T Nation

Cleans & Sprints After a Game?

hey guys I had a recent post about training for hockey and I have a new question that stems from that. I have a hockey training book that says alot of nhl players after games go and do sprints on a bike. Which i can totally understand but then after the two they do cleans and some other stuff. Now how do you all feel about doing cleans after a game and sprints on a bike? I dont now too much about oly lifts but I do now there ver taxing so how safe could that be. He says its good because your body is already warmed up.

I don’t play hockey, but I can assume it’s as tiring, if not more, than a football game, and I see no practical reason to run or do anything but rest after a game. Just me though.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
I don’t play hockey, but I can assume it’s as tiring, if not more, than a football game, and I see no practical reason to run or do anything but rest after a game. Just me though.[/quote]

well the biking is so you can train your anaerobic system. its bascially trains your condioning but the o lift im not so sure

anyone else?

Power cleans to train for power and explosiveness? I know about the bike since they’re always on it when they’re being interviewed but I’ve never heard of the cleans.

Could be a time issue as well. Some guys don’t get that much ice-time and they don’t have a ton of spare time, so maybe they try to fit some training in after games? I’m just spitballing here, but don’t take my response as support for the concept in general.

I thought this read “Cleans and spirits after a game”.

Now that would be hardcore.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
I thought this read “Cleans and spirits after a game”.

Now that would be hardcore.[/quote]

lol

I just dont know how safe it is. maybe I should try and find out

I think it would be okay to do. I would not encourage maximal lifts but I could see it as a tool to rid the body of lactic acid.

As far back as high school, we ran sprints after preseason games. It didn’t matter if we were at home or away. We would line up on the sidelines and run 53 yard sprints no matter how many minutes you played in the game.

It think alot of it develops mental toughness and as long as you aren’t going over 70% of max 1 rm I would say you would only be helping yourself.

Then again I don’t know about that being done after every game. I think it should only be done towards the beginning of the season or after a bye weekk.

Just my opinion.