T Nation

Close Grip Bench ROM?

What’s going on everybody?

Just wanted to see what you guys think the best ROM for close grip is.

I throw it in there only a few times for a tri-compound and try to get some more mass for them.

Question is do you think it’s best for a half ROM as it is a pretty taxing movement on your wrists/elbows or for full ROM and full tri contraction?

I place those pads they have for squatting, the manpon, on my chest and bring it down to there. The top half of it is triceps come into play a lot and with this I can use more weight on the upper half of the rom. I never liked the lower half rim where the manpon is because it can cause problems apprently later on with heavier weight (do not know if true) and more importantly I can use more weight in the sweet spot at the top of the rom

[quote]texas man wrote:
I place those pads they have for squatting, the manpon, on my chest and bring it down to there. The top half of it is triceps come into play a lot and with this I can use more weight on the upper half of the rom. I never liked the lower half rim where the manpon is because it can cause problems apprently later on with heavier weight (do not know if true) and more importantly I can use more weight in the sweet spot at the top of the rom [/quote]

I might just give that a try never thought of that or a board for that… I mostly stick to floor presses but today just had a major
Pump with close grip. Prob going to work more of that in now

Thx for the advice man

I normally go down to about 2-3 inches above chest and go back up… keeps tension on the tris

I have always taken my close-grip prees down until it touches my chest. Flat, Incline, Reverse grip, Smith…

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I have always taken my close-grip prees down until it touches my chest. Flat, Incline, Reverse grip, Smith… [/quote]

I have read that the bottom portion places quite a bit of stress on the wrists. Have you experienced any wrist issues? Did you take any precautions or was it a non-issue?

I would find out for yourself if the movement works for you. If not, take out, or try a variation like close grip incline/ floor press.

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I have always taken my close-grip prees down until it touches my chest. Flat, Incline, Reverse grip, Smith… [/quote]

I have read that the bottom portion places quite a bit of stress on the wrists. Have you experienced any wrist issues? Did you take any precautions or was it a non-issue?[/quote]

IMO…many lifters try to get their hands to close. The closest spacing you can use and still touch with your arms close to the body, without the elbows flaring is the proper spacing. For me that is the pinkie/ring-finger on the very beginning of the knurl.

My floor press was my main tri-compound for a while but I relocated gyms and the the heaviest db at this new gym is 110 and there is no squat cage. Idky. Pretty ridiculous actually. I never keep my wrists/hands touching mostly inside the shoulders or at shoulder width. I just have several coaches/friends/PTs about ROM personally I don’t like touching my chest just do to wrist strain but i could always wrap up if convinced to do a full rom

stop going so narrow.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
stop going so narrow. [/quote]

I don’t. Shoulder with maybe a cm or two inside shoulders. Question was the ROM not hand placement

[quote]TakeEverything wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
stop going so narrow. [/quote]

I don’t. Shoulder with maybe a cm or two inside shoulders. Question was the ROM not hand placement [/quote]

You are attributing wrist strain to full ROM. So if you are going to talk about ROM and wrist strain, hand placement needs to be talked about. The further down your ROM is, the wider you hand placement should be to eliminate wrist strain. I do believe that was the point.

If you are shoulder width and it bother your wrists when touching your chest, use a false grip.

I’ve always done mine with hands 9 - 10" apart.

And I’ve always brought the bar to touch my chest. I’ve even done them dead-stop style, driving off the chest like that.

[quote]TakeEverything wrote:
What’s going on everybody?

Just wanted to see what you guys think the best ROM for close grip is.

I throw it in there only a few times for a tri-compound and try to get some more mass for them.

Question is do you think it’s best for a half ROM as it is a pretty taxing movement on your wrists/elbows or for full ROM and full tri contraction?[/quote]

I like partials off the pins. It keeps the tension on the tris and allows me to work with about 50 more pounds than I would be able to off the chest.

I like them on the decline bench. Gives me a few extra inches of ROM at the bottom.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
I like them on the decline bench. Gives me a few extra inches of ROM at the bottom. [/quote]

Going to try this

I use a false grip. I’ve never had a problem with wrist strain no matter how close my hands are.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I use a false grip. I’ve never had a problem with wrist strain no matter how close my hands are. [/quote]
I do love Using false grip as well

Since this is the bodybuilding forum I will assume this is for triceps development, and I will tell you something cool

In a smith
SLIGHT INCLINE bench (like the smallest incline you can use)
Hands a bit closer than shoulder width
Lower TO CHIN
Elbows will end up pointing out when you are at the bottom, this is normal.
Hold for 1sec down there then explode up but do not lockout

Do this exercise last for tris

They will feel great, they did for me this week.