Clockin' A Grip

I’m actually quite not sure! Most common injuries in volleyball are either ankle sprains or rotator cuff issues

To put things into context, my SI problem happened in medical school. I had to do conditioning in high school when I was playing, and that conditioning aspect was gone by college and medical school but I kept playing volleyball. That’s probably why I got injured

Hmm not sure what those are? Luckily, all I had to do was some basic core rehab exercises and stretching my very tight hamstring

1 Like

Shit! No magic belts, just patience and the basics.

10-18 Legs

Get loose

Squeeze ball between knees x 15 count
Clamshell x 15
2 pairs

Leg Spread Iso x 15 count
Adductor Raise x 15
2 pairs

Pallof Press Iso x 15 count
Multifidis Raise x 10
2 pairs

Leg Extension Iso x 15 count
Standing Leg Curl x 15
2 pairs

Leg Curl Iso x 15 count
Step Down x 15
2 pairs

Butt against Wall Back Extension Iso x 15 count
Seated Psoas Raise x 15
2 pairs

Tibialus Raise x 17
Seated Calf x 20
4 pairs

Boring isometrics paired with boring motions so it was only half as boring.

Looking forward to Mid Back Day and considering going back/triceps instead of back/biceps.

3 Likes

That’s a cool point about the conditioning and “base” that we build up in high school and then abondon when we just focus on 1 activity. So we can then get injured.

I’m going to have to get down on some jumping jacks, skipping and pushups.

10-19 Traps/Biceps

Get Loose

Shrugs with the weights hanging off little bands
x 20 x 4 sets

Chinese Row
x 12 x 4 sets

Face Pull with Band Overhead
x 20 x 3 sets

Band Tricep Pushdowns then Extensions
About 40 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest x 4 times

Kaz Press
x 12 x 3 sets

Chain Floor Tricep Extensions
x 20 x 3

Good workout.

Between rows I did some shoulder internal/external rotations, bent over at the waist, with a kettlebell hanging in my hand, focusing on rotating my upper arm bone in the socket. I held my off hand against my ribs so I could make sure not to let my ribs flare or arch my back or do any fruity stuff to cheat the rotation. Better Rotation = Better Rows.

I also did the same thing with my wrist in a band anchored overhead, when I did the facepulls. Easy and effective!

Triceps after back was cool. I definitely had more juice than doing them after chest/shoulders. Chain extensions were really noisy and obnoxious. Cool!

4 Likes

Box squats with the Bottom of the thigh parallel to the floor. It’s OK to go a little high. Remember to wear your briefs.

Get your scaps moving and your elbows warmed up before benching.

Ed Coan told Julius to do close grip overhead press for triceps and bench press lockout.

2 Likes

Fight Butt Wink

1 Active Feet. Don’t let arches collapse and make knees fall inward. (2:30)
2 Stretch Calf for ankle mobility (3:30)
3 Loosen hip flexors with Couch Stretch because tight ones pull you into butt wink. (4:30)
4 Loosen Adductors because tight ones pull your hips forward and under at the bottom (7:00)
5 Torso Stability from planks, side planks and suitcase walks. (9:00)

Couch stretch for hip flexor. Plus a regression

Frog Stretch

The Hockey Stretch. Like the frog with 1 leg out.

1 Like

There are little muscles between the spine bones and if you stretch them too far bending or twisting they get pissed and cramp up.

1 Like

10-22 Shoulder/Bicep

Get Loose

Rear Delts with Band
x 15/15/20

Side Delts with Band
x 15/15/20

Arnold Press
x 12 x 3 sets

Rear Delt Swing
x 15 x 2 sets

Hammer Wrist Rotation x 4
Band Spider Curl x 25
3 pairs

Kettlebell Wrist Extension x 20
Alternating DB Curl x 20
3 pairs

Downer Week. Weights low, rests long, no failings, no pukes.

2 Likes

The family and I went for a nice walk through the woods yesterday. The weather was perfect and we were having a good time so we went the long way instead of the short way a couple times. I woke up a little bit stiff this morning, I guess I went just slightly over my capacity. So far it seems like I’ll survive, but I’ll follow the advices of Stuart McGill and do a shorter distance, more often.

After hearing from Cross Fit guy in the Ask Me Anything I’m really missing EMOM stuff and the conditioning and work capacity it builds. I’m not really ready for a ton of bending over and squatting down to do thrusters and clean and presses, so I’ve decided to try pushing the wheel barrow a short distance with brief rests.

It seems like a good idea because it’s full body without having to really get under and weights, lift anything over my head, or squat down. I think I’ll go up and down an incline to make it a little tougher and unlike the sled the wheelbarrow is tough on the way down too.

Hopefully I can spend some more time outside doing vigorous stuff that feels vaguely athletic and be at peace with my boring, safe gym workouts for awhile.

5 Likes

10-25

Arm across chest stretch and hip hikes on all fours to get some spine rotation.

Suitcase Walk and upside down kettlebell walk for some stability.

Straight Arm Cable Pulldown, overhand grip
x 15 x 3 sets

1 Arm Chest Supported Row, Neutral Grip
x 10 x 4 sets

Cable Pulldown, close Semi Supinated grip
x 12 x 3 sets

1 Arm Cross body tricep extension
x 20 x 3 sets

DB PJR Pullover
x 12 x 4 sets

Band Pushdown then overhead extension when I got tired
x 40 seconds work and 30 seconds rest x 4 times

Another great one. Still down week, trying for a rep or two in reserve, but I was feeling so good it was hard to keep the lid on.

I did some internal/external shoulder stuff between sets of rows. Here’s Donnie Thompson. The band pulls arm “out”, lat stretches and thumb rotates down (internal rotation). Then you suck the shoulder back in as you rotate thumb up (external rotation). It makes rows feel nice. Then I did that with the band overhead for pulldowns.

On band Tricep Pushdowns I used Thib’s 40-30-5 for maximum lactic acid pump. It was a nice burn.

1 Like

Hey flats, if you could do just one exercise to grow the long head and medial head of the triceps, what exercise would that be? overhead cable tricep extension?

I like neutral grip for medial head. You need your arm fully straight to hit that little short muscle.

And yeah, overhead on the cable is good for the long head. Especially if you can kinda push your elbows Out to stretch the tris, then push them together to emphasize the contraction.

This little guy does a pretty good job of putting the two together.

Once you’re comfortable with that and have slightly more time, try some neutral pushdowns for medial head/peak contraction then some PJR Pullovers for long head/stretch position.

2 Likes

Today was supposed to be some kind of sled/legs day, only I pushed that shit to Friday. I was stiff Monday and had some nerve pain BS Tuesday. Waking up today I was like 50% better and the pain decreased as I got moving. I’m hoping I’ll be 100% tomorrow and ready for world’s easiest leg day Friday.

So today became Chest Day. Everybody likes working on the Hood!

10-27 Chest Biceps

Get loose

Pec Deck, Lean Forward for upper pec emphasis
x 15 x 3 sets

Converging Decline Press Machine
x 11 x 4 sets

Smith Incline Bench
12 x 3 sets

Wrist Rotation x 4
Reg Curl with Kettlebell x 15
3 pairs

Wrist Roller x backwards then forwards twice
Incline Curls with Chains x 18
3 pairs

Good one. I alternated between chest workout A and chest workout B and it’s been 3 weeks since I did these lifts. Plenty of time to recover and "Digest the Workout. The reps I left in the tank last time turned into strength to use more weight this time. Fun!

3 Likes

Dan Green looking huge and strong again. Also notice the briefs to protect the hips when using the wide stance.

Dan Green talks with Louie.

Dan Green and Dave Tate.

1 Like

10-29 Legs

Get loose

Iso Adductor Ball Squeeze x 10 count
Clamshell x 10
2 pairs

Abduction Iso Knee Spread x 10 count
Adductor Raise x 10
2 pairs

Deadlift Iso
Pin 4 x 3 “reps” x 3 sets
Pin 3 x 3 reps x 3 sets

Between “sets” of DLs I did

Ham Curls x 15 x 2 sets
Leg Extensions x 15 x 2 sets
45 Back Raise x 8
Heels Elevated BW Squat x 8

Then Calves

Tibia Raise x 20
Standing Calf Raise x 20
3 sets

I was going to leave, but I couldn’t face the weekend with a flaccid upper body.

Band upper body circuit (1 move for back, chest, bicep, tricep, delt) x 15 x 3 rounds.

Easy but good, no pain. It felt nice to flex my atrophied quads. I wore my briefs for the deadlift Isos because I was using an outside shoulder width stance. BW is low and legs are skinny so they went on like regular underwear.

1 Like

8 Likes

11-1 Traps/ Triceps

Get Loose

Seated DB Shrug
x 20 x 3 sets

Chest Supported Row
x 10 x 4 sets

Wide Grip Pulldown to Forehead
x 12 x 3 sets

Cable Pushdown, Neutral Grip
x 25 x 3 sets

Kaz Press in Smith Machine
x 10 x 4 sets

Overhead Tricep Cable Extension with Long Rope
x 15 x 4 sets

Not super exciting. Nice burning. I’m liking the Kaz Press.

2 Likes

More Halloween

8 Likes

Wenning Stuff.

Matt trying to sell you on Conjugate, emphasizing rotating your lifts and using assistance to target weak points. A few cool shots showing a lift on week 1 (straight bar bench with bands or SSB box squat) then a similar but different lift week 2 (football bar bench & pauses in eccentric with chains or Bamboo bar squat).

Dynamic Effort stuff. If you want to use the DE method year round, use 35-45% bar weight (+25% accommodating resistance). In Wenning’s opinion, the twenty years ago, Westside recommendations of 50-60% are too much to use long term. Lots of cool clips of different moves like dynamic shrugs out of the rack (or not very high high pulls) for DE pulling or Bamboo Bar squat for DE squat. I think dude does a depth jump with a kettlebell for extra Kinetic Energy. Exciting!

11-3 Delts/Biceps

Get loose

Rear Delt Raise with DBs x 20
Lu Raise x 15
3 pairs

Seated Press in Smith Machine
x 10 x 4 sets

Wrist Rotation with Stick x 6
Band Spider Curl x 25
3 pairs

Plate Wrist Extension x 15+
Alternating DB Curl x 20/15/10
3 pairs

I swapped 2, flat pavement stroller walks out for 2, uneven ground hill walks. Look Out!

1 Like