T Nation

Cleans

I am having an issue with my shoulder flexibility while doing cleans. It is my understanding that your forearms should be parallel to the ground while in the racked position. But mine are perpendicular. Any ideas on stretches or exercises to alleviate this problem.

Thanks,
KraigY

read my log and read todays entry and see the bicep tendon rehab plan..this is basically a shoulder rotator felexibility plan that works wonders...give it a try for a few weeks....big m

Most people use too wide of a grip, so try moving in a bit.

I find Front Squats a great warm-up prior to Cleans. Make sure that you're griping the bar in the same position as your Clean grip.

Another thing you could do if you have a training partner is to have him/her gently squeeze your elbows up and back, while you hold the bar in a racked position.

Most people use too wide of a grip, so try moving in a bit.

I find Front Squats a great warm-up prior to Cleans. Make sure that you're griping the bar in the same position as your Clean grip.

Another thing you could do if you have a training partner is to have him/her gently squeeze your elbows up and back, while you hold the bar in a racked position.

There are a number of possibilities here. Is there someone (who knows what they're doing) in your gym that could observe and evaluate your form? That may be your best option as it is difficult to assess without seeing things in motion.
Please let us know when you get it figured out. The clean is one of my favorites!

As simple as this is going to sound...take some time before each session to work on you forearm flexibility. Why do I say this? If you have good flexibility in the forearms...the catch phase of the clean is much easier on you shoulders since you can allow a slight loosening of your grip on the bar while still keeping it under control.

i was a college football player and i had the same problem.

starting with lighter weight and making your body be in the right positions worked well for me.
cleans are difficult for a lot of people to master so it takes time, so be patient. good luck

Thanks for the replies. I think it is mainly a range of motion / flexibility issue. I am going to try putting a bar in my rack with 400lbs loaded on it in about the same height as the bar would be in a racked position and try to stretch into the proper position. I was thinking 10x30sec each day. Any thoughts?

The static stretches will work well, but why not get a two for one and hold the rack while Front Squating?

That doesn't work, you need to stretch the shoudlers - shoulder dislocates with a wooden staff

lats - chin bar etc , and tyry and pull the arms back ebhind the head

wrists of course and triceps

plus your cuffs as well, stick fist/hand into your waist and pull the elbow forward with your other arm.

also when doing militry presses, stick ythe bar on your chesta nd push the elbows up a bit for a bit of force stretching.

tuck your chin in and pull your shoulder back and down, hold for 10secs at a time, do these several times a day

back off the bicep work :slight_smile:

doing all these helped me immensely, no problems now

CoolColJ-

Can you describe this:
shoulder dislocates with a wooden staff.

You can use a wooden dowel, a towel, or even a jumpstretch band.

Grab dowel in front with a snatch grip (most people have to start quite wide)

Bring dowel overhead in a front raise like arc

Continue the arc until the dowel is behind the back

Reverse movement

biggest prob i see is that people try to hold on to the bar in the rack, like grip the shit out of it. It should be sitting on your tips of you fingers not in the palm of your hand.if you have a good rack position you dont need your hands there for it to sit. it will rest on your clavicle held there by the groove in you delts.
This doesnt mean i recommend letting go of the bar you may have trouble un-racking!! hehe :wink:

I find if I rack with an open palm, I need to get the bar higher to get over my wrists, and that means the bar crashes down on me, not good.
So I hold onto the bar now. At least until i rack it, but I let it go when I drop into the fullsquat position or a shallow dip and then jerk the bar off my shoudlers slighty when I lockout out and regrab it before jerking it overhead.

Its funny that with just the bar, when I rack it won't touch my chest/shoulders when holding the bar in the rack, but once I'm warmed up and put one some weight, the sheer load compresses the bar down to the body. It feels good, no pain, or crashing etc. Nice and comfy, I can stand there for while with the load there.

And one thing I like about holding onto the bar, blacking out is a thing of the past. When I used to rack with an open plam, I would black out, makes it hard to jerk!

Look at your hips. You might have tight hip flexors and hams, which will give you a pelvic tilt and pull you forward. Also, like stated above, make sure that you have enough shoulder flexibility to pull your shoulders forward (to rack the bar on them) and to get your elbows high. Work on overhead squats and that should help, plus strething your lats, chest, anterior delt, hip flexors, hams, and low back. Strengthen your low back, glutes, posterior delts, abs, mid back/trap, and external rotation to keep you pulled into the correct position.

I find that with most clients, once I get their hips and shoulder girdle nice and stretched they don't have a problem getting into the position with a broom dowel. Then I strengthen all the key points so we can start adding weight.