T Nation

Cleans or Deadlifts for Strong Lower Back?

I have done dead lifts for around a year and have managed to pull 315 for reps. My form has recently been going to shit though when I try to add weight, and I have been plateaued at 315 for months. I have recently picked up the power clean and I love it.

Could I replace dead lifts with power cleans to strengthen and thicken my back? Maybe do 70% deadlifts and power cleans? Any suggestions would help. I’m 6’3" 190 (not trying to gain weight) 11%bf.

Power cleans do not directly target the back besides the portion of the deadlift movement you use in the upward movement, the weight you will be “deadlifting” while in the powerclean position will not be optimal because you will not be working at your maximum capability in terms of the load of weight you could use in standard deadlifts, thus making the lower back work performed by power cleaning for building a strong lower back insufficient.

Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!

Barrell,
Do more squats, fewer deads. If you are doing cleans and Squats or Box squats, your deadlift will take care of itself.

I guess it would depend on what you weak point is

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:
Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!
[/quote]

This is bullshit. your height and weight are not necessarily the factor. Lots of guys with the same stats have much bigger deadlifts. It’s impossible to know what you need without knowing anything else about your training or where you are failing in the deadlift. You could need more work at the top end or more work at the bottom. You might be weak in the hamstrings/glutes, or in the back or maybe even in your grip. rows, pullups, GHR, good mornings, RDL, grip work, could all help you increase your dealift. Hell, you may be weak in your core and you may need more ab work, ab wheel, weighted sit ups, side bends are all good.

your original post is a bit incomplete. also, power cleans are good for you anyway. do them.

[quote]kalani2226 wrote:

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:
Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!
[/quote]

This is bullshit. your height and weight are not necessarily the factor. Lots of guys with the same stats have much bigger deadlifts. It’s impossible to know what you need without knowing anything else about your training or where you are failing in the deadlift. You could need more work at the top end or more work at the bottom. You might be weak in the hamstrings/glutes, or in the back or maybe even in your grip. rows, pullups, GHR, good mornings, RDL, grip work, could all help you increase your dealift. Hell, you may be weak in your core and you may need more ab work, ab wheel, weighted sit ups, side bends are all good.

your original post is a bit incomplete. also, power cleans are good for you anyway. do them.[/quote]It’s not bullshit. I understand that their are people that exist, that are extremely strong and skinny (and if you’re denying 6’3/190lbs isn’t skinny just forget about it, there’s no point). And sure, he might have weak areas and other issues that need specific attention. However, I’ve got a real big hunch if our skinny friend became not skinny, I bet he wouldn’t have to be puzzled by the “inexplicable” cause of his profound weakness,

I’ve never seen anyone gain 200lbs on their deadlift, by implementing a magic auxiliary exercise. They have their place, dont get me wrong, and can be useful, especially for mid-intermidiate-advance lifters. But this guy’s deadlift is 315. Gaining weight is a part of the progression of strength, I’m sorry this is the way the universe works. I hope this is “complete” enough for you.

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:

[quote]kalani2226 wrote:

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:
Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!
[/quote]

This is bullshit. your height and weight are not necessarily the factor. Lots of guys with the same stats have much bigger deadlifts. It’s impossible to know what you need without knowing anything else about your training or where you are failing in the deadlift. You could need more work at the top end or more work at the bottom. You might be weak in the hamstrings/glutes, or in the back or maybe even in your grip. rows, pullups, GHR, good mornings, RDL, grip work, could all help you increase your dealift. Hell, you may be weak in your core and you may need more ab work, ab wheel, weighted sit ups, side bends are all good.

your original post is a bit incomplete. also, power cleans are good for you anyway. do them.[/quote]It’s not bullshit. I understand that their are people that exist, that are extremely strong and skinny (and if you’re denying 6’3/190lbs isn’t skinny just forget about it, there’s no point). And sure, he might have weak areas and other issues that need specific attention. However, I’ve got a real big hunch if our skinny friend became not skinny, I bet he wouldn’t have to be puzzled by the “inexplicable” cause of his profound weakness,

I’ve never seen anyone gain 200lbs on their deadlift, by implementing a magic auxiliary exercise. They have their place, dont get me wrong, and can be useful, especially for mid-intermidiate-advance lifters. But this guy’s deadlift is 315. Gaining weight is a part of the progression of strength, I’m sorry this is the way the universe works. I hope this is “complete” enough for you.
[/quote]

It was his OP that was incomplete, yours is wrong based on the absolute way that you stated the answer. The cliche tnation answer is eat more and shut up but it’s not true 315 is a small dl and he can just keep lifting and add a bit of aux work and get stronger.

Gaining weight is not the clear answer. there is a lot more to factor than his height, weight and the lbs lifted. Time lifting, aux work, bf% all matter and without that there is no answer for OP.

The reason I disagree with your response is that it is a blanket statement i.e., if your 6 foot 190 and your deadlift is stalled at 315, just eat and problem solved.

OP needs to accurately assess his lifting and report back.

Clean, then deadlift. Also front squat and do good mornings.

He said it was “315 for reps”. Not stalled at 315 1rm.

Could I replace dead lifts with power cleans to strengthen and thicken my back?

If your interested in a stronger back, drop the power cleans for full cleans. Power cleans are for warm-up, then you put on a weight you can’t possibly power clean and you full clean that mother. Pull like hell and dive the funder it. Now your workin your back. And practically every other muscle in your body in one lift.
Throw in a power squat jerk at the end and it time to go home.

LB

From my experience doing both works.

Do deadlifts and then power cleans. Also, I have found that doing backoff sets really help. Work up to 1RM and then drop down and do some volume with slightly lower weights but still decently heavy.

For example, I would do 315 for reps, and then drop down to 250 and then try to get 8 reps of it.

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:
Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!
[/quote]

Guys like you make me laugh.

190lbs and 6’3" doesn’t mean weak or skinny. It means they’re lean, not big, but not skinny either now GTFO with those retarded comments.

It could be a number of things to do with grip. I know for sure that its not lifting the weight its holding onto it.

If the OP is doing double overhand style deadlifts (which I do) then its slower to build a big deadlift and you can hit trouble spots.

If he is doing an over/under style then maybe his under arm is over stretched and causing imbalances in his lower and upper body? It is a known problem when doing mixed grip.

Before spouting off about how fucking awesome you may be, (doubt it) consider useful advice as to why he is stalling at a weight he should easily be doing at his weight.

None of this “eat more bro” BS. If thats the case then I dont think you udnerstand the weightlifting forum. Weight class restrictions apply so eating more doesn’t get you where you want to be all the time.

I understand deadlifting 315 pounds for reps is somewhat weak for a healthy adult male who has made lifting for strength or muscle gain a serious priority for any length of time. But “profound” weakness? Do you know anybody who collects Disability because his deadlift is only 315 pounds for reps?

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]Alexkennedy3000 wrote:
Your deadlift has plateaued at such a LOW number because your well over 6 feet and weigh 190. That is the reason. Power cleans are not going to help you. But dude seriously, who cares?! I mean at your height/weight I bet you have like “mega hawt abz”! Right Bro?!!!
[/quote]

Guys like you make me laugh.

190lbs and 6’3" doesn’t mean weak or skinny. It means they’re lean, not big, but not skinny either now GTFO with those retarded comments.

It could be a number of things to do with grip. I know for sure that its not lifting the weight its holding onto it.

If the OP is doing double overhand style deadlifts (which I do) then its slower to build a big deadlift and you can hit trouble spots.

If he is doing an over/under style then maybe his under arm is over stretched and causing imbalances in his lower and upper body? It is a known problem when doing mixed grip.

Before spouting off about how fucking awesome you may be, (doubt it) consider useful advice as to why he is stalling at a weight he should easily be doing at his weight.

None of this “eat more bro” BS. If thats the case then I dont think you udnerstand the weightlifting forum. Weight class restrictions apply so eating more doesn’t get you where you want to be all the time.[/quote]

Try to convince yourself otherwise, but 6’3" 190 is skinny as shit–especially for a weightlifting forum. That being said, the deadlift does not depend on bodyweight as much as other “big lifts” like the squat. i.e. If you put on 30 pounds, you’re squat will almost definitely go up, but your deadlift will not necessarily increase as much or at all.

At the OP: You sound like you’re trying to give yourself an excuse to stop deadlifting because you don’t want to gain weight and your deadlift has stopped. Why force yourself to choose between cleans or deads? Do both.

Your deadlift has stopped because you’re small and weak. Stop making excuses for why you can’t deadlift more, and start addressing the issue. Eat more, sleep more, and lift bigger weights. When you want to get stronger more than you want to stay at your “lean” 6’3" 190#, you will succeed.

TL;DR: I don’t mean to be a dick, but it sounds like what you need right now is tough love. Stop being a little bitch and go deadlift.

[quote]StructureInChaos wrote:
Do deadlifts and then power cleans. .[/quote]

I have to bluntly disagree with this.
Do power movements first.
It makes heavy deadlifts feel noticably easier,
thus its more productive and useful.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

Before spouting off about how fucking awesome you may be, (doubt it)
.[/quote]

HaHa.
Owned.

[quote]Field wrote:

[quote]StructureInChaos wrote:
Do deadlifts and then power cleans. .[/quote]

I have to bluntly disagree with this.
Do power movements first.
It makes heavy deadlifts feel noticably easier,
thus its more productive and useful.[/quote]

I would tend to agree. I would not, however, suggest doing a high volume of cleans before you do deads. If you do a 5x5 of heavy cleans before deads, you’re not going to have anything left in the tank. Do 5 doubles of triples, and you’ll probably feel just as or more energetic come time to deadlift.