T Nation

Close to Victory in Iraq!!

Al Qaeda Dealt Devastating Blow in Iraq
Monday, October 15, 2007

The U.S. military says it has dealt devastating and potentially irreversible blows to Al Qaeda in Iraq in recent months, leading some generals to advocate a declaration of victory over the group, which the Bush administration has long described as the most lethal U.S. adversary in Iraq, the Washington Post reported Monday.

But as the White House and its military commanders plan the next phase of the war, other officials have cautioned against taking what they see as a premature step that could create strategic and political difficulties for the United States, the newspaper said. Such a declaration could fuel criticism that the Iraq conflict has become a civil war in which U.S. combat forces should not be involved. Simultaneously, the intelligence community, and some military members, worry about underestimating an enemy that has shown surprising resilience in the past.

"I think it would be premature at this point," a senior intelligence official said to the Washington Post of a victory declaration over AQI, as the group is known. Despite recent U.S. gains, he said, AQI retains "the ability for surprise and for catastrophic attacks." Earlier periods of optimism, such as immediately following the June 2006 death of AQI founder Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi in a U.S. air raid, not only proved unfounded but were followed by expanded operations by the militant organization, the Post reported."

You young guys are missing out!

Next Spring in Tehran!!! Fire up the Abrahms!!!!!

This is such a mess I cannot even laugh anymore.
It's exactly why the Stab-in-the-back legend (german:Dolchstosslegende)was believed by so many germans to be true.

Why are you doing this, HH ?

I don't follow your post. What's your complaint? That the USA is actually winning?

How dare you post positive information about the war? How dare you post something that does not make Bush look like a fool?

You actually think it is ok to not twist the actions of America into some evil act?

You must realize that all American actions must be compared to Nazi promoting propaganda even though there is no connection whatsoever. Nor any version of the suppressed Judenzählung comparable in this conflict. (At least not on our side.)

Yeah right, let's check the markets; oil barrel over 86 Dollars- seems you're doing great!

My complaint is that people like you are the ones who pray so hard for victory they won't admit anything negative, yet alone the possibility of defeat.

There is no "winning" in this conflict, although one can always defeat himself.

It's barely the 4th post and the nazis are resurrected ... again

You did resurrect them.

We must stop this atrocity. If the war ends, Hillary may never get the White house!

Hold the phone on Iran. Let the Europeans do that one. We'll back them up, but I don't want to start it. Let them back up their stern talk. I don't like that they criticize us, but then make some bold statements and look to us to back up what they say. They said it, let them do it. We'll have our carriers on stand-by in case they start to get their asses kicked.

the Dolchstoss-legend didn't originate with the nazis, they may used it, but they didn't invent it.

Wanted to pop by and point out your hypocrisy.

Here: "My complaint is that people like you are the ones who pray so hard for defeat they won't admit anything positive, yet alone the possibility of victory."

I'm aware of that. You should realize that most Americans however would not. Hell, many of my students don't know where Germany IS, much less any European History.

Who's fault is that???

Wrong Headhunter.....

We already won a few years ago. We are merely policing the area and trying to help them establish a democracy that they clearly don't understand or won't accept...and all the while terrorists are throwing in monkey wrenches.

SO we can bring em home now? Like, not in ten years but now?

And since when is beating Al Quaeda winning? I could have SWORN finding and disabling WMD's was winning.

You're correct, IF you assume that the main target was Saddam Hussein. Alas, your king doesn't share your views at all.

Noted neoconservative Charles Krauthammer has pronounced the Iraq War a failure.
Well, retroactively at least.

I was doing a bit of research and came upon this quote from a Krauthammer column of October 8, 2003:

"If in a year or two we are able to leave behind a stable, friendly government, we will have
succeeded. If not, we will have failed. And all the geniuses will be vindicated."

It's four years now. The people who have been vindicated are not geniuses but simple old-fashioned conservatives who warned against getting involved in massive nation-building schemes.

Yet the so-called "conservative" side of the argument on the TV talk shows is still represented by neocons like Krauthammer and Bill Kristol. The record shows that they got everything wrong about Iraq and their philosophy of foreign relations has been entirely debunked. Yet the media keeps promoting them as "conservatives" when their internationalist ideology is clearly left-wing in its origins. Meanwhile old-fashioned, America-first conservatives are rarely seen on these shows.

Liberal media conspiracy? You decide. [/i]

What makes the original article especially interesting was that the byline is shared by the author of Fiasco ( http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781594201035,00.html ), Thomas Ricks.

Clearly some good progress is being made over there if that author is convinced that al Queda has been suffering major blows over the last quarter.

Well, based on your avatar, I'm sure you could figure out a way to blame Bush.

But seriously, the blame mostly goes to those who thought they could underpay teachers and expect a quality education. Take a walk through any public high school in Cleveland to see how that worked out.

Teachers should start at $50,000 per year, with a $2000 annual raise. Otherwise, expect a K-Mart quality education for your children.

Rant over.

Oh no, not high oil prices. There is the proof that we lost.

Wait, hold on, yep I knew it. Beer prices are rising too. Damn that war.

Seriously once the speculators leave, which they eventually will, prices will drop. Ridiculous things are buoying the market. Some in the business have complained that events that would not have made it into any newspaper before are suddenly big stories if it is related to oil.

Now as far as your NAZI statements, wonderful twisting game you are playing. What was the reason for bringing up the document anyway?

Don't act all superior when you started down the road.

Bah, my waiver to get back in will never pass if this keeps up!

I do agree though that we should let Europe start it with Iran.