Close Grip Bench Press Instead of Bench Press

Hello Jim, I’ve got a question for you.

First of all I’m still making progress in other lifts but I feel like I stuck at bench press. I’m thinking about switching from regular bench press to close grip just for strengthen my triceps. Also I feel more lat activation in close grip at the bottom.

What do you think?

[quote]-Adrian wrote:
Hello Jim, I’ve got a question for you.

First of all I’m still making progress in other lifts but I feel like I stuck at bench press. I’m thinking about switching from regular bench press to close grip just for strengthen my triceps. Also I feel more lat activation in close grip at the bottom.

What do you think?[/quote]

A close grip bench is a bench press, despite what people have been teaching you. There is a guy who competes in PL, and when he writes about his meets he writes “close grip bench” for his summary and his excuses. It is a running joke with a lot of PL. No one qualifies their competition lifts like that.

Its a bench press. Get bigger, get stronger.

1 Like

Thank you for answer Jim.

Hi Jim

Piggybacking off this thread - as a guy w/lower back issues, how are front squats and trap bar deads as a substitute for back squat and regular deads? Just ordered the book but haven’t gotten to read it yet, not sure if you touch on this at any point…

Thanks in advance

5/3/1 can be used effectively for any big multi-join movement. I did use it for FS for 4 months and got my estimated max 30lbs higher during that time. I have heard that others have used it also for FS with success.

If I recall right the 5’s pro is recommended for FS, unless you’re proficient front squatter and can do high rep work with good form.