T Nation

Clothes for Larger Physiques

I’m 6’0’’ and 240 lbs. I’m around 15% bodyfat. I find it impossible to find shirts that fit me. I can find XXL shirts that fit in the shoulders but are baggy around the stomach. I need something with more of a tapered cut.

I’m looking for trendier type clothes that one might wear to a club. It’s nearly impossible to find anything over a large however in upscale department stores. Anyone got any ideas?

You should consider getting a mumu.

Unless you are willing to get all your clothes bespoke, you’re screwed. Just accept it.

Affliction. I used to work retail and huge guys would come in all the time… mall had a gym in it. They are a huskier fit, and are actually very “in” right now. Randy Couture designed some shirts for the label. Generally they fit wider around the shoulders and aren’t voluminous in the waist area.

A lot of the UFC fighters have their own shirts… its a label that fits them I guess. I have the Georges St. Pierre one and its bad ass.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
I’m 6’0’’ and 240 lbs. I’m around 15% bodyfat. I find it impossible to find shirts that fit me. I can find XXL shirts that fit in the shoulders but are baggy around the stomach. I need something with more of a tapered cut.

I’m looking for trendier type clothes that one might wear to a club. It’s nearly impossible to find anything over a large however in upscale department stores. Anyone got any ideas?[/quote]

Yes. You apparently will need a ton of cash to get every single item you own tailored. They don’t make too many shirts with a huge taper unless you buy clothes from one of those places that has ads in the bodybuilding magazines that sell club shirts. I tend to wear a ton of Under Armour and they do tend to fit me better.

One place in the ads is:
http://www.hotbodz.com/main.asp

I personally wouldn’t wear stuff like this but maybe it is your style.

How both clothes for short guys who at fat bastards?

No one makes 28-30" pants anymore?

Fucking ‘lose-cut’, ‘full-cut’, ‘relaxed-fit’ bullshit…

Getting a shirt tailored will cost you around a whopping $10. I used to look around for fitted shirts but there’s really no point. Just get something that you like and that fits your shoulders and take it to your friendly Asian drycleaners.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:

I’m looking for trendier type clothes that one might wear to a club. It’s nearly impossible to find anything over a large however in upscale department stores. Anyone got any ideas?

Yes. You apparently will need a ton of cash to get every single item you own tailored. They don’t make too many shirts with a huge taper unless you buy clothes from one of those places that has ads in the bodybuilding magazines that sell club shirts. I tend to wear a ton of Under Armour and they do tend to fit me better.

One place in the ads is:
http://www.hotbodz.com/main.asp

I personally wouldn’t wear stuff like this but maybe it is your style.[/quote]

just buy clothes that fit round the neck and shoulders, then go to a tailor and have them take out the tent sized area in the middle

i got 3 very high quality shirts from

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Category.aspx/MensShirts

then took them to my local asian gentleman’s “mr stitch” store

result 3 perfectly fitted shirts for £100

:smiley:

He also does jeans and suits etc

Find a good tailor dude. Well worth the money, especially if you work in a profession where you need to look good. not only will a tailor be able to make you the custom stuff but he’ll be able to take your off the rack clothes and cut it to a shape that more fits your physique. Tailors aren’t as expensive as some people make them out to be, you just have to shop around a bit and find the ones with more reasonable prices.

Where do you get a tailor? I’ve been considering investing in one.

I was gonna say go to wal-mart they have 3XL coming out their ass over there, but then I read you wanna look good so nevermind.

[quote]Radcon wrote:
Where do you get a tailor? I’ve been considering investing in one.[/quote]

don’t you guys have Yellow pages over there, or just google tailors and your area…man how did you ever get to the moon by yourselves :wink:

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
I was gonna say go to wal-mart they have 3XL coming out their ass over there, but then I read you wanna look good so nevermind.[/quote]

LMFAO!!

[quote]legend wrote:
Radcon wrote:
Where do you get a tailor? I’ve been considering investing in one.

don’t you guys have Yellow pages over there, or just google tailors and your area…man how did you ever get to the moon by yourselves :wink: [/quote]

LMFAO!!!

What about t-shirts? My guy buys shirts that appear to fit, but two months later they have shrunk and are now too short and too wide. If it fits his shoulders and chest, it won’t fit anywhere else.

Any cheap brands (i.e. not underarmour) that you guys buy?

[quote]sic wrote:
What about t-shirts? My guy buys shirts that appear to fit, but two months later they have shrunk and are now too short and too wide. If it fits his shoulders and chest, it won’t fit anywhere else.

Any cheap brands (i.e. not underarmour) that you guys buy?[/quote]

washing them at too high a temp?

Nope, I wash them on cold.

I’m looking for trendier type clothes that one might wear to a club. It’s nearly impossible to find anything over a large however in upscale department stores. Anyone got any ideas?[/quote]

For trendy stuff try hip-hop stores - they tend to carry larger sizes. I see DrJays has shirts up to XXXXXXL. Then, as others mentioned, get the waist tapered. And you can also buy jeans with plenty of room for the glutes and thighs.

I got a couple of dress shirts made to measure because I have narrow shoulders and a thick neck. They sure fit me much better than anything else and now I’m having pants made by another tailor. But it can’t be easy to get the typical old grey-haired tailor to make you anything trendy.

[quote]sic wrote:
Nope, I wash them on cold.[/quote]

Cold in AZ or cold in MD?

OK depending on what your looking for you just have to shop certain brands. I find that Sean John dress shirts(dress button down) are great XXL fits my shoulders perfect, and its a nice fit on the rest, only problem is I can’t button the top button unless I want to suffocate( never do unless wearing a tie anyway).

Echo is another that makes some good fitting polo’s and jeans. I’ve found that the more “urban” (or whatever you want to call it “hip-hop” clothing lines phat farm, roca wear, Ecko all seem to fit really well. I now really just have problems getting A Polo, Nautica, or something like that.

Get some made here - pretty cheap for the quality:

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/

You’ll need someone to help you take the measurements.