Cleans and SVR II

Hi,

I’m trying the SVR II-progression with presses and the deadlift. I got minor strain in my right quad, so squatting is done using 5’s PRO and some FSL work.

My template is going to be something like this:

MON
Hang clean
Front squat
Ab work

TUE
Throws
Bench
Rows

WEN REST

THU
Jumps
DL
Press
Chins

FRI Some kettlebell conditioning done with my friends. This day is not supposed to kill me, just get some quality conditioning in while having fun.

Weekend - light conditioning for recovery.

The question is - how you would use the idea of SVR with cleans? I’m using them as strength movement and aiming to go heavy on these also.

We just use 5 or 3’s PRO with cleans - usually, anyway. How you set the rep scheme depends on where you are in your 5 cycle program. We generally don’t do SVR with cleans.

I’ve normally used 3’s PRO with cleans, although I did Rule of ten for last two cycles.

I’m redoing my 4th cycle (and then doing 5th with SVR also), because my last cycle was fucked up by sickness and quad strain. Actually my TM is even lower with front squats right now.

I think I’ll use 3’s PRO with heavy, light, heavy order. Something like this:
3’s pro + TM for 1-3 reps + 3xSSL
3’s pro + 3-5x3 FSL
3’s pro + jokers (optional)

I have life-forced deload after the first cycle of SVR, so I think I can push the jokers on the last week.

Thank you for the answer.

[quote]Rattus wrote:
I’ve normally used 3’s PRO with cleans, although I did Rule of ten for last two cycles.

I’m redoing my 4th cycle (and then doing 5th with SVR also), because my last cycle was fucked up by sickness and quad strain. Actually my TM is even lower with front squats right now.

I think I’ll use 3’s PRO with heavy, light, heavy order. Something like this:
3’s pro + TM for 1-3 reps + 3xSSL
3’s pro + 3-5x3 FSL
3’s pro + jokers (optional)

I have life-forced deload after the first cycle of SVR, so I think I can push the jokers on the last week.

Thank you for the answer.[/quote]

I’m interested in how this pans out

I can give some report after these two cycles. I have no doubts on SVR, but it is always a risk to blend things “randomly” like this. ’

PS. I have not ever maxed out hang cleans (or any cleans) before, I have used them only some months and can be still counted as a novice in the movement. So the gains will still come quite easy.

My first cycle is soon finished. I used little different template because it fits my schedule, I also believe it is superior to the one I posted here prior:

Monday
Hang clean - progression I wrote above
Squat rehab - 5’s pro with super low TM + some lunges and ab work
conditioning - walking and running hills.

Wednesday
Bench SVR II
DB rows
conditioning for recovery - just a short (1-3km) walk.

Friday
Deadlift SVR II
Press SVR II
chins
conditioning - walking and running hills.

I did hit PR’s in every movement (not incl. squat) in this week. SVR II is great progression model, it is very well planned and fun to do. The progression I used for cleans seems to be working also. I’m quite sure I’ll hit PR’s in next cycle also.

Some notes:

• I must be smart with the conditioning. In the first week I pushed it too much and was quite beat up when I started the second week. Luckily it was the easy one.

• As the FSL/SSL work I did 5x5/3x5 for the presses and 3x5/3x3 for the deadlift. If I would use this for squats I would probably do the 3x5/3x3 for it too.

• I don’t know would I do this template with the squat being in its level. Heavy cleaning, deadlifting and running is already enough stress.

Good stuff. Looking to give this one a go in the near future. Good call on dropping the squat TM. Were you ball-parking 80% of theoretical max?

I used about 85-90% with all the other movements (my TM PR sets were between 3-5 reps), but wayyyy under 80% with the squat.

This is mainly because I’ve tried to fix my issues while squatting heavy. Surprisingly this does not work. Heavy squatting maintains the issue, or even makes it worse. I tried front squatting for a while, but it was a dead end also.

Now I’m building everything out of scratch. I ditched my old squat numbers and treat myself as a beginner in the movement. I have squatted 400 ish last spring, but my TM is now just little above 200. I’m doing slow controlled reps with a perfect form. I’m not going to grind a single squat for months. Just trying to get my fucked up left leg to function normally.