T Nation

Cleans with Sharp Knurling

anyone do this? i did this today and i fucked myself over, flayed off a chunk of skin on the middle section of my middle finger. what should i do?!?! >:O

Two options:

1. Use a different bar
  2. Stop being a pussy

Maybe a combo of the two would work well for you.

both options kind of suck.
no other bar around, and kind of cannot squeeze the bar hard on other lifts with an open wound on my hand exposed to sharp bits of iron that has begun to rust 0.0

Rub some chalk on it and follow option two. If you don’t have chalk, order some and see option two. If that doesn’t help, refer to option two.

jk, sounds like you might have a burr on your bar. Find it and file it down.

1.Get some super glue and glue the wound shut.
2.Get some chalk put it on your hands and the bar.
3.Cry a like a girl.
4. ?
5. Profit.

Have you tried getting some sport tape and putting it around the bar?

I’d say put it on your fingers but that restricts movement.

never heard of sports tape, but i guess it has the same problem as workout gloves do-increases bar distance.
i forgot how aggressive this knurling was (different gym); i’ll see what chalk does next time.

does anyone know abotu supergluing wounds shut? i have skin dangling off of it and it is a flaying kind of wound.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
does anyone know abotu supergluing wounds shut? i have skin dangling off of it and it is a flaying kind of wound.[/quote]

cut the dangling portion off and then apply the glue over the exposed wound. It will probably sting, but most super glue is nontoxic. OR you can get some ‘New Skin’ which is the same thing. The glue is used because it prevents the wound from opening up under the stress of lifting.

I’d go with the nu-skin/superglue option and then tape it.

I would not tape the bar, in the future I’d consider taping your hotspots and chalk/liquid chalk.

I saw ed coan rip a chunk of skin off the palm of his hand while deadlifting 700+ lbs. The blood dripped down his arm and he smiled…he rubbed a bunch of chaulk on it and loaded more weight on the bar. and went back to work.

…get back to work.

Shave your calluses regularly in the shower with a pumice stone and you’ll reduce them (in size and number) and prevent them from tearing.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
2. Stop being a pussy
[/quote]

So you’re so hardcore that even ripping your skin up on every clean couldn’t stop you? Bullshit.

Get another bar, or file this one down.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
gone heavy wrote:
2. Stop being a pussy

So you’re so hardcore that even ripping your skin up on every clean couldn’t stop you? Bullshit.

Get another bar, or file this one down.[/quote]

Actually, yes. When I first started my skin was torn to shreds from deadlifting and cleans. My hands have gotten used to it and it doesn’t happen unless, as stated above I let my calluses get to big and I go for a heavy dead.

this wasn’t a callous. my callouses are smooth and nearly flat, they’re nice to touch. like my balls.

i taped this up and neosporined. hopefully it will heal soon. my gym is pretty dirty, no need to get tetanus from stupidity.

jk.

I like to take a multi step approach. After tearing of the skin I like to apply alcohol to it every two hours or so. I think that this speads healing - although I could be wrong. Before going to bed the first night I apply a loose bandage basic band-aid and neosporin.

The next day I may do the same with alcohol if time permits. If not then there are 1. breathable bandaids that really stick to the skin or 2. Nu-Skin. Before lifting I use Nu-Skin. After drying and before lifting chalk it up really nice. I use a fingernail clipper to trim my callouses. Seems to work well. Good Lifting

[quote]kickureface wrote:
this wasn’t a callous. my callouses are smooth and nearly flat, they’re nice to touch. like my balls.

i taped this up and neosporined. hopefully it will heal soon. my gym is pretty dirty, no need to get tetanus from stupidity.

jk.[/quote]

Don’t use neosporine. It slows the healing time down.

Get some nu skin and tape it up.

My coach has told us that benzoin can be used to toughen up the skin in your hands, does anyone have any experience with this? I am not even sure if this is the correct name for the liquid. It smells like pine and is sticky tar like shit which stains your skin brown…

why does it slow down healing? damn thing online read that it heals faster0.0

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
Two options:

1. Use a different bar
  2. Stop being a pussy

Maybe a combo of the two would work well for you.[/quote]

I laughed out loud.

I was going to say something similar.

Oh and real men trim and wet sand their caluases with a knife, water, and sandpaper.

Maintain your hands and you will not rip them, I haven’t ripped mine in over a year and I regularly dead with 455+ strapless

pumice stone my ass.