T Nation

Client with a Messed up Knee

My client tells me that he has a torn miniscus in his knee, and is very fragile. Any ideas on hope to train around/ with an injury such as this?

Depends on the how it effects him.
I have some clients that can get away with doing more than others.

I find it really comes down to trial and error and of course playing it safe when in doubt.

Does the knee lock up on them?

Yeah apparently he can only do half rotations on a stationary bike back & forth. Thanks for your help.

Isn’t this why YOU’RE their PT?

Edit: Sorry to come across as a dick, I just equate this with the douchebags who post in the GAL forum asking for people to do their homework.

Try to keep it simple. BW Squats to a depth he can tolerate (we squat everyday), maybe some kind of step-up, again with a ROM that he can work with, so it might not be that high.

How is his balance? Something like a single leg RDL could help with the posterior chain, or just a regular 2 leg version.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Isn’t this why YOU’RE their PT?

Edit: Sorry to come across as a dick, I just equate this with the douchebags who post in the GAL forum asking for people to do their homework.[/quote]

I would hope that the OP would have someone at his gym that he could go to in a time like this, but maybe he doesn’t have access to someone.

Better to ask than to just blindly give the client exercises.

Thanks, thats sort of what i had figured. Appreciate the help Jehovas

was it a recent injury?
Isn’t it protocol for that guy to get a clearance to continue training?
You wouldn’t want to be held liable for anything!!
He probably needs to be sent to physical therapy while he’s at it. You can then talk to the therapist for ideas to help in the gym as well. :slight_smile:

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
was it a recent injury?
He probably needs to be sent to physical therapy while he’s at it. You can then talk to the therapist for ideas to help in the gym as well. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I would hope at this point, all your points above have taken place.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
was it a recent injury?

I would hope at this point, all your points above have taken place.[/quote]

It would be a great tragedy if they had not.

Any how I was talking to a coach who worked with a former athlete who had the same issue and they worked mostly with leg lifts that had no or very little knee flexion/extension.

There were a lot of GHR, RDL, lunge, step up, SLDL, GM, and then mostly rehab/mobility work. All the guy wanted was to stay in shape so there was no emphasis on making the knee get back to potential again.

Is the client on the really great drugs for healing the meniscus? the ones I’ve seen people on are great for recovery from training. Good time to gain some muscle when you get the Rx for the drugs.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:

Is the client on the really great drugs for healing the meniscus? the ones I’ve seen people on are great for recovery from training. Good time to gain some muscle when you get the Rx for the drugs.

-chris[/quote]

Probably some bad wording, but AFAIK, there are no drugs that will really help much if at all with healing of a torn meniscus. Maybe, masking the pain.

Due to the poor blood supply to the area, it’s hard for the body to heal that area.

Yes all those points have been taken care of, i am going to talk to the physical therapist, he gave me the information that she gave him, i now have much more to play off of, and we basically just did BW work to see were he was at today.

its going fine, thanks for all the input. i was thinking about doing some of those exercises you just listed, because the knee flexing of the knee joint is minimal.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

Probably some bad wording, but AFAIK, there are no drugs that will really help much if at all with healing of a torn meniscus. Maybe, masking the pain.

Due to the poor blood supply to the area, it’s hard for the body to heal that area.[/quote]

Yeah I suppose I was looking at the recovery steriodals for am MCL rehabilitation. Different from meniscus for sure but I’m sure that a bobsledder on my training buddies team [the farm team] was getting some steroidal help with his meniscus specifically.

He was worried about it because of drug testing. So they reminded him that he wasn’t yet under the random drug testing until 2010 [this was back in early '08] and even then he had to make the big boys team. Funny guy, god athlete, dumber than a pile of boots.

-chris