T Nation

Clean Pulls

How high would you need to pull a clean pull to suggest that you might be
able to squat clean it?

What weakness does a stronger hang clean pull than a clean pull from the floor indicate>

Well how bout this, go into a full squat and see how high that is, then add about 2 inches to that hight and that is how high you have to clean pull it.

that would be my guess, but I would like to hear a more educated one.

having a weaker first pull would indicate to me lack of strength-speed from that position.

I’m no expert so take with a grain of salt.

NeoSpringy

Having a weaker pull off the floor means you need to work on your leg strength, specifically squatting.

[quote]NeoSpringy wrote:
Well how bout this, go into a full squat and see how high that is, then add about 2 inches to that hight and that is how high you have to clean pull it.

that would be my guess, but I would like to hear a more educated one.

having a weaker first pull would indicate to me lack of strength-speed from that position.

I’m no expert so take with a grain of salt.

NeoSpringy[/quote]

It’s not 2" mate. It’ll at least be 5-8" for a good lifter imo. An elite probably 3-4" from the ‘absolute highest’ of the pull and the lowest of the clean receive position.

Weaker 1st pull = your first pull isn’t optimal.

Some lifters lift better from the hang because they they haven’t learnt to do the 1st pull properly or due to the shorter distance to travel from the hang then the floor they can control the path of the bar better.

[quote]deadlift425 wrote:
Having a weaker pull off the floor means you need to work on your leg strength, specifically squatting. [/quote]

Hamstring work mate.

Koing

thanks for the clarification Koing

Most vids you can watch will show lifters pulling up to their belly button before they start ducking under.
Hang clean, especially from mid thighs should help finnish the pull.

[quote]makaberokurota wrote:
Most vids you can watch will show lifters pulling up to their belly button before they start ducking under.
Hang clean, especially from mid thighs should help finnish the pull.[/quote]

I’d have said Power Cleans would help you finish the pull better or doing pulls and Hang Cleans would help you get underneath the bar better.

Yes belly button is a decent benchmark. If the bar goes there you should be able to get under it.

Koing