T Nation

Clove Oil

First, hello EVERYONE! MEGAMAN X has a question about “Clove Oil”.According to the Essential Oils Desk Reference, 2nd ED., It seems like Clove oil has the highest ORAC SCORE(over 1 million).Is too much of a good thing bad when it comes to the ORAC SCORE?I am on the T-Dawg 2.0 diet and this interests me because the diet does not call for too much fruit, or veggies,and I feel that I missing out on benifts of these food categories-there are foods and substances that absorb free radicals (containing antioxidants) and the more you partake of these, the more youthful and disease-free you will remain.What is you take on my concerns?

ESSENTIAL OIL NAME ORAC SCORE

ORAC SCORE/ESSENTIAL OILS TESTED…

*Sandalwood (Santalum Album)

*Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) 2,446

*Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma) 2,517

*Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) 3,309

*Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) 3,669

*Spearmint (Mentha spicata)

*Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)

*Lemongrass (Cymbopogen flexuosus) 17,765

*Orange (Citrus aurantium)

*Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)

*Rose of Sharon (Cistus ladanifer) 38,648

*Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamamum verum) 103,448

*Mountain Savory (Satureja montana) 113,071

*Oregano (Origanum compactum)

*Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)

*Clove (Syzigium aromaticum) 10,786,875

Thanks for your help.

Uhh… your handle kicks ass. :slight_smile:

Well, what is your experience with it? Anything I have seen about it is that it is to be taken in doses of less than two drops. I’d like to learn more about oild but damn, internet searches either come up as sales or whack job claims. Any idea where to gain more information about these types of oils?

I would like to learn more about this shtuff as well. Does anyone have more info?

I think first you should examine your food choices. There is no reason why on TDawg 2.0 you can’t get fruits and vegetables. I ate approx 100g of carbs/day and ate lots of them (more than I did before because I was paying so much more attention to my choices). Here are some ideas I used:

First of all, are you eating grains? If so you can cut those out almost completely, even whole grain bread, why bother? Replace it all with fruits and veggies. You will get more nutrition that way. I'd eat oatmeal or whole grain bread only every couple days.

Secondly, while people like having maltodextrin in their post workout shake, really, I decided to sacrifice the instantaneous insulin spike for a banana and cup of strawberries mixed in. There are other sugars besides fructose in fruit, and also, you STILL get an insulin spike (at least It was hard to stay awake afterwards), and it works well enough I think. Unless you are a professional competitor, I don't see much harm. So that's the second way to get some fruits.

Good low carb fruits are berries, they have some of the highest levels of antioxidants. They are high in fiber as well. They also have the highest levels of pesticides so make sure to wash them thoroughly. So another way to increase fruits is to up your berry intake, at first I didn't like them as they weren't sweet enough, but my sweet tooth subsided after awhile thanks to staying away from that kind of food.

Finally, subtract the fiber from the grams of carbs for foods. I did it in a spreadsheet so I didn't have to think about it. You'll find you can load up on green vegetables since they have few carbs and high fiber. I'd eat raw vegetables in a salad with olive oil & vinegar, and other tougher vegetables I'd steam and add only lemon juice and salt. Lemon and lime juice don't have much carbs but they help make many foods paletteable.

I did pretty well with the above, following Berrardi's nutrition articles & Alessi's MeltDown Training, I went from 246 and 35% fat to 185 and 18% fat in only 9 months. But that is subcutaneous fat measured via calliper. I think most of the LBM loss (10 lbs) was not muscle but visceral fat loss (well I hope:-). I probably should have eaten more, actually.

Well I hope those ideas help you get more nutrition out of your food before turning to supplements.

Chris B