Clumps In the Creatine

Hey guys,

I opened up my creatine after a long hibernation period and there were clumps in it. The clumps were comprised of creatine but what? The expiration date is 9/06 but should I be worried?

Law

[quote]thelaw12186 wrote:
Hey guys,

I opened up my creatine after a long hibernation period and there were clumps in it. The clumps were comprised of creatine but what? The expiration date is 9/06 but should I be worried?

Law[/quote]

no

Was it filled with moisture? Aparantely creatine begins to degrade into a slightly toxic form; creatinine when in water. If the thing is that old…

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
Was it filled with moisture? Aparantely creatine begins to degrade into a slightly toxic form; creatinine when in water. If the thing is that old…[/quote]

Yea, what he said.
No matter how old it is (except maybe for a couple of hours), if a good amount of moisture got in there to cause those clumps, I would bet that a large portion of those clumps would be the toxic form of Creatine, Creatinine (like Bruce said).

Not good IMHO.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
Was it filled with moisture? Aparantely creatine begins to degrade into a slightly toxic form; creatinine when in water. If the thing is that old…

Yea, what he said.
No matter how old it is (except maybe for a couple of hours), if a good amount of moisture got in there to cause those clumps, I would bet that a large portion of those clumps would be the toxic form of Creatine, Creatinine (like Bruce said).

Not good IMHO.[/quote]

Toxic? Your body doesn’t use it. This should not be confused with “toxic waste”. Any powder that gets opened and sits for a while will get moisture in the bottle. That doesn’t mean you toss it out unless it is well past the expiration date. That goes for protein and creatine.