T Nation

Clueless Lifter

Seems like you and OP could maybe work out a sale then?

There is no way they have the same waist size.

LOL. I don’t know OP’s stats, but I am sure that’s true. I am a fat old man at this point. Although I am actually working on it and hoping to get somewhere with most of my health issues resolved. I could stand to be 30lbs lighter.

This is why I quit using a belt too. It’s not bad for squats but doesn’t seem to add any weight or perceived safety. Speaking strictly in numbers, I’ve been totally beltless for 3 years and have had one minor back injury, whereas I would have to take a minimum of 1 week off every month or so for back pain alone. Technique and maturity were part of it but I couldn’t consider them the full story.

Yeah, I’m 5’6" and just weighed in today at 146 lbs so I doubt it’d be the right size.

I’m tempted to just try out those olympic dumbbell handles (thanks for the suggestion @dagill2) . I can buy them locally and if I don’t like them I’ll just return them. I would like a pair of Ironmaster 75s, but they’re hard to find. Seems to be sold out everywhere. I find online people are still trying to gouge people selling used weights.

Bench

70% 112.5 1 3
80% 127.5 1 3
90% 145 1 3+ (7 reps)
70% 112.5 5 5

Back squat

70% 112.5 1 3
80% 127.5 1 3
90% 145 1 3+ (17 reps)
70% 112.5 5 5

Assistance

Skull crushers: 52.5 lbs - 5x10 (decreased rest time)
Incline DB Press: 40 lbs - 15,15,9,11

My weight has been stuck at around 144-146 lbs for the past month despite (what I considered) an increase in calories. I weighed in this morning at 144.6 lbs. Going to start eating over 3K calories going forward. My weight is usually in the mid 140s so I think it’s my “comfort zone” level of calories. I plan to just incorporate more calorie dense stuff like PB.

I think I fatigues my chest by doing some exercise the day before, but not sure.

3 Likes

I can recommend just nuts. 100g of nuts is 500-600 calories. With 30g of protein.
That or salad / feta cheese. Same sort of thing.

1 Like

Yes second nuts and decent pb. I’m in the same boat digity, I’ve been here before and I’m struggling this time, I know what it takes and it’s consistently eating a surplus for weeks on end even when it sucks.

But good work you’re making great progress keep pushing hard and makes sensible changes to the diet and you’ll keep getting results!

2 Likes

I’ll third the advice. As someone who finds it difficult to gain weight, the only option is to eat more, or change part of your diet with more calorie dense food.
Also, not sure what your diet looks like, you may want to post that up so people can make some recommendations. It may be helpful to get some ideas as to what you can easily add for extra calories.

Edit: I just received some titan loadable db handles a week or two ago. @T3hPwnisher is 100% correct in saying they are difficult to work with, but manageablein a pinch. I’m not moving big weight on them, but they’re already a pain in the ass to get set up and ready to press.

1 Like

Back squat
75% 120 1 5
85% 135 1 3
95% 152.5 1 1+ (15 reps)
75% 120 5 5

Bench
75% 120 1 5
85% 135 1 3
95% 152.5 1 1+ (5 reps)
75% 120 5 5

Assistance work:
Pull-ups: 5x10 (last two sets bad)
Plate high pull: 45 lbs - 3x30

Damn, I wasn’t suppose to bench today. I sometimes forget to alternative bench and press since original program always has bench on first day workout. Not a big deal though.

1 Like

I have a feeling your squat is going to be in a really good place once you finally start hitting 5-7 reps, good work man.

3 Likes

Deadlifts
75% 200 1 5
85% 225 1 3
95% 252.5 1 1+ (11 reps)
75% 200 5 5

Press

75% 87.5 1 5
85% 97.5 1 3
95% 110 1 1+ (10 reps)
75% 87.5 5 5

Assistance

Kroc rows: 35lbs x42
Preacher curls: 47.5 lbs - 15,10,10,15

Focused on full ROM for Press since I failed to rep my TM. My guess it’s because my ROM was a bit off in the past (I think I lowered below chin before, but not down to chest).

1 Like

More good work here man, you should be proud of yourself. Your whole thought process has matured and you’re setting yourself up to keep progressing, which is huge.

2 Likes

Let me guess - when you train you grab the bar at collar height then press it and lower to the chin. Repeat.
When you tried with the TM you started at collar height and failed to get it past the eyes?

The press is an odd lift. The bottom few inches from chin to chest are brutal. My strick press from chest is maybe 80kg. If I load the bar above head height and LOWER it my chin level before pressing - easy 90kg.
I’m not saying dont lower the TM. Far from it. But IF you’re testing your TM make sure you’re using exactly the same movement you’re training with.
If you only do that first few inches for the first rep every set - it’s not part of the work out.

Fyi I’ve never seen a reason to add it in / or leave it out. It’s totally preference.

1 Like

I’m definitely stealing this trick if I need to.

If you can’t beat the game, change the rules?

I’m aiming not to have to, but the target I’ve set myself is ridiculously high so an ace in the hole might be useful.

Kind of. But consider you don’t bench from the bottom.

Getting this stretch help is fine as long as its constantly applied. And understood.

Let’s use a squat as an example.
If I was testing my TM for a standard squat BUT in the TM test started from pins in the ATG position people would rightly comment.
Its exactly the same theory. When setting your normal press TM. Your TM should look as close to your normal movement as possible.

1 Like

I do all my presses with the weight starting off on the ground and I lift it up explosively. Once I lift it up and I’m stable I’ll first lower down to chest then all the way up and then down to chest and back up, etc.

Point is before I wouldn’t necessarily go all the way down to chest…I’d sometimes got below the chin.

Next cycle I will try doing press from the rack and see how that goes.