform, runners to the race, everyone else is on the sidelines fetching water or in the stands watching. That is where the talk and opinions end.

The rando people that come here just to shit on X crack me up…

Only annoying part is when the mods allow people to troll with multiple accounts.

The regular posters are plain funny.

Who is “everyone”?

LOL at “CNS” being treated like it isn’t YOU.

If YOU are awake, your “CNS” is also.

Hell, it never went to sleep![/quote]

I mean there is truth behind the CNS “waking up” in the sense that it isn’t fully optimal until a certain amount of time after sleeping. I remember hearing about olympic athletes waking up at 4 am for events at 9am so their CNS had enough time to be running on full effecieny.

But I don’t think it matters much.

One time I was on a business trip and I set my alarm to wake me, but I forgot to set my alarm for my CNS-- OMG, was I embarrassed.

Certainly many athletes train in the morning and progress; that does not mean that they would not make more progress if they lifted later in the day. They lift in the morning due to scheduling, not because it is the ideal time for heavy weight training.
[/quote]

Would you really say it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things? I’ve lifted very early in the morning and made progress, and I’ve lifted at 3 in the afternoon and also made progress. It was far more comfortable to lift later in the day, but to me it really doesn’t seem to matter compared to all the other more important things out there.

‘I doubt there is even one huge guy out there who gave a shit about whether his spinal fluid was timed correctly. That’s a new one…and we get stupid shit here all day long.
If you look average but are worried about your spinal fluid, find a new hobby.’ PX

I have reviewed your training…you are an above average lifter, no doubt. It is true that many at T-Nation are suspended from your testicles, as I mentioned, I agree with the majority of your BB posting. Pretty straight forward stuff.
I am also an educated veteran, although I fail to see the relevance. I will postpone any comments about your muscular development until we see some pics after your cut(if it actually happens). Keep telling yourself that ‘nothing to prove’ line, I’m sure it sounds believable by now. Bodybuilders make it to stage, powerlifters to the platform, runners to the race, everyone else is on the sidelines fetching water or in the stands watching. That is where the talk and opinions end.
[/quote]

Are you serious with this shit?

[/quote]

Are you serious with this shit?

[/quote]

He seems pretty cereal

Once again I think that bodybuilding is getting confused with powerlifting or whatever.

To get bigger muscles you simply have to fatigue them to a degree, there is no worries about “optimal performance”.

The thing that makes me laugh, is the fact that if you “perform” really well (i.e. give your body a run for it’s money, 100% capacity, like at the perfect time of day)…it simply means that you have to wait longer to recover!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
One time I was on a business trip and I set my alarm to wake me, but I forgot to set my alarm for my CNS-- OMG, was I embarrassed.[/quote]

HAHA !