T Nation

Close grip bench on arm day

Good afternoon sirs.
Just wondering how everybody feels about doing Close Grip Benching on an arm day.
I’ve been doing pull/push/legs for a while now. Typically have CG’s as a 3rd or 4th movement on push days.
I’m looking to switch to back/chest & shldrs/legs/arms (or maybe arms & shldrs).

I love it
It hits my triceps well and they grow wildly, Definitly my favorite tricep movement
I actually used the manpon (the squat pad) on my chest so I don’t go down all the way
The top rom hits the tricep best for me

Yeh that’s why I want to keep it in. I love the movement itself but I’m wondering if having a chest day and then doing CG’s a few days later is gonna burn out.

Nobody else has any input. I’m pretty sure I’m just over thinking it. I run my pull/push/legs as follows
pull
push
rest
legs
rest
repeat

So right now my pushing muscles get 3 days of complete rest in between sessions. Setting up a standard split that pairs shoulders with either chest or arms means that I would still be able to get 2-3 days of total rest.

Anyway, even if you don’t have any thoughts on the idea of it being “too much”, does anybody else use them on their arm days?

i dont think i would call “push” an “arm” day, lol

i use cg bp on my arm day and i like it

i also do benching and shoulders, each on separate days.

good warm up, good form, good recovery (band pull aparts) keeps it all good for the most part

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
Nobody else has any input. I’m pretty sure I’m just over thinking it. I run my pull/push/legs as follows
pull
push
rest
legs
rest
repeat

So right now my pushing muscles get 3 days of complete rest in between sessions. Setting up a standard split that pairs shoulders with either chest or arms means that I would still be able to get 2-3 days of total rest.

Anyway, even if you don’t have any thoughts on the idea of it being “too much”, does anybody else use them on their arm days?[/quote]

Not alot of input because you are asking about a movement that is a staple in most guys triceps training. Yes, it’s absolutely a solid decision. For best results, pre-fatigue with some pushdown variation, 3-4 sets of 8-20.

Your split looks fine. Running 5 day cycles gives you plenty of recovery but still keeps the frequency a tad bit higher than a 1x/week bodypart split. You should really think about switching push and pull. Fatiguing your lats and bis will have a pretty negative on pressing stability/strength the next day.

@swhole - Sorry. That’s not what I meant. I CURRENTLY do pull/push/legs and have CG’s in as a 3rd/4th movement. I want to stop that routine, and start something like what’s listed below, and I want to MOVE CG’s to my arm day as the primary tricep movement. I do not think of push days as an arm day. I’m trying to gauge how successful people have been with having heavy (250lbs +) CG’s on arm days and if they run into problems with overtraining and/or elbow/shoulder issues.

@JSK - I’m actually looking to switch AWAY from pull/push/legs. I’m thinking something like

Back/Traps
Chest/Shldrs
REST
Legs
Arms
REST
repeat

So in THAT case, I’d be doing heavy pressing movements on chest/shldrs then have 2 days total rest before hitting it again (albeit indirectly with CG’s)

As for having push right after pull I know what you’re saying, I’ve run it every way possible and I like this way better. The more rest between pull and legs the better.

You’re gonna want to switch back and chest/shoulders day. Fatigued back will fuck your pressing. Then you’ll have 3 total days rest between even.