Clean Grip Low Pull Technique

Coach,

Today I did your explosive pull continuous ramp and it just felt weird going to a Low Pull after doing that many high pulls in a row and also from doing many high pull sessions weekly with your layering system. I definitely felt like I needed to adjust the blocks in order to get in the right starting position for them due to the different arm position; I imagine this is normal?

How high should I be aiming to go? It felt like I definitely couldn’t go very high due to my arms being closer for a clean grip. It almost felt like I was doing an explosive shrug. Is that a good way of thinking of it or is there a different mind-set I should be taking while doing clean grip low pulls? While obviously still trying to create all the power from my hips and lower body.

[quote]GingaNinja wrote:
Coach,

Today I did your explosive pull continuous ramp and it just felt weird going to a Low Pull after doing that many high pulls in a row and also from doing many high pull sessions weekly with your layering system. I definitely felt like I needed to adjust the blocks in order to get in the right starting position for them due to the different arm position; I imagine this is normal?

How high should I be aiming to go? It felt like I definitely couldn’t go very high due to my arms being closer for a clean grip. It almost felt like I was doing an explosive shrug. Is that a good way of thinking of it or is there a different mind-set I should be taking while doing clean grip low pulls? While obviously still trying to create all the power from my hips and lower body.[/quote]

With any form of low pull, especially clean-grip low pulls DO NOT focus on height… simply focus on keeping an explosive lower body action… the shoulders will go up as if shrugging, but it;s not an active shrug, it’s because the bar has upward momentum and the shoulders must raise (an arms bend) to ket the bar travel up. Do not focus on pulling with the traps or arms, which will happen if you focus on height.

Thank you for the help Coach!

I imagine the purpose of ramping to a clean grip low pull is to be able to keep overloading the weight after you max out on snatch grip low pulls and to keep increasing your capacity to lift explosively on pulls?

[quote]GingaNinja wrote:
Thank you for the help Coach!

I imagine the purpose of ramping to a clean grip low pull is to be able to keep overloading the weight after you max out on snatch grip low pulls and to keep increasing your capacity to lift explosively on pulls?[/quote]

Correct, really the key is the explosive launch. The clean-grip allows you do use slightly more weight while still being explosive in the launch, which will transfer to more powerfull launches during high pulls.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Correct, really the key is the explosive launch. The clean-grip allows you do use slightly more weight while still being explosive in the launch, which will transfer to more powerfull launches during high pulls.[/quote]

I can attest to that: I ramped to a 2RM PR Snatch low pull of 335lbs, and when I did my high pull 3x5 sets, 225 (a PR!!)flew up. At the end of my workout, I power cleaned that weight to set up for the next day’s work, which is also a PR.

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Correct, really the key is the explosive launch. The clean-grip allows you do use slightly more weight while still being explosive in the launch, which will transfer to more powerfull launches during high pulls.[/quote]

I can attest to that: I ramped to a 2RM PR Snatch low pull of 335lbs, and when I did my high pull 3x5 sets, 225 (a PR!!)flew up. At the end of my workout, I power cleaned that weight to set up for the next day’s work, which is also a PR. [/quote]

I’ve definitely noticed the same thing. When doing that 3x5 set after ramping up to a max low pull the weight just seems to fly! And I’ve also been able to increase my high pull max ramp and chinese high pull max ramp the following two sessions. Some great stuff CT!