T Nation

Cluster Training for Athletes

Do any athletes here use cluster training with low reps? I’m considering using it cause it mimicks almost exactl the demands of my sport (wrestling), a very heavy load lifted every 30 seconds or so. Also great density for heavy loads.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Do any athletes here use cluster training with low reps? I’m considering using it cause it mimicks almost exactl the demands of my sport (wrestling), a very heavy load lifted every 30 seconds or so. Also great density for heavy loads. [/quote]

Cluster training rocks! Just ease into it as it is very demanding on the CNS. Try the 5x5 Cluster program twice a week. For those that do not know, cluster training is basically rest pause training for multiple sets. For example 5x5 cluster training style is five sets of five rest pause reps. Basically, reps in which you take a 10 second break between each rep. Allows you to use much heavier weights and ramp up intensity.

Mike Mahler

Mike, you seem very into heavy cardio/sandbag/strongman stuff. How would you intergrate it with a lifting program that is heavily taxing the CNS (Canadian Ascending-Descending, Clusters, etc.)?