T Nation

Clean Mass Diet - Opinions?

Alright - I'm 6'0, 175 and trying to add some mass. Here's what I got from "The Quality Mass Diet" - I've been eating like this for I'd say 2 weeks now.

Meal 1:
1.5 cups oats
1.5 cups egg whites
.75 cups blueberries

Meal 2:
Shake consisting of:
1 cup 1% milk
.25 cups cottage cheese
1 TBS natural peanut butter
1 scoop whey powder

Meal 3:
6-7 oz chicken / turkey / steak (depending on type)
1/2 serving walnuts
1/2 serving raisins

Meal 4:
1 serving Superfood w/ 10 oz. water
1 TBS olive oil

Meal 5 (PW):
Shake consisting of:
2 cups 1% milk
.5 cups cottage cheese
3 TBS natural peanut butter
2 scoops whey powder

Meal 6:
some sort of mixed vegetables
1 TBS olive oil

Meal 7 (Before sleep):
.5 cups cottage cheese
1 TBS natural peanut butter

It comes out to around 3300 - 3500 calories a day, and I drop that to around 3000- 3100 for non workout days as per the instructions in the article.

My questions are these:

1. Is Superfood a legitamate substitute for vegetables in my diet? Also, as I only consume one serving/day, what if any other vegetables should I consume (and how much) the rest of the day?

2. As I move into the end of my second week on this meal plan, how should I re-asses and change my diet to ensure gain of lean muscle.

*After almost two weeks I haven't noticed any real weight gain or loss, but have increased strength.

Thanks in advance for the critique and constructive critizism.

Well there you go. Increase the calories until you see some changes on the scale (Add a few hundred calories to your daily total and stay with that for a week then check the scale again and readjust).

At your height and weight I'd say you have a lot of muscular gains to make before you need to worry about putting on excessive amounts of fat. As long as you are training hard enough you should be able to gain 40 pounds before excessive fat gain becomes a problem. That is a conservative prediction.

Thanks for the quick reply. How would you reccomend adding those extra cals into my meal plan? Also, after how long should I re-asses? In other words, how much should I be gaining over a given period of time, if of course, it is mostly muscle mass?

I don't think im qualified to tweak a diet that already has a template.

It couldn't hurt to increase the portions of meat. Depending on your carb tolerance you can increase carbs too (at the right times during the day). Or you can increase fat. See where I'm going with this...
Too many variables to pick just one thing.

As far as the re-assement.
Step on the scale every week or two. If you don't see at least 5 pounds in a month you are not eating enough. 6' 175 is very light so the weight should pile on pretty quickly early on. At some point you are going to have to eat enough to gain both fat and muscle if you truly want to get big.

Everyone's metabolism is different but just to throw this out there. I'm 5'7 and can maintain 170 pounds at 3300 calories (give or take 200). When gaining weight naturally I go up to 3700 or 3800 somewhere around there. Most would say I'm lucky that I can gain weight with calories that low.

Gotcha' - I guess since where I'm at now has me sitting at a constant weight I'll push it up to around 3600 - 3800 on training days and see where that puts me. Thanks again for the help.

good luck

The diet looks pretty good. Makes me hungry.

As far as gaining weight; About a pound a week or more should happen when your trying to gain. 300-500 calorie increases are a good start for adding without putting too much on.

Any less and it will be harder to see the differences.

It looks good but where are you getting your carbs from? Looks like you don't have too much in that diet. I like to have around 250g of carbs when I am bulking.

Bushmaster - Well to be clear I am not trying to "bulk" I dont want to get into this bulk / cut routine - but rather cleanly build up muscle. I obviously realize that some fat gain will come with it as well.

B Rock - thanks for the reply. So you would say to pretty much increase the calories once I see a 1-2 lb. gain after a week or so? Also, wouldn't a pound a week be somewhat too much in the long run?

Oh and - is there anything wrong with grinding the oats in my breakfast meal to get them down faster - does that take away from the nutritional value?

Well at first you'll gain more weight per week, then it'll start to slow down. (This is with the same caloric intake) Example. Week 1; upped 500 calories....Week 3 weighed in: Up 2.5lbs. Week 5 Same calories Up .5lbs. Make sense? Then You'd just up the calories some more and wait for it to bump up again.

It's all about finding out what works best for you. Gaining 1lb/week would be great (52lbs a year!) but it won't happen.

As far as oats go; I put mine in my morning shake....they blend up and taste good (like chocolate cereal).

Gotcha sounds good to me. So in other words every time I increase my weight by a bit, bump up the calories a bit? And then if its too much obviously tone it down?

And yeah the shake is going to be good for me considering I have zero time in the morning.

I re did some numbers and worked out a daily 3600 calorie intake for workout days and 3300 for non workout days - I added the excess calories to my solid proteins so I'll see how that works out.

As far as zig-zagging calories go, I have been considering the days I do interval sprints etc. non-workout days, and only consider the days I lift "workout days" and eat the extra calories - does this sound about right?

egg whites and 1% milk....

just cause a certain food has fat in it, doesn't make it "dirty". you'll never catch me throwing away yolks and drinking that vitamin stripped watery stuff they call 1%

Right - I'm just following the template set out in the article I read. I dont throw out the yolks as I use the cartoned egg whites, and find it easier to just drink raw than cook and eat. Is the difference big enough here to switch over and just eat similar calories or whole eggs?

For the milk - I may try using whole milk, though I'v read a few places on here where dairy is looked down upon. I certainly am not afraid of fat, but I do need to watch my saturated fats as my family has a history of heart problems. Im guessing though, that all of 3 cups of it in one day couldn't hurt too much.

Thanks for the reply.

What is your reason for not keeping your calories up on non-training days?

I only ask because I consider non-training days "recovery" days in which I still need the same amount of food to feed my body.

Whole milk and whole eggs are great. Eggs are a great way to add unnoticed calories to shakes and great for dinner. Whole milk is just fantastic all the time. It's my savior when traveling. Snag a few gallons of that and swig it throughout the day and I'm good.

Might be an incredibly stupid question but - whole eggs are fine to eat raw? If so I may switch out some whites in the morning for them and start adding whole milk as adding more calories is needed.

For now Ill stick with the current meals but as I need more calories I think Ill thorw those in there to give me some east calories.

Thanks guys.

Oh - and I lower the calories on non training days as per the "Quality Mass Diet" instructions but perhaps if I find this isn't working for me I'll keep it even.

shit i typed a huge response and it got deleted.

the jist: cook the whites, drink yolks raw. i save the yolks for bedtime as i try to avoid combining fats with carbs, but i dont think too much of eating a bunch of whole fried eggs when i feel like it. they are a great food.

whole milk is fine unless you are diabetic or something. avoid it around bedtime and post-workout.

otherwise your diet looks solid. good luck on your training.

and as for Superfood, while supplements of this type are great as an addition to your diet, dont use them as an excuse to skimp of veggies and fruits.

as for calories on off days, thats your call, but i find i have an insatiable hunger on non-training days. your body needs calories to repair and grow. you dont need as many carbs on non-training days, but keep the overall calorie intake high.

i think i have the same goals as you. im not looking to eat 10 big macs a day to put on muscle, but i will absolutely not sacrifice any muscle gains in order to keep HAWT ABZORS. you will not get fat eating clean foods in a caloric excess and training hard. youll pack on mass, maybe even get leaner in certain periods, and look much better in the end than if you had worried about the extra 500 calories a day covering up your bottom two abs.

your cholestoral concerns are warranted if your family has a history of high bad cholestoral but remember that recent studies have proven that eating foods high in fat and cholestoral doesn't necessarily mean you will have high cholestoral or get fat. people on high fat diets many times have better cholestoral levels in the end. read up on it if you are interested and don't let the 90's bullshit non-fat craze stop you from eating eggs, whole milk, full-fat cheese, etc. etc. whole foods are ALWAYS better.

yeah I'm definitly with you on the fats aren't all bad deal. Just wondering - why don't you drink the whites raw - is there a specific reason or just your preference? Milk is part of my post-workout shake, so should I keep that as non whole milk and use whole milk other times during the day that are not post workout or pre - sleep?