Clockin' A Grip

7-3 Upper Body

A couple stretches, some band serratus stuff. Then a lat activation drill from john meadows.

Rear Delt Extensions on Cable.
4 x12-10

Double D Handle Tricep Pushdowns.
4 x15. Another one from john meadows. THE CHRONIC!

Pulldowns on Iso Leverage Machine. Lat activation drill between sets.
4 x12. Alternated arms for better 1 arm at a time contraction.

Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press. I sat side saddle and pushed across my chest. I was trying to hit the middle/bottom part of my pecs. I was feeling myself up with the other hand.
4 x15-12.

Rear Delt Destroyers
20/30/35 dumbbells x 30 reps

Overhead Tricep Extensions on Cable with Long Rope
3 x20-12

Dumbbell Rows, Charles Glass Style.
55 x15 x 3 sets. Also The Chronic!

Incline Dumbbell Fly
3 x12. Pedestrian.

Great workout.

John Meadows lat activation drill.

Double D Handle Pushdowns

Dumbbell Rows like Charles Glass.

Slap on some clay.

1 Like

I just found the John Meadows stuff on the you tubes also. Great stuff

7-4
Fire works and drinking.

7-5 Legs

Seated Calves
4 x20, hold at top not bottom this time.

Standing Calves
4 x20

Single Leg Standing Leg Curl
4 x12

Band Good morning
4 x20

Leg Extension
4 x25

Ab/Hip Raise
3 x12

Kinda hung over. After the gym we went to see my girlfriend’s Grandfather at bag pipe camp. At an old monestarty in the mountains. Traditional instruments and places of quiet contemplation are cool. But bagpipes, no AC and small, super uncomfortable wooden furniture were tough conditions for a hang over. Plus lots of old guys continuously approaching my hot young blonde gf with bag pipe jokes. RPE 10.

7-6 Upper Body

Cable Rear Delt fly action.
3 x10

Seated Cable Row with Medium Width handle
4 x12. Lat activation drill between sets.

Double D Tricep Pushdowns
4 x15

Dumbbell Incline Bench
4 x12. Trying to keep elbows out more. Really killing my pecs.

Rear Delts on Reverse Pec Deck.
3 x15

Pulldowns, grip outside shoulders
3 x12. Not feeling these very well.

Tricep/Dip Machine
3 x15. Again, trying to get elbows out more than tucked to sides for more tension.

Chinese Row
125 x10 x5 sets with 40 second rest.

Mind muscle connection is improving. Its getting easier to feel muscles and keep tension on without high high reps or holds at top or slow lowering.

3 Likes

7-8
Conditioning

Walked pretty fast up to the top of the ridge behind the house.

7-9 Legs

Seated Calf Raise with 2 count stretch at bottom
4 x20-15

Standing Calf
4 x15

Donkey Calf Raise, Dip Belt for weight
3 x25

Leg Curls with hold near top
4 x12

45 Degree Back Raise
4 sets of 20. Held a 35 plate for 2 Sets

Step Ups
3 x12 each leg

1 Like

7-10 Back

Seated Chest Supported Iso Row
4 x15-10

Cable Rear Delt Extensions
4 x12. Off hand on working arm. Hung a 5 pound plate on the weight stack pin for last set. Hardcore!

Iso Pulldown Machine
4 x12. One arm at a time. Used Fat Gripz.

Dumbbell Row, Glass Style
3 x15. Up to 65s.

Rear Delt Destroyers
3 x25. Up to 40s.

Chin Ups
x7, 7, 7, 6. The Best these have felt in forever.

Iso Leverage Preacher Curls. 1 arm at a time.
3 x12. This thing killed my biceps.

Alternating Dumbbell Curls with Fat Gripz.
3 x15-12.

1 Like

7-12 Push

Stretch shoulder with wrist in band stretch/ arm circles against wall/hand serratus pushes
Two times around

Side Delt Dumbbell Raises
2 light light feeler sets, then 3 x15 with 15s.

Double D Handle Tricep Pushdowns
4 x20, working down the stack

Seated Overhead Press Machine
4 x15. First time using this thing. The machine moved in an arc and the handles ended up almost behind my head. Didn’t hurt and I could feel my shoulders. Will use for a few weeks.

Dip/Tricep Press Machine
3 x15.

Hammer Strength Incline Press
3 x12. Sit side saddle and press across chest.

Bench Press
95 x20 x3 sets

Bench Press felt different. I could feel my weak right pec and my weak right tricep working, and then trying to quit. For the first time I was aware of my right shoulder trying to rotate in and raise up and wing my elbow out to shift pressure on to my front delt. The light weight let me stop it from happening. That’s cool.

My girlfriend is trying out a new routine “12 week explosive strength make-over” from a Josh Bryant book. It’s got olympic style lifts and speed bench/squat and fun stuff like that. Today was snatch day and we spent some time using internal then external shoulder rotation to get the arms straight and back flat. I’m sure that helped my shoulder positioning during presses/benching.

It was a fun day at the gym.

3 Likes

7-13

Seated Calf Raise, 2 count hold at top
4 x20-15

Standing Calf Raise
4 x15

Band resisted front shin move between sets

Jim Williams Shrug (mid back shrug on chest supported that row)
5 x12

Plate Loaded Shrug Machine ( try squeeze back and up)
4 x12 with 2 count hold at top

Seated Dumbbell Clean with Fat Gripz
3 x15 with 20s

No abs today.

1 Like

Good to see stamp collection is gong well

2 Likes

Thanks man. I’m kinda enjoying this change of focus. With new movements I get to make workout to workout straight linear newbie gains.

7-16 Legs

Left thigh and hip going around to my upper butt area have been tingly and tight. For a few days I was worried I was having some kind of disk related nerve issue. But then I decided to believe my quad tendon was irritated and inflamed from too many leg extensions and step ups. So no quads.

Mc Gill 3 and Dumbbell suitcase walks to get going.

Leg Curls
3x15
Band Goodmornings
3 x20
45 Back Raise
3 x20

Sled Drag, power walk forward
Work up to 4 plates. Then 4 lengths with 4 plates and a 25. Just enough weight to almost get side to side wobbles. Use enough weight to expose the weak leg, then do some work with that.

I rested between drags, even with just 1 plate. Definetly made it feel more like lifting and less like conditioning.

7-17 Push

Band shoulder stretch. Shouler extension-rotation move against wall. Bench shrugs instead of band serratus pushes.

Rear Delts on Reverse Pec Deck.
4 x12

Side Delts with dumbbells
3 or 5 x15. These felt good my first two sets turned into too low to count feeler sets.

Tricep Pushdown on Cable
3 x20. Elbows are starting to feel the extensions

Pec Deck, Hands on Elbow Pads
4x15. Felt great today. More elbow driven and better aligned movement.

Incline Chest Press Machine
3 x15

Chinese Row
185 x6 x6 with 40 seconds rest. Didn’t exactly fit in, but something I was working on from before.

Bench Press
95 x20, 20, 20

Right side still feels weaker.

More single joint motions on machines. What will happen to my upper stabilizers?! Shoulders feeling stable, rear delts pecs are improving.

2 Likes

We got some heavy rain Tuesday night and a tree fell across the duck pond, crushed the fence and blocked the road. I used the chain saw to clear the road at 6am Wednesday, but used the axe in the evening to deal with what was left in the pond and over the fence. My gloves got wet pretty quickly so they protected my hands but made the axe handle slippery. I had to hold on extra hard and it crushed my poor grip. I had to use straps for everything today.

7-19 Width Specific Pull

I did a couple sets of the lat activation drill to get started and a few more sprinkled into the workout.

Iso Leverage Pulldowns, 1 arm at a time
1 easy feeler warm up then 3 x12. Up to 2 plates per side.

Iso Leverage Chest Supported Row, 1 arm at a time
1 light one, then 3 x15-12. Up to 3 plates per side.

Glass Style Dumbbell Row
1 feeler, then 3 x13. Up to 75s, the last dumbbell on the top row of the 2nd rack.

Double D Handle Pulldowns
1 light then 3 x15, still kinda light.

Iso Leverage Preacher Curl, 1 arm at a time
3 x12. The ROM on this is so short but bicep contraction is severe.

Connection to lats continues to improve. I was able to pretty much get the squeeze I wanted ever set without any holds or slow lowerings. Except on preacher curls, which were almost like flexing. I hit some fun benchmarks. On to 4 plates per side and the 100 pound dumbbells.

2 Likes

7-20 Push of Shoulders

Stretch/ Arm circles against wall/ 1 set of serratus pushes with Band. 2 sets of bench shrugs.

Rear Delts on Cable (shoulder height, pull across)
4 x15
Donkey Calves between sets
4 x30

Rear Delt Destroyers
30 x25 x 3 sets
Standing Calves Between sets
3 x15

Side Delts on Low Cable
4 x15
Seated Psoas lift between sets
10 per leg, 4 times.

Iso Seated Press Machine
4 x15
Abs on Ball between sets
4 x20

Today was a few deadlifts, then speed deads followed by power cleans and finally power snatch for my woman. Last week she had some trouble getting into position for the snatching. Her knees were way out in front and the bar was super far away. Then she had a habit of pulling with her arms letting the bar drift away. Cleans were pretty good, but she kinda leaned over then leaning back instead of keeping tall and upright after the bar passed her knees. She’s done a million deadlifts so speed deads just looked like a deadlift she wasn’t particularly interested in.

This week I could already see changes. She was getting her shoulders over the bar on the speed deads, already adjusting to a more Oly style. But this made the lats lock in super tight, keeping the bar close and the arms straight and making the deadlifts look super crisp.

Power cleans she kept the bar super close and got great trap pop, keeping everything tall, not pulling with arms. And dipping under instead of leaning back.

Snatches were still a little out in front, but improved and closer than last time. It was interesting to see the improvements “go down hill.” The snatch, the hardest lift was a little improved. But the slightly better positions in the hard lift made big improvements in the easier power and and the even easier deadlift.

It will be cool to see what happens in a few more weeks.

2 Likes

7-23 Pull

Williams Shrug
3 x15, light working up
4 plates x 12 x 3 sets

Chinese Row
135 x10 x5 sets, 45 seconds rest.

Iso Leverage Shrug Machine
4 x15 with 2 count pause at top

Underhand Grip Pulldowns
4 x12x

3 sets of machine preacher curls.
3 sets of dumbbell curls with Fat Gripz.

1 Like

7-24 Legs

Isometric Deadlift Pulls in Power Rack. 2 positions above knee, 1 right at knee and one just under knees.

Between the two stuff I did 3 x20 band Goodmornings and 3 x15 back raises.

I’ve been standing on 1 foot and leaning to one side because of my back, so I did the isometrics to try to get square. My back feels back to normal but walking around all gimpy has my left quad all tight and irritated. I tried to get on all fours to do some bird dogs but when my knee touched the floor it hurt. I guess it’s a little swollen and sensitive. More rest, ice and ibuprophen I guess. This stuff is getting tiresome.

2 Likes

7-26 Push or Chest

Pec Deck, Hands on Elbow Pads
4 x15-12

Double D Ring Tricep Pushdowns
4 x20

Plate Loaded Leverage Iso Incline Chest Press
4 x20-12

PJR Pullovers
5 x25-20. Started too light, so the reps were high, but these were Effective. I used a dumbbell. No problem for shoulder or elbow.

Flat Dumbbell Bench
3 x15 with 50s. Triceps were fatigued. I felt like I could drop the dumbbells any second.

Tricep/Dip Machine
3 x20-15. Tris must pay!

Bench Press
95 x20 with regular/wide/narrow grip. Triceps were trying to get out of there.

2 Likes

What happened to your legendary grip? :frowning_with_open_mouth:

I found out about Fast Cars, Whiskey, Long Legged Girls and Fun. I slacked on my grippin’…

3 Likes

7-27

Skipped the gym to go shopping for a car for the woman. Getting older sucks, except for buying stuff. Being a “well qualified buyer” is Legit. It is strange to see how my girls mind works though. Some dealer would ask what we were looking for and she’d say something like “no tan interior” or “I like how this one tells me how fast I’m going.”

She ended up with a pretty tricked out Ford Escape.

7-30 Width Pull Day

Leverage Iso Pulldowns
4 x12. Little heavier than last time, still feeling good.

Charles Glass Dumbbell Row
4 x12. Up to 85, better than last time. These are starting to feel Nice.

Seated Chest Supported Leverage Row
4 x10. Lost a little bit from last time. These may be played out for now.

Chin Up
bw x10 overhand. Surprisingly easy and tight
x10 neutral
x10 underhand
x6 overland. Surprisingly fatigued, herky-jerky and sloppy.

Plate Loaded Preacher Curl
4 x12

Skinny Barbell Curls, inside power rack for Max Saftey.
3 x15 working up
Reverse Curls
3 x20 working back down.

Good workout. Getting better at chins makes me believe my back is getting less weak.

2 Likes

7-31 Shoulders

Rear Delts on Reverse Pec Deck
4 x12

Rear Delt Destroyers
20 x45 reps
25 x45
35 x41
30 x45

I think John Meadows says to do 60 reps. That will be tough.

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
4 x20

Seated Press Machine
A few sets to get a groove that didn’t hurt.
4 x12
This press machine sucks compared to the other good one, but two old guys were taking their time on the good one.

Side Note.
Its starting to smell like footballs. Here’s a pic of Legendary bad-ass cowboy/Powerlifter/pro wrestler Doug Furnas (with his brother) when they played for Tennessee.
furnas_football

1 Like

Bro mode engaged :wink:

I’m all bro now. When I see a deadlift, I say, “what muscle does that work?” I skip squats because they make my hips too wide. I’m so bro, I have my spotters Push Down on the barbell to accentuate the negative portion of the rep. I’ve started to wear my girlfriends tank tops to the gym…

8 -2 Thickness Back, but aww Jeez, my back is tired. Lats were feeling it.

Williams Shrug on Chest Supported T-Bar
1 easy one x20
then 4 x12

Chinese Rows
I got 1 set in then said no way.

Dumbbell Shrug, 1 arm
5 x15-12. Started too light, but these were good. Great ROM and contraction. Will do again.

Couple sets of barbell shrugs with snatch grip. Still not ready for these, I can’t get both sides to do the same thing.

Time for abs. I tried some Sidebends but my obliques were already feeling like wood. The single arm shrugs must have done something to them. Then some McGill Curl Ups. My bad were already pretty lit up so these were pretty much isometric ab squeezes on the verge of cramps. It was a short deload workout for my gf so we just got out of the gym pretty quick.

Not great lifting but it was good to feel my Sides (lats/serratus/obliques) “locked in.”

My knee is feeling better, hopefully I can do some legs soon. My upper body is running out of steam.

4 Likes