T Nation

Cleaning Water Bottles

I saw an expose on water bottles. I used to keep a 1 gallon water bottle (from walmart) and drink from it everyday. I’d wash it several times a week, with hot water and soap. But apparently that is not good enugh as deadly bacteria can still accumulate. They did tests on different situations and leaving a bottle out and not washing it for a couple days can accumulate sometimes toxic levels of bacteria. Only when they washed it in the dishwasher were the levels acceptable.

Just curious if anyone uses a gallon bottle or how do you clean them? I have since just get a gallon of water from the store and refill it once.

I guess this applies to protein shakers as well. On days i workout in the mornings, i sometimes dont empty my gymbag and wash/clean my protein shaker until 24 hours later. I guess i need to start putting them in the dishwasher as well.

This study might just have been funded by the bottled water makers to increase new bottle sales :slight_smile:

I just keep a rotation of shaker cups and Nalgene water bottles, I wash them in the Dishwasher every few days. I have heard of the bacteria problem also!

The local news did the expose on bottled water. I had that gallon jug(hard plastic) for about 3 months. It smelled if I forgot to clean it. Sometimes ignorance isn’t bliss.lol

There was a guy at my work whose bottle had a green tint at the bottom and all he was drinking in it was water, but guess what he’s still kicking. Some people use the same bottle for months so they should be dead according to theses exposes. The whole deadly bacteria thing is overhyped in my opinion !! It seams that every clean freak or obsessed health nut I know is always sick, so I’ll stick to my old ways.

YGuy

Oh shit! I should’ve died a long time ago! I rarely clean my water bottles. I rarely do more than rinse out my protein shaker with hot water. I dont think I have cleaned my coffee mug for six months! Still kickin too!

I agree totally that crap like that is way overhyped. You can also get brain cancer from cell phones, cancer from living next to power lines, etc…there’s tons of this shit…You can always find something to worry about if you look hard enough. I wonder how people stayed alive before all the technology telling us we’re going to die from everything?

I have a water bottle at work that I’ve used since 1997. I washed it maybe three times with soap and hot water since then. I drink from it every day and just do a quick rinse before filling it back up.

I also just rinse my protein shaker (unless something is really stuck to the shaker or I couldn’t rinse it soon after using) and then reuse it.

In addition, I have a one-gallon jug in the fridge that I just keep refilling and using as necessary, not to mention the smaller 16oz bottles of water I refill.

I am probably infested with so much bacteria that now I’m immune to it! LOL!

It’s just like how everything is antibacterial now. If you use that kind of stuff all the time, the body or bacteria will adjust and it no longer works as intended.

Oh yeah, don’t forget all the estrogen from using plastic in the first place. And supposedly, reusing plastic increases estrogen release! So it’s an uphill battle…bacteria, estrogen, etc.

I’ve also heard that living can expose you to extremely dangerous levels of bacteria/carcinogens.

[quote]Mack wrote:
I saw an expose on water bottles. I used to keep a 1 gallon water bottle (from walmart) and drink from it everyday. I’d wash it several times a week, with hot water and soap. But apparently that is not good enugh as deadly bacteria can still accumulate. They did tests on different situations and leaving a bottle out and not washing it for a couple days can accumulate sometimes toxic levels of bacteria. Only when they washed it in the dishwasher were the levels acceptable.

Just curious if anyone uses a gallon bottle or how do you clean them? I have since just get a gallon of water from the store and refill it once.[/quote]

So, wash it in the dishwasher every couple days. I used to barely wash mine at all. It started to smell so bad (fermentation?-I used it for my PWO shake)that my girlfriend threw it out when she was helping me clean my house before I moved out. Since I bought a new one, I’ve been sticking it in the dish washer every couple days. Seems to be fine. It’s a 1 Liter Nalgene water bottle.

uh…I’m still alive also and have been drinking out of that bottle even when it smelled. Obviously the crap won’t kill you, I never did get sick either. But now knowing that I will clean the new bottle better and more often. Boy, some of y’all are quick with the sarcasm.