105x5
120x5
90x5x5

Kettlebell Upright Row x15
V Grip Pushdown x25
Snatch Grip Barbell Shrug
3 times through, giant sets with back offs

Fat Gripz D-Ring Lifts
120x 2,3,4,5. -worked some holds in there too. Grip felt strong.

Great workout, I was really able to push the pace. Some dude was taking a lot of breaks, and it really pissed me off,so I tried to go faster.

Did y’all see Lebron? I was inspired as fuck. Dude was like Ice Cube, for real. Get me on the court and I’m trouble, last night I fucked around and got a triple double.

6-21

band Thru belt, leg curls, Step Ups, Suitcasewalk

Power Squat Machine with Band thru Belt
couple warm ups, with some box jumps
200x5
225x5
250x5
200x5x5

Inverse Curl x6
Chest Supported Row x15
Leg Extension x15
3 times, with back off sets

Reverse Hyper
100x25, 4 sets

Hips were tired from sled drag yesterday, It made my “brace” tight. Band tension made me feel my quads, this felt more like squatting than ever.

6-23 Bench

Arm circles and junk with short band around knees.

Blast Strap FacePull
Blast Strap Fallout
Chinese Shrug
Back Raise
Repeat 3 times

Bench Press with Texas Squat Bar
some warmups
185x5
200x5
215x5
185x5x5

Jumps and Chinese Shrugs worked into sets on the way up.

Chinese Shrug x13
Thin, Thin Barbell Curls x13
JMs on Swiss Bar, 3 Grips
repeat 3 times, with back off sets of bench

A bunch of hub lifts, from knee height, with a 35. Dropped a bunch.

6-24 Deadlift?

Band Thru Belt Walks
Leg Curls
Step Ups

Sled Drag, 135 x 1 lap around building

Seated SSB Goodmorning
some warm ups with jumps
30x5
45x5
60x5
30x5x5

Standing Leg Curl x8
Bulgarian Split Squat x13
Close Grip Pulldown x15
3 circuits, with backoff sets of seated GMs

Reverse Hyper
60x25, 4 sets

6-25

Band Pullapart, band dislocates, band hurricanes.
Band Pushdowns x140
Pullaparts/Discloactes/Hurricanes

Dumbbell Walk, 25’s with Fat Gripz x .4 miles.

I watch a TV show. This week, a detestable villain was defeated. I hated that guy so much, I feel like I accomplished something.

6-27 Press

Blast Strap Face Pull/Scarecrow Stuff x10
Blast Strap Fallout x10
Pulldowns on Cable x15
Back Raise x14
4 times

Press
85x5
100x5
115x5
85x5x5

Jumps with warm ups

Dumbbell Shrugs, x8 left, 8 right, 12 together
Rolling DB Tri Extension on Decline x20
Upright Row x20
repeat 4 times with back off sets

Jumps are getting super serious. Worked up to a series of 2 bunny hops and a box jump.

I switched grips 12 times during pulldowns. A couple of them felt really awful, but it made it more natural to find my grip for presses.

No grips today.

6-28 Squat

Walk around with Band thru Belt
Leg Curls
Step Ups
Suitcase walk

Power Squat Machine with band thru Belt
3 working up
175x5
200x5
225x5
175x5x5

Jumps with sets working up. Assistance with back off sets

Inverse Curl x7
Chest Supported Row x18
Leg Extension
4 circuits

Reverse Hypers
120x25, 4 sets

Band Tension was killing me on the squats.

6-30

Blast Strap Face Pull
Blast Strap Fallouts
Chinese Shrugs x15
Back Raises x15
Repeat 4 times

Bench Press With Texas Squat Bar
4 sets working up, many grips
170x5
185x5
200x5
170x5x5

Jumps and Chinese Shrugs between sets on the way up

Chinese Shrug (135) x15
JM Press on Swiss Bar (95) x15 3 grips
Barbell Curls (65) x15 Super skinny barbell

assistance stuff with back off sets.

Pinch grip some plates.

My biceps are starting to let me down on the bench press. I guess I need more curls with super skinny barbells.

JM’s on the swiss bar are great, With the narrowest handles, its a hard triceps isolation. with the widest handles, its just like locking out a bench press.

Body weight is steadily under 220 now. Last fall, my girl started studying to be a nutritionist?/dietitian?. Then, she started prepping meals for a couple guys at the gym. So she’s basically paid for grocery shopping and cooking. I never have to feed myself, and I’m down 20 pounds with no side effects and no effort. We never fight about dinner any more. Bros! You need to get this setup for yourselves!

7-1

warm up junk

Sled Drag. 125 x1 lap around building. This got me today. I had to unhook myself, then hustle around the corner of the building, where no one could see me, so I could get down and on my hands and knees and recover.

Seated GM with SSB
a couple working up
35x5
50x5
65x5
35x5x5

My quads were cooked from Tuesdays squatting. The band tension at the top was effective. So I did
Cable Pull Thru 5x20

with a couple leg extensions and pull downs during back off sets of the GMs.

No reverse hypers.

Today was tough. But its the 4th session, of the 4th week. The fourth week is supposed to feel kind of shitty. That’s why the weights swing back down this week. Training is going like the inside of a Grandfather Clock right now.

I just read “How I Developed My Pulling Power” by Paul Anderson.

He basically described using different lifts, to build his Olympic Lifts. What Louie would call a conjugate style. Then he described a Progressive Ramping approach, similar to Thib’s Zombie Apocalypse routine.

This dude was doing tricep extensions hanging upside down, and build a special cart to drag his legs around, seal-walk style to get an upper body pump.

7-4

Warm up stuff

Press
light sets and jumps
95x5
110x5
125x5
95x5x5

Chins x4
Dumbbell Rolling Tris on Decline x25
Barbell Upright Row x15
4 sets

More chins, D-Ring Lifts. 200 with both hands. I just barely broke 215 off the ground with my left hand.

Feeling it a little bit. Workout took a little longer than normal.

7-5

Warmup Stuff

Power Squat Machine
light sets with jumps
200x5
225x5
250x5
200x5x5

1 Leg Curl x15
Dumbbell Step Ups x15
Chest Supported Iso Row, some together, some apart x15
Repeat 5 times with back off sets

Reverse Hyper
120x25, 4 sets

Felt off yesterday. I was mentally getting ready for a shitty workout, before I got to the gym. Then I thought of Stan Efferding, and how now matter what, I should train like a savage. So I did my squats with no band tension, wearing my belt. Then I just picked new assistance exercises to do instead of the ones that I had been doing. This made the workout “easier,” so I was able to go really hard again.

Story Time:

There was a big-ass black bear poking around my back yard this weekend. Even with a loud, bright fireworks show on my street. I think maybe my smelly trash can attracted it.

To scare it off, I took my machete and marked up a big tree. Then I drank beers and peed on the tree all day. Hopefully, the bear will see there is a big mean S.O.B. around here already.

Yesterday, I was in the gym, doing some arm circles and hip hikes to get loose. In the mirrors I can see a dude behind me, benching and doing curls. Benching on a shitty bench, but doing curls straddling the good, competition bench. I was thinking, “what a douche.”

Then I thought, a real douche would be the guy who called a power rack a squat rack, in relation to what was going on. A minute later, some guy came up and mentioned how curling on the bench was a “bigger douche move than curling in the squat rack.”

I’m on the next level of gym elitism.

Now way he didn’t get the point.

Nice work man, you’re really hitting a lot of different angles in here. Is increasing work capacity still a primary sort of goal?

Hope the garden is doing well.

Yes, 100%, I’m looking to be able to handle more work. I was looking at some routines, some other people’s logs, and then looking at my own workouts, and I was far away from handling what other people were doing.

I had to drop the weights way down, so at first I was using lifts that were new to not feel so bad. Then as I started getting the rep counts up, I needed to hit new angles stuff didn’t hurt. 100 chins was great for my lats, but it killed my elbow. An awesome side effect was reminding me of the conjugate mindset. I used to be smart enough to switch exercises. Hitting all the angles has helped my shitty posture and crooked hips too.

The lighter weights really let me push the pace, and the circuits really eliminate breaks. It just sort of happens by itself. I was going nowhere for awhile, trying to get more in using drop sets and barbell complexes and stuff. This is must easier.

-The garden is doing well. I’ll have to get a couple pics. I have some caterpillars trying to eat the cabbages and broccoli and a raccoon or something digging up the compost pile, but that’s just part of the game. Everything has got to eat.

7-7

Warm Up Junk
Hanging Leg Raises
A few jumps

Bench Press with Texas Squat Bar
a few sets, a bunch of grips
190x5
205x5
220x6
190x5

Dumbbell Rear Delts x25
Barbell Curls with Skinny Bar x25
Chest Supported Iso Row, Neutral Grip x25
Repeat 4 times

Hub lifts.

I rushed the first rep benching 220, and did an extra to make up for it. I was curling like 40-45 pounds on this little skinny bar, and needed to like rest pause to hit 25 reps. Poor biceps!

Tough times in the garden.

Dipel dust will save your cabbages. Cabbage worms are a pain! Not sure about the bear thing though :flushed:

I’ve been using the dust, but all the rain is turning it into an ineffective paste. You can just see it smeared on some of the lower leaves.

Unrelated to the garden;

“One type of personal education that can only be self-taught is when to change from one routine to another. A lifter should never wait until he goes to change the routines in a particular endeavor, but know his body well enough to know when this staleness is approaching and change before his lift stops escalating. Know yourself well, and then you will know when to change to other assistance exercises for the bench press, or in fact for any lift you are trying to strengthen.”

“This is also one of my favorites and has given great results through the years, and as you will notice, like all the others it always includes some type of exercise which we are endeavoring to enhance. I developed a theory years ago that is quite simple and has always proven true. That is, when doing an assistance exercise to increase a particular lift, always include the lift itself in the routine. The reason for this is to continue to coordinate the strength that is being built by the assistance exercises into the lift on which you are really concentrating.”

“Here I have given you five of the greatest routines that I have ever worked up. Some of them you have possibly done before, or at least variations of them. Others may be new to you. I would personally think that it would take about a year to go through all of them, and you may use each of them for the period of time that you think is necessary. As I have said before, everyone is an individual, and one of the main things you should know is when you are about to go stale and should switch from one routine to another.”

Paul Anderson, from “Bench Press Training.”

“Charles Poliquin once said, “Christian, if you want to learn something new about training, read a book that’s 100 years old.” That ignited my passion for what the pioneers of strength training did to get bigger and stronger. If you apply their ideas to your training and put in the work, you’ll progress at a rate you couldn’t have imagined before.”

3 Ways to Build Old School Strength
Classic Training Methods That Work
by Christian Thibaudeau | 12/08/15

“History, having a habit of repeating itself, was no exception in my case. After training with my newly found routine for about a month, I again started feeling the same old staleness as before. This second slowing down period, although not as severe as the first, proved to me that I needed more assistance exercises.”

Paul Anderson, “Training the Press”

“Speed strength work is done for a 3-week cycle. The weight with bands, chains, or both is changed each week, normally increasing each week for the 3 weeks. On the fourth week, the load is decreased or changed, and again another 3-week wave is started. Why do we start again after 3 weeks? We found that after 3 weeks, one cannot become faster or stronger. That is exactly why a 3-week wave is used. Dr. Mel Siff informed me that Vasily Alexeev used a similar wave system for his remarkable training.”

Louie Simmons, “PERIODIZATION: PENDULUM WAVE”

Why not take advantage of the fact that the first week of a new plan will likely be less effective? “Deload” on that week instead of on the last week of each block.

"Now it becomes an “introduction week.” Use a lower level of demands to get used to the new program and perfect each session. You’ll recover from the previous block while also easing into the next block.

Now you aren’t wasting anything! You’ll also finish every block strong, leaving you in a much more positive mindset than finishing a block on an “easy week.”"

Tip: Don’t Use Deload Weeks. Use Intro Weeks.
Stop wasting 25 percent of your strength training workouts. Here’s a better way to deload and boost recovery.
by Christian Thibaudeau | 05/08/16

7-8

Warm up stuff. No sled today.

Seated Gm’s with SSB
a few sets ups
45x5
60x5
70x5
45x5x5 weight is pounds per side. Finally got up to a 45 and a 25 per side.

I did some easy assistance junk between sets. Nothing too tough, I was feeling pretty drained, but the “main lift” is moving forward with no problems. .

7-9

Band Pull Aparts/Band Dislocates/Band Hurricanes x10/20/6
Dumbbell Curl x10
Band Tricep Pushdowns x100
Dumbbell Curl x10

Repeat Twice

I’ve been slacking on my work outside of the gym. Everything has been feeling so good, I haven’t done much daily stuff. Now that I actually need it to recover between workouts, it’s too late.

7-10

Walking around, hugging a medicine ball to my stomach, wearing ankle weights, barefoot. Push abs out into ball. Maintain posture. 10 minutes.

Then I took the dogs for a walk. I felt like one of those fancy horses that high steps around.

Pick up sticks

Ok ok. I feel ya. That’s an awesome goal, I’m sure it will carry over well to almost anything you decide to do afterwards. Yeah some folks are nuts with their work capacity! And now I have a better understanding why you switch up you exercises as you do… too much of the same motion really gets me some nagging issues pretty quickly. Didn’t think about the hips/posture thing. I don’t really do too many new movements, but perhaps I should start.

Have you tried putting some sort of very fine netting around the cabbages?