T Nation

Cleaning 400

I just set a new (and now public) goal of cleaning 400 lbs by Aug. 1st, 2010. I’m going to try it regardless, but out of curiosity, without knowing anything more than my size and age - 6’2, 240, 30 yrs old - what kind of odds do you give this of succeeding?

I just started doing heavy cleans again, my max before shoulder surgery last year was somewhere between 315-330 without ever really putting a heavy focus on it.

Any advice?

God Bless.

you full cleaning that 330? Do you Olympic lift at all? How’s your FS?

That’s damn impressive.

I would probably get against you, but good luck. get in there and get it done

[quote]jjphenomenon wrote:
I just set a new (and now public) goal of cleaning 400 lbs by Aug. 1st, 2010.
[/quote]

Nice goal, can I ask why ???

[quote]jjphenomenon wrote:
I just set a new (and now public) goal of cleaning 400 lbs by Aug. 1st, 2010. I’m going to try it regardless, but out of curiosity, without knowing anything more than my size and age - 6’2, 240, 30 yrs old - what kind of odds do you give this of succeeding?

I just started doing heavy cleans again, my max before shoulder surgery last year was somewhere between 315-330 without ever really putting a heavy focus on it.

Any advice?

God Bless.[/quote]

If you have done 315 “without putting focus on it” you will reach that goal far before the 2 years are up. Find a coach or someone else that does oly stuff, get some good shoes and watch it happen. Good luck.

Monopoly

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
you full cleaning that 330? Do you Olympic lift at all? How’s your FS?
That’s damn impressive.
I would probably get against you, but good luck. get in there and get it done[/quote]

I hang cleaned the 330, didn’t drop into a full front squat - about a 1/4. I olympic lift some, mostly just cleans. I used to do jerks once a week until I had shoulder surgery - haven’t done them in over a year now. My front squat needs work if I’m going to get this done, but I recognize that and am willing to put in the time required to get it up to speed…hopefully.

I want to accomplish something that I’d consider to be very difficult/amazing before I get too old to do it. Something that I’m not quite 100% sure that I can do. Plus, I coach at a junior college and our clean record is 350 - I think it’d be cool to set a mark at 30+ yrs old that no player will ever beat.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
If you have done 315 “without putting focus on it” you will reach that goal far before the 2 years are up. Find a coach or someone else that does oly stuff, get some good shoes and watch it happen. Good luck.

Monopoly[/quote]

Thanks bro.

Here’s some inspiration for you:

1. Learn how to do a full clean from the floor.

2. Focus on it specifically.

Someone with a 315 hang POWER clean and proper full clean form very well might already have the strength for a 400 clean. I’d say not only is it possible, it’s likely.