Clip of Someone Ramping Up

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I don’t get it. What if I’m only repping 95 on the shoulder press? Should I still be adding an extra plate per side after each set?[/quote]

This info is appropriate if you’re not joking with me.

If you’re only using 95 in the shoulder press, you’ve probably only been training under a year or are pretty weak for a lengthier experience. At that level of strength, you might even still get away with straight sets (eg, 3 x 8 x 95) and you don’t need much warming up at all (1 or 2 warmup sets). [/quote]

Just kidding, Brick. :wink:

Guys, so I’ve a serious question because I’m kind of confused, actaully. Place your shakes on the table so that you wont spill them :wink:

Dusty is ramping with a lot of reps, I don’t know if he is assited or not and if it matters at all. But doesn’t ramping with such high reps accumulates fatigue and reduces the load for the last set of the exercises?

I, also, understand that this is individual. Some people will experience better growth, grove etc from doing it “their” way. But let’s take benchpress for instance.

10 RM - 300 pounds, I’m going to work up to my 10 RM. I’m going to perform 4 “working” sets and few “feel-sets”. How do you go about your ramping here?

[quote]Quadforce wrote:
Guys, so I’ve a serious question because I’m kind of confused, actaully. Place your shakes on the table so that you wont spill them :wink:

Dusty is ramping with a lot of reps, I don’t know if he is assited or not and if it matters at all. But doesn’t ramping with such high reps accumulates fatigue and reduces the load for the last set of the exercises?

I, also, understand that this is individual. Some people will experience better growth, grove etc from doing it “their” way. But let’s take benchpress for instance.

10 RM - 300 pounds, I’m going to work up to my 10 RM. I’m going to perform 4 “working” sets and few “feel-sets”. How do you go about your ramping here?[/quote]

Warmup sets

“Working warmup” sets

Work set:
300 x 10

“Dusty is ramping with a lot of reps, I don’t know if he is assited or not and if it matters at all. But doesn’t ramping with such high reps accumulates fatigue and reduces the load for the last set of the exercises?”

Too much thinking going on here. Everyone has their own makeup, experience, and personal preference (and YES, this does matter - your belief in your training style).

And anyway, those higher rep sets provide volume and some of the training effect even though they’re not maximal.

I’m sorry I made the thread now that I think about it. Take care, and good luck to all.

Bricknyce, thanks for the resposne man.

What about rep-distribution during “warm-up-working-sets?”

I usually perform 3-5 reps on those or as much as I need to feel acustumed to the weight, but I’m guilty of overdoing working set in the past. I first ramp-up and then do one max set and few back off sets to failure. Several exercies of course.

[quote]Quadforce wrote:

[/quote]

I know Brick already touched on this, but you answered it yourself. “Some people will experience better growth from doing it ‘their’ way.”

Let’s say we’re working up to 405 on bench. I know both guys who would do,

1.) 135 x 20
2.) 185 x 15
3.) 225 x 10
4.) 315 x 6
5.) 405 x Whatever

and guys who would do,

1.) 95 x 15
2.) 135 x 10
3.) 225 x 6
4.) 275 x 4
5.) 335 x 2
6.) 405 x Whatever

Find what works FOR you.

When I hit triceps, I ramp using higher amounts of reps because it helps me feel the triceps better during my working set.

My chest fatigues quite easily though, so I do warm up sets with LESS reps so I can have as much energy as possible for the work set.

I was wondering about the rep distribution as well.

I know that people have said that these ramp or warm up sets contribute to growth directly as well. However, if you are using these sets just to prep the body for that last set and are not really pushing the envelope, then isn’t it more accurate to say that the last set is the one that is contributing to the majority of growth?

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

I know that people have said that these ramp or warm up sets contribute to growth directly as well. However, if you are using these sets just to prep the body for that last set and are not really pushing the envelope, then isn’t it more accurate to say that the last set is the one that is contributing to the majority of growth?
[/quote]

You know how people on this website overanalyze every detail about everything related to lifting?

…Well you’re doing it right now.

Less asking, more doing.

wow

I brought it up for the sake of discussion. Got advice from CC and Prof X and after a huge period on straight sets, I’ve converted to ramping and have already seen some major improvements.

I appreciate the concern though

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

[/quote]

You know how people on this website overanalyze every detail about everything related to lifting?

Less asking, more doing.[/quote]

damn i hope brick doesn’t actually leave. I ACTUALLY never even fuckin thought about it before I started reading about ramping whatever the word you wanna ues for it.

This is where I am actually confused…and I’m not a beginner I’m just wondering about something.

When I ramp squats, bench, dead…I usually will do between 3-6 heavy reps. So to start lets say squat workout I will go (depending on how hips, and oevrall how i feel) And I warmup you know 135x8, 205x3, 255x3, 295x3, 345x3, 385x1, 405x5, okay I feel good, 450x5.
Okay so thats done, I stop squatting then.

But if I want to do lunges or anything else…what do I do for reps? (this is hypothetical) 3x8 - first 2 sets are lighter (lets say DB LUNGE with back leg on bench) - 50x8, 60x8, 75x (target is 8 rep max) oh okay I only get 7…whoopdi-doo try next time - or do I just do straight sets.

OR if I am going for that target rep range of 8…is it better to warmup with 50x4, 60x5, oaky lets try 80x8 cause that was my target rep range?

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:
I brought it up for the sake of discussion. Got advice from CC and Prof X and after a huge period on straight sets, I’ve converted to ramping and have already seen some major improvements.

I appreciate the concern though

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

[/quote]

Less asking, more doing.[/quote]
[/quote]

Fair enough, didn’t realize it.

I just know in time’s past that when the subject of ramping comes up things get WAY TOO complicated way too quickly.

I agree. I look forward to training every single time because it presents an opportunity to learn more and more about my body.

Having that said, I’d still like to discuss what I mentioned earlier.

As I get stronger, its inevitable that I’ll have to add more ramp/warm up sets. I’m just wondering about these ramp up sets which directly impact growth. After some trial an error, I definitely like to start with moderately high reps and as increase weight, decrease the number of reps to avoid too much fatigue for my all out set.

Out of curiosity. For those of you who use the same number of reps or even higher during the ramp sets, don’t you feel fatigued before you reach that top set? I tried keeping the reps same up the top but found I couldn’t hit achieve the same reps/weight.

Sorry one more question…we covered lower body there…but what about benching…would it be better to ramp up for bench…I always went heavy on that too for a 3-8 rep max on that exercise…but same with squat I didn’t warmup with lots of reps and just went all out.

I’m just wondering…to sum it up better…is it better to use that rep range whatever it may be (3-8) heavy…and just to use some warm up sets that are ALSO in very low reps (3’s, no more than 5) and then go all out for 8…or if you wanna do 4 sets of 8…you would do just 50x8, 65x8, 80x8, 105x8** (max set)

Last thing I am a little confused is lets say in program MAX-OT it says
Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)

then it’ll say SQUATS 3 x 4-6 reps.

this means that you will use a weight that is
light enough to allow you to get at least 4 reps, but is also heavy enough to where you
cannot do any more than 6 reps. If you can’t do 4 reps, then the weight is too heavy.
If you can do more than 6 reps, then the weight is too light.

I’m very confused by this approach…how the hell am I gonna do 3 sets of a weight I can’t do more than 6, and I can get at least 4…that sounds a lot like a max effort…and I can’t do 3 sets of a max effort! lol

If I get 5 reps on squat with 450…I doubt I’m going to do 2 more sets like that…

This is where my confusion lies…please cure me someone lol

Rasturi,

I usually work up to a top set in front squats, which is usually over 4-5 sets.

After that, I follow it up with step ups (with dumbbells), usually do 1-2 “warm up” or ramp sets just to get the feel of the movement. From there, I grab a weight I think I can get for 4-5 reps and bang out as many as I can. I try to beat that record next time around. In short, I’m doing what professor X does. Pick a weight I can only get for about 3-4 reps and work on it until I get it for 10 reps, then bump the weight and start over. It worked beautifully for my bench and squat. Had to take a break though due to a crazy finals schedule

[quote]rasturai wrote:
damn i hope brick doesn’t actually leave. I ACTUALLY never even fuckin thought about it before I started reading about ramping whatever the word you wanna ues for it.

This is where I am actually confused…and I’m not a beginner I’m just wondering about something.

When I ramp squats, bench, dead…I usually will do between 3-6 heavy reps. So to start lets say squat workout I will go (depending on how hips, and oevrall how i feel) And I warmup you know 135x8, 205x3, 255x3, 295x3, 345x3, 385x1, 405x5, okay I feel good, 450x5.
Okay so thats done, I stop squatting then.

But if I want to do lunges or anything else…what do I do for reps? (this is hypothetical) 3x8 - first 2 sets are lighter (lets say DB LUNGE with back leg on bench) - 50x8, 60x8, 75x (target is 8 rep max) oh okay I only get 7…whoopdi-doo try next time - or do I just do straight sets.

OR if I am going for that target rep range of 8…is it better to warmup with 50x4, 60x5, oaky lets try 80x8 cause that was my target rep range?[/quote]

When I look at this proposed “workout” I see basically a “squat day” with some assistance work. If my analysis is wrong, feel free to correct me rasturai. Back on topic, with assistance work it’s your call on whether to ramp the weight or do straight sets. It would probably depend on what you are trying to accomplish- gaining work capacity, training a new movement pattern or trying to work up to a heavy top set to beat the log book.

I do a 5/3/1 hybrid and use straight sets for things like assistance on squat days where I use 55% of my training max for 5x10. I do this because, in my mind, I need to work on perfecting my squat as well as conditioning. With other movements, say barbell curls, you’d probably want to ramp up to a heavy top set because that will allow for the maximum stimulation of your target muscle group.

So basically it has more to do with your goal for that movement imo.

Im not really leaving (LOL!). I think you guys know by now I get moody in some cases. But I’m back to my chipper self because I just had a good workout and I’m well fed at the moment.

I’ve had some questions here. Understand that what I write is what I PERSONALLY do and what I see as logical and how I interpret strength training information (articles, books, seminars, videos, podcasts, whatever the heck else media is out there now).

Before I go on, please–PLEASE!–refer to CT’s old article titled Locked and Loaded in which he discusses the flat pyramid (ramping up) in one small chart and a few paragraphs.

I do sets as is written in strength training articles. I write my own programs, but you know what I mean. So if I have to do an exercise for 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps, that’s what I do - keep all the reps constant. I’ve gone over examples dozens of times, but here it is again. If I have to use 225 on the last set of a 3 x 10 scheme, my 3 sets look like this because I ramp up with 10% of the last set.

185 x 10 (can be considered a working warmup set)
205 x 10 (can be considered a working warmup set)
225 x 10 (to failure or near failure)

Everything else before this are considered warmup sets. My warmup sets for this look like this:
95 x 15
135 x 12
165 x 10

I don’t follow a bodypart split anymore, but if I moved onto a new exercise for the same bodypart there would be 1 or no more warmup sets, only “working warmup”/rampup sets.

Brick, dude, being moody is my thing.

we can’t both have emotional problems!