T Nation

Clusters in a Workout?

Have any of you guys tried clusters in your workout? If you don’t know what they are they can be found in the article below.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/lets_get_nasty&cr=

actually, coincidentally, i just added clusters into my workout because i want to try out rest pausing as a staple of my program. i got the idea from here

scroll down till it talks about cluster 5x5. I have my days set up legs, push, pull, and have the clusters be on the bench press, deadlift, and squats. then the rest of the day is standard bodybuilding 3-5x6-12. I normally don’t use arbitrary set-in-stone rep and set stuff like 5x5, but through the 2 workouts i’ve done this way (push and pull) I fail riiiight on the 5th rep of the 5th set, as in i just barely squeeze that rep up. I chose a weight around my 3RM, and just do the cluster 5x5. Intense shit, especially as you get to the later sets. can’t tell you how it works yet, though, seeing as i just included it, but I’m damn sore for like 3-4 days afterward.

just my 2 cents, if you wanna bounce some ideas around.

Sounds like you’re going to be getting some growth. I would really appreciate if you could keep me posted because I’m really interested in trying it.

sure, leg workout’s later tonight, i’m thinking this will be the toughest. i think you should try implementing it into your program, not change up the whole thing but add it to your best indicator exercises.

while i’ve never had rest pause as a staple of my program before, over time, i’m starting to buy into the doggcrapp line of thinking that rest-pause is the fastest way to gain size and strength. Now i don’t have the recovery ability for doggcrapp, so i just added rest pause to my indicator exercises instead of every exercise.

[quote]APLASTICSPOON wrote:
Have any of you guys tried clusters in your workout? If you don’t know what they are they can be found in the article below.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/lets_get_nasty&cr=[/quote]

Yes. Clusters are a staple of phase 2 in Cressey’s Maximum Strength Program. The first rep or two aren’t that bad, but the last couple reps of each set are a crusher. Looking at my watch between reps of front squats all I could think was “I have to do that AGAIN in 10 seconds!?!?”

I love the eccentric overload clusters, problem is finding a spotter that has a freaking clue to allow you to do them.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
APLASTICSPOON wrote:

Yes. Clusters are a staple of phase 2 in Cressey’s Maximum Strength Program. The first rep or two aren’t that bad, but the last couple reps of each set are a crusher. Looking at my watch between reps of front squats all I could think was “I have to do that AGAIN in 10 seconds!?!?” [/quote]

Would you consider it a good choice to do while on a bulk? I have ran into a plateu in a few of my lifts and I was just curious.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
APLASTICSPOON wrote:

Yes. Clusters are a staple of phase 2 in Cressey’s Maximum Strength Program. The first rep or two aren’t that bad, but the last couple reps of each set are a crusher. Looking at my watch between reps of front squats all I could think was “I have to do that AGAIN in 10 seconds!?!?” [/quote]

I know isn’t it fun? I think of it as a contest with my will, yeah definitely doing the clusters today with squats was very hard, the last 2 reps of the last 2 sets went up slooooow

[quote]APLASTICSPOON wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
APLASTICSPOON wrote:

Yes. Clusters are a staple of phase 2 in Cressey’s Maximum Strength Program. The first rep or two aren’t that bad, but the last couple reps of each set are a crusher. Looking at my watch between reps of front squats all I could think was “I have to do that AGAIN in 10 seconds!?!?”

Would you consider it a good choice to do while on a bulk? I have ran into a plateu in a few of my lifts and I was just curious.
[/quote]

Clusters are a great choice if you’re stuck because it’s a technique that isn’t used much. You’ll probably get sick of it fast though, so try it out for a few weeks and then go back to what you were doing before.

I did my first cluster set today (Phase 2 Maximum Strength).

I’m unsure if your meant to rack the weight or hold it the entire time. Holding 220 in the Front Squat position during those 10 second pauses was fucking hard, I couldn’t do the full set. Hell of a fucking core workout though lol.

I just read Thib’s article and he says to rack it. Makes sense. Spending almost a full minute under tension didn’t sound right.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I just read Thib’s article and he says to rack it. Makes sense. Spending almost a full minute under tension didn’t sound right.[/quote]

Yeah…def rerack it… but the walk out with the front squats is tiring, too… lol.

I’m on Phase 3 right now…

I’ve done them. Not with tons and tons of exercises, but off the top of my head chinups, pullups and close grip bench press. They’re excellent. Really excellent. Help you add strength very fast. Of course they’re exhausting and very time demanding, so you have to use them sparingly, but they are cool.

[quote]gabex wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
I just read Thib’s article and he says to rack it. Makes sense. Spending almost a full minute under tension didn’t sound right.

I’m on Phase 3 right now…[/quote]

Well my wrist get fucking sore as well(clean grip) so it is a pain in the ass re racking front squats.

How have your results been so far anyway?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
gabex wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

I’m on Phase 3 right now…

Well my wrist get fucking sore as well(clean grip) so it is a pain in the ass re racking front squats.

How have your results been so far anyway?[/quote]

I’d say pretty good so far… you can check my log.

is there a percentage of your Max that should be used for a cluster?

Well I guess that all depends on how many clusters.
The max Strength program has you doing 4 clusters of 2 reps with 10 second breaks, with about a 5RM, but really its one of those exercises you need to test and measure yourself.