Clueless Lifter

I feel like the pushing aspect is huge. Calls the upper body in as well.

1 Like

Bad idea.

I ran this for 4 months. Its a GREAT programme - but totally over the top for you. The volume is too much. You will do more harm than good trying to do things like widow maker sets, or 5x5 bench with another 50-100 pressing movements afterwards.

My advice:
Do a simple ABA, BAB full body programme. Starting Strength has a great write up on T-nation and Strong Lifts has more FREE resources than any other programme I know. Neither is perfect but both work.
I have not run it / known anyone run it but I assume 5/3/1 beguiners also works.

Failing that Strength Training Collage Addition and the Texas Method (both have T-nation write ups) work. Hell you can even look up @isdatnutty 's programme he wrote. It was solid enough.

You are - despite being the gym for a for few years - still starting out. You need minimal effort to grow bigger or stronger. Don;t feel the need to hammer out set, after set, after set. However - even if you ignore me (and you are welcome to) just work hard at a prewritten programme for 3 months. Eat big. And you’ll see a change.

Edit:

Last thing. And its something that might not even effect you. You’ve gone in measuring EVERYTHING. Calories, carbs, sugar, fat, protein… you might not need to. And I find that when I set the bar too high too early - compliance to the plan drops. And then the plan fails. Its sometimes (not always) better to start small and simple and grow into the more complex measuring.

My advice:
You want to gain a bit of mass. Just eat enough calories (more than 2200), enough protein (more than 150g) and stay away from sugar / junk. Set yourself an upper and lower limit on each of the important numbers every day. And stick to it.

Good luck.

Okay, I’m thinking StrongLifts 5x5. I downloaded the app and it said my first workout would be this:

Squat - 45 lbs - 5x5
Bench - 65 lbs - 5x5
BB Rows - 45 lbs - 5x5

Seems low so I dunno if I need to be eating excessive calories at this point.

I’m using MyFitnessPal which tracks everything…I just cut and paste here. I don’t mean to keep posting everything I eat forever but at least for a while so I can get feedback.

I’m surprised no one has shitted on me for eating beyond meat burgers. Not planning to keep those in my diet. Just bought a bunch at Costco and using them up. I don’t mind them though.

Doing 500 calories of cycling today and plan to do workout above afterwards. I know it’s probably a bad idea to do cardio before lifting but it’s so light I don’t think it matters much.

My gym has a prowler but I don’t have one at home

How long does it take to learn to squat and develop necessary mobility? That’s my big concern because all these programs require squats. Should I even start if I can’t squat? How much time should I be committing per day to develop it? What if I were to do nothing but practice squatting for my usual workouts? Is the excessive?

As long as it takes really. I’ve been on this site for a year and squatting for 2 years and I’m still learning how to properly squat. One thing I’ve noticed is that squatting, for me, is a more difficult movement with less weight on the bar. Anything less than 115lbs and I can’t do it. The weight is what anchors my feet to the floor.

It’s probably not a good thing, but it’s just reality for me. I don’t do mobility(but I should) or stretching(which I should) but I feel ok, so I’m not too worried about it.

Like I wrote in your other thread, post a video so that these very knowledgeable people can aim you in the right direction.

So add more weight, and you’re not eating excessive calories like @dagill2 said… You’re still under maintenance because of your cycling.

Will squat shoes help?

You won’t know unless you try it with cardio first and without. I know Brian Alsruhe used to be a big proponent of doing your conditioning before your strength work but I can’t speak to it as I haven’t done it. The issue for yourself is that there seems to be something making it difficult to eat more calories. If you burn 500 “extra” calories, you’ll need to eat 500 extra (cleanish) calories, and you seem reluctant to do that.

I forget what your issue with squats was, sorry. I’ll try and dig out the Dan John intro to squat program later but it would be really useful to know if the issue is mobility, strength or technique.

Hey Digity
Welcome to the log section it’s such a great place.
I’m in.
First thing first: learn to squat.
Go to Squat universitys youtube channel, that is a great resource.
Use goblet squat, as you do, to learn the pattern. It’s a great tool.

Most important is that the bar travels up and down in a straight line over mid foot.
foot stance and bar placement is something to play around with. Look at the videos from Squat university.

Just to the program it starts with the bar, that’s fine you learn to squat, video film it, watch it, watch others squat.
Squat slowly to get the right pattern, 2-3 seconds down and 2-3 seconds up, really try to feel where your body and the bar is in space.

When you start to stall out on the 5x5 do as @T3hPwnisher said get the 25 reps.

Good luck friend

EDIT: squat shoes is a tool, learn to squat in flat shoes.

I did the ankle mobility test at squat university and failed miserably. My big toe was 5 inches away from wall but I came no where near touching.image

My ankle mobility seems really bad.

There’s regressions, like with anything else.

Work on squatting just your body and get some work in with lunges and RDLs.
Then work on goblet squats. Then front squats, which can put a ton of muscle on you anyway. Then squatting to a box. Then maybe you’ll get into free squats.

My point is, it’s not all or nothing. I can’t run a marathon (or probably even to my mailbox) right meow. That doesn’t mean I can’t get my cardio up by walking, then work on jogging small distances, then run a mile for time, etc.

Hopefully that made sense. My point is, I wouldn’t look for obstacles and I wouldn’t stubborn through something that’s going to make you injured. Pick what you want to run and do it hard within the imitations you have. None of us that has been doing this for any number of years (or just been alive) can do everything limit-free anymore, either, if that helps with perspective. Except @T3hPwnisher, but he doesn’t count.

1 Like

But that’s the question I’m asking. What’s a good program to run that uses lunges, goblet squats and front squats instead? It seems every program out there has back squats at their foundation. I also worry that my poor ankle mobility will hamper my ability to front squat too. Isn’t it the same problem?

Can you do front squats without an issue then?

I have doubts about being able to front squat. I noticed something interesting. My left foot comes much closer to touch the wall then my right. In the picture it’s showing my right foot.

Try to put a bar on your back and squat.
See what harpens and work from there

1 Like

Just sub it out, get some work in, and work up is my point. As long as you’re progressing, you’re making progress

Here’s the Dan John “how to squat” tutorial I mentioned earlier. As a 6 week primer for Mass Made Simple, Dan recommends teaching yourself to squat with these, starting light 5 days a week and slowly increasing load, while decreasing frequency over 6 weeks.

If flexibility is indeed the issue, i can’t help. I know beyond nothing about it.

Heh.

Before I had Forever and ran BTM, I had forgotten a lot of Jim’s programming, so when Nutty posted his ‘beginner routine’, I saw the simplicity of it and thought (and said on that thread) that looks, with a few tweaks, like something somebody could run for a long time to get strong.

And then you look at his setup:

"LOWER DAY 1
Main Deadlift
Squat Variation
Assistance: Quads, Hamstrings/Glutes, Abs, Low Back

UPPER DAY 1
Main OH Press
Vertical Press Variation
Bodyweight Press
Assistance: Upper Back, Lats, Rear Delts, Biceps

LOWER DAY 2
Main Squat
Deadlift Variation
Assistance: Quads, Hamstrings/Glutes, Abs, Low Back

UPPER DAY 2
Main Bench Press
Horizontal Press Variation
Bodyweight Press
Assistance: Upper Back, Lats, Rear Delts, Biceps"

K, so…that’s 5/3/1…not even attempting to hide the plagiarism there.

And then:

“Do it man! In 6 months you should have added 30lbs (upper) and 60lbs (lower) to your working sets and possible more.”

Despite advocating a double progression, he’s predicting that you’ll raise your lifts EXACTLY the amount you’d raise them on 5/3/1 with a 5 lb increase in upper and 10 lb increase in lower movements every 4 weeks.

Finally,

"There would be a few variations. But all using the same core principles!

The Original Version
The Barbell Only Version
The Fullbody Version
The Don’t Wanna Move Much Version"

I mean, c’mon.

This ain’t a shot at you @carlbm either, everything was kept relatively quiet and most people on the site, including some people that ran ‘his’ program don’t know that he got called out as a fraud and ran away.

OP - all I have to say is you do not have to record calories, carbs, fat, protein, cholesterol, sodium, sugars, and fiber for every piece of food that you eat. If you like doing that, I guess it’s probably not hurting, but it’s a mindfuck to figure out what you’re eating and it’s wildly unnecessary and overly complicated.

Dude it’s cool. I had wondered where he’d gone. But had no idea.

1 Like