Cleans for PL?

I think also since you pull sumo, cleans would not be a good option. This is all based on whats best to improve your deadlift. I just think there are better ways to improve your deadlift than using olympic lifts.

That being said, if you want to become strong and explosive, by all means do cleans and deadlifts. 2 of the best exercises you can do really.

My earlier post were just related to being more specific for increasing the deadlift.

I am currently trying to reconcile the demanding frequency of the OLs with the intensity/recovery requirements of PL. In my firm opinion, the OLs are best trained with great frequency (as in each and every time one trains) but the lumbar and shoulder musculature receive such a beating as to prevent optimal effort in necessary PL maximal strength lifts such as bp, dl, or sq.

I also find that ME lower days consisting of max DLs or GMs prevent me from walking without a lower back pump for days, let alone being able to pull/OL properly for at least a week. I’ve seen Travis Mash’s take on Westside for pure OL, and Westside for strongmen (some integration of the OLs), but what of ‘Westside-like training for PLs who OL’?

I hope to hear of any tips, tricks, and/or techniques from those who have walked this path before that allows the Big 3 AND the OLs to increase while cohabitating peacefully in my training log.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I don’t really do any speed deadlifts but maybe I will try that.

What about deadlifts starting from a deficit(standing on plates, etc.) Has anyone had success with these?

[quote]saavedra wrote:
Thanks for all the responses so far. I don’t really do any speed deadlifts but maybe I will try that.

What about deadlifts starting from a deficit(standing on plates, etc.) Has anyone had success with these?[/quote]

Just about all the most famous deadlifters have pulled standing on 2-4" raised surfaces.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
vision1 wrote:
There’s no upright row involved

more like:

Deadlift
explosive calf raise + shrug
catch
Front squat

I can see that, but I can also see an explosive uprightrow with a calf raise :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you’re right. According to diagrams of the exercise it appears to be more of an upright row when executed properly.
[/quote]

[quote]saavedra wrote:

What about deadlifts starting from a deficit(standing on plates, etc.) Has anyone had success with these?[/quote]

I’ve had some good success w/ SLDL’s.

Guys, it’s not an upright row, not even close. Your arms do not pull the weight in a clean.

read up on this mirror of JV Askem

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/ARTOL.htm

Learn to clean properly.

I just read over in finland the powerlifters are doing stiff legged cleans. Sounds interesting.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
I think you’re right. According to diagrams of the exercise it appears to be more of an upright row when executed properly.
[/quote]

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic on this one…

Far from an upright row; how does one upright row 581 lbs???

[quote]Jesse Snadden wrote:
saavedra wrote:

What about deadlifts starting from a deficit(standing on plates, etc.) Has anyone had success with these?

Just about all the most famous deadlifters have pulled standing on 2-4" raised surfaces. [/quote]

I know of a few lifters who deads actually went DOWN after pulling off a raised platform. But from watching these lifters pull I think it was because they were already strong off the floor and the platform just screwed their form up.

I’ve used them before for a few weeks and found them to help. Took a couple of weeks for my pulls to get back to normal tho form wise.

[quote]saavedra wrote:
Does anyone do cleans as an assistance for deadlifts? What type of reps do you use? I use sumo if it makes a difference.[/quote]

That’s interesting. I always considered deadlifts an assistance lift for the clean and jerk
jsal33

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
I am currently trying to reconcile the demanding frequency of the OLs with the intensity/recovery requirements of PL. In my firm opinion, the OLs are best trained with great frequency (as in each and every time one trains) but the lumbar and shoulder musculature receive such a beating as to prevent optimal effort in necessary PL maximal strength lifts such as bp, dl, or sq.

I also find that ME lower days consisting of max DLs or GMs prevent me from walking without a lower back pump for days, let alone being able to pull/OL properly for at least a week. I’ve seen Travis Mash’s take on Westside for pure OL, and Westside for strongmen (some integration of the OLs), but what of ‘Westside-like training for PLs who OL’?

I hope to hear of any tips, tricks, and/or techniques from those who have walked this path before that allows the Big 3 AND the OLs to increase while cohabitating peacefully in my training log.
[/quote]

Westside, is a place and a mind set. Not a template, just so you know.

The snatch-grip deadlift is assistence work for the clean and jerk. On a similar vein, I can’t see why power cleans wouldn’t assist you with deads off the floor. Olympic lifter have some pretty sexy deadlift numbers and they don’t deadlift near as much as they power clean or clean and jerk.