Clockin' A Grip

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Happy birthday

1 Like

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Thanks friends, it was a great day.

Prime rib is awesome, it’s like the easiest Great meal to cook at home.

Congratulations buddy

1 Like

12-28 Hamstrings, Calves, Volumes

Get loose

Zercher GM
x 12 x 1 warmup and 3 real sets

Standing Hamstring Curl
x 12 x 3 sets

Wide Stance Ukrainian Deadlift
x 12 x 1 to find the groove and 3 work sets

Reverse Hyper
x 15 x 4 sets

Seated Calves
x 12 x 3 sets, after 2 sets working up

Standing Calves
x 15 x 4 busters

Pretty chilled out lower rear quadrant workout.

1 Like

Some stuff that popped up.

Bench cues for long limbs. Instead of breathing into your belly and flattening yourself out, breath into your upper chest. Automatic chest up and shoulder back. Continue to push your chest up to meet the bar as you lower it.

Instead of hip driving your ass up off the bench, knee extension yourself across the bench. Put your feet flat then do like a leg extension, using your quads to drive yourself into then bench. Don’t glute-bridge yourself up off the bench.

Tight QL muscle and back pain. Quadratus lumborum connects the side of your pelvis to your spine. Tightness on one side makes your hips crooked. Sleeping or driving positions can tighten you up. So release that tightness by rolling around then stretching out. This video is like a direct copy of athleanX’s QL video from awhile back.

3 Likes

Another shoulder/scap video.

6 moves. One(#3 or 4) is the kneeling scap pushup, with a band around your back. That’s cool because you’re on your knees so it’s easy and targeted, then the band makes is harder, directly where you want it. Another (#6) is a bicep stretch, in a position similar to the scap dips I’ve been playing with. Except instead of moving you just hang out in place and stretch into the position.

I did those 2 today with some internal/external rotations and it was good.

12-30 Triceps and Chest, Intensity

JM Press
x 6 x 2 sets

Kaz Press in Smith Machine
x 6 x 2 sets

Dip Machine + Miniband
x 7 x 2 sets

Lever Incline Press Machine, 3 count eccentric
x 6 x 3 sets

DB Bench Press, Pause at top and bottom
x 6 x 3 sets

Suitcase High Knee March
x 6 per leg x 3 walks

Decline Situp x 10
Crunches on Ab Ball x 10
3 sets each, aiming for no rest

There were a couple warmups in there too. Made an effort to raise the chest during the benching. Solid workout. Most of those movements have hurt my elbow or shoulder or both some time in the past and today was 98% pain free.

4 Likes

1-1 Traps and Biceps, Moderate Volume

Get loose

Lay on Incline Bench DB Shrug x 10
Neck Harness Extensions x 15
1 easy one then 3 tough pairs

Wide Grip, Lean Back, Neutral Grip Elbows Out Pulldowns
x 10 x 3 sets

Bent Rows with DBs x 12
Machine Shrug, Elbows Up Behind Back x 10
3 pairs

Monster Band Hammer Curl
x 15, 20, 25, 20

Fat Gripz Alternating DB Curl
x 10 x 3 sets

KB Arnold Curl
x 15, 12

It took a few attempts to find the right groove attachment for the pulldowns. Wide and overhand was killing my poor elbow. Or right in front of my elbow, high on the forearm, like maybe where bicep attaches? Neutral handles was way better. Then the proper lean made it smoother.

Another good workout.

4 Likes

@FlatsFarmer you’re my go-to-guy for talking about some more nuanced concepts. I’ve got something on my mind lately, and I’d love to hear your thoughts. This relates to training athletes moreso than lifters/bros.

Would you prefer to rotate the athletes’ lifts very regularly, so that improved motor learning/efficiency does not contribute to increased strength; or would you prefer only use a handful of lifts, so that they maximise their motor learning/efficiency early on, and thus their strength improvements come from increased force output (which is the goal) because they’ve already mastered the lift?

2 Likes

That’s a tough one dude! I think that knowing the answers is how you’ll make your money as a coach!

You don’t want to throw so much at young dudes (like young in training age) that they are overwhelmed and confused. And you don’t want things so boring for more experienced guys that they loose interest and stop putting in effort during training.

Sticking to just a few lifts is cool, your trainees know what they’re doing that day and can focus on those lifts and getting strong. So it’s easy to settle in and bust ass. On the other hand, after awhile the weights get big, and sometimes those big weights can get intimidating! Instead of kicking ass lifting your dudes are pacing back and forth, worried about getting under that 92% squat.

1 Like

It seems like the best coaches are able to balance keeping things the same to get strong and keeping things different to keep progressing.

Thibadeau talks about keeping the lifts the same but altering the execution/emphasis frequently.

Bill Starr kept the movement patterns and execution the same, but rotated the actual lifts (squats to front squats, clean to snatches) and weights (heavy/light/medium).

Conjugate guys keep a few things pretty constant (DE days) a few things a little more varied (ME days) and use tons of variety for others (RE).

Verkhoshanky always had his guys lift, run or bound, and jump. Then they worked through various moves and methods until they found out what worked best for each guy and stuck with those.

3 Likes

You’re like me, you’re interested in mastering lifts and maximizing force production and understanding the process of training. And looking for the best way. Lots of guys aren’t like us.

A few days ago somebody was asking about the snatch and you suggested a few drills to break the lift apart and emphasize the catch portion. That’s exactly what I would have said to do. And another dude who thinks like us suggested some other drills.

Your most coordinated, athletic “kinesthetically aware” athletes are not going to be down with that. For them, lifting is about getting the barbell from A to B. Instead of special drills they just want you to tell them exactly how to move (come up on your toes/don’t pull so soon with your arms). Then they are athletic enough that they’ll just do exactly that. Silly drills will bore them.

Your clumsiest dudes won’t even understand the connection between a drill like raising on their toes and shrugging and doing a snatch. Too many movements will confuse and overwhelm them.

3 Likes

If you want to hear some guys talk coaching check these out.

UFC fighter Matt Brown talks from the perspective of an athlete receiving coaching. He says that it’s more important to have a culture of hard work and common purpose than it is to be a genius coach.

Rugby strength and conditioning coach Ashley Jones talks about how you have so little time with players that you need to cut through the fluff and train what’s most important. And how to group players together by what they need to train most.

Softball coach talks about common mistakes that coaches make in the weight room.

3 Likes

Cheers brother, I’ll give those a listen

1 Like

1-3 Quads and Calves, Moderate Intensity

Get loose, alternating toe touches and hip airplanes

Goblet Squat, Pause in Hole
x 8 x 4 sets

Leg Extensions, 3 count eccentric
x 8 x 3 sets

Hatfield Squats, carefully executed
x 8 x 4 sets

Standing Calf Raises
x 10 strict, heels dead-stop on floor, then 10 regular x 3 sets

Donkey Calf
Wide feet for inner calf x 20ish
Narrow feet for outer calf x 20ish
3 sets each, alternating but resting in between

PreStretch Crunches x 10/8/8
Leg Raises off Bench, slow eccentric x 10/8/8
3 pairs, no rest

Solid workout. Hatfield squats went all the way up to 115! Holding the uprights made it easy to slow down and not twist. I’ll definitely do those again.

2 Likes

How’s the sleep pattern with the wee one mate

1 Like

Here’s one with the Master Blaster (coached medal winners in 22 different Olympic sports).

About 45 minutes in;
“Strength Training is like learning a foreign language, it must get more complex.” Poliquin says there are individual differences and some people might need less changes, but a good general rule is that 70% of athletes, you should change make changes every 4-6 weeks.

1 Like

We’re hanging in there! I usually wake up for a couple hours of daddy duty after mid-night. Then mom handles the pre dawn hours when I crash out. Happy Hours drinks have become 5:30 pm coffees, but we’re doing OK.

Things might get a little tougher when the woman returns to work but I’m sure we’ll figure something out.

2 Likes

1-5, Shoulders and Triceps, Volumen

Get loose, featuring bicep stretch

DB Rear Delt
x 12 x 3 sets

KB Seated Press, 1 Arm
x 12 x 4 sets

DB Side Raise
x 12, then couple Glass style elbows high/hands low, internally rotated raises, then a couple upright rows x 3 sets

Bamboo Bar Military Press
x 12 x 3 sets

Band Tomahawk x 20+
PJR Pullover x 12+
3 pairs

Band Overhead Extensions x 12+
Close Grip Bench, 3 count eccentric, pause off chest x 10+
3 pairs

Good workout. Single arm kettlebell presses really allowed me to get my arm up and back, way behind my head. Like physical therapy, full extension. Bamboo Bar overhead were cool too. The supersets were crushing my poor tris. Good work for the long heads today.

I’ve been pretty sore but the Hatfield squats from the other day didn’t kill me. That’s nice!

4 Likes