T Nation

Clean Candied Pecans/Walnuts

I just posted this over at FA… and while I know many of you might not be as “obsessed” with clean eating as they are over there… I figured you could appreciate this clean, ridiculously awesome recipe anyway!

So it’s getting colder in Kentucky and one thing that I love when it’s cold is candied pecans and walnuts. I looked around and modified a recipe to find a HEALTHY way to make them! Here you go! You will need:

1 cup walnuts/pecans or both (I used 1/2 cup of each)
7 packets Truvia (Stevia-based granulated sweetener)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon melted Coconut oil
a few drops of vanilla extract
1 egg white (room temperature)
1 teaspoon water

Pre heat oven to 300 degrees. Mix together Truvia and cinnamon in a bowl. Then mix together the egg white, water, vanilla and coconut oil in a bowl being careful that all of them are room temperature or a little warmer so that the coconut oil stays liquid. Pour the nuts into the liquid mixture and coat thoroughly. Then pour them into the Truvia/cinnamon mixture and coat evenly. Then spread them out on a baking sheet (breaking apart any clumps) and bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. They will be a little soggy when you take them out.

Let them cool on a plate or on parchment paper for 30 minutes and they will be nice and crispy! They are DELICIOUS! But be careful… my boyfriend and I just “accidentally” split the whole batch in one sitting… OOPS! =D (oh yeah and DON’T refrigerate them! Leave them in an airtight container for up to a week! YUM!)

ENJOY! Let me know what you think!

That sounds DELICIOUS. Although eating the whole batch between you strikes me as a bit counterproductive.

:wink:

[quote]kimbakimba wrote:
That sounds DELICIOUS. Although eating the whole batch between you strikes me as a bit counterproductive.

;-)[/quote]

Counterproductive to what? It being clean? Nah… still clean… just lots o’ cals for an unplanned snack… 'round 450 I would guess… Oh well! I need to work on getting my calories back up anyway… F*ck hypothyroidism! I am going to kick it in it’s ass! =D

But seriously though… it should have been more like 4 servings instead of two… next time I will portion it out and hide it! =D

Hell yeah. Now if only I could find some Stevia this side of the Pond.

Great recipe.

I’ve tried every artificial sweetner that has come down the pike since 1976, including agave sugar, and they all leave a funny undertaste in my mouth. To those of you who happen to be supertasters (Google it) you can use turbinado sugar, also called raw sugar, to bake with. It IS real sugar, but it’s from the first press of the cane, and it’s 11 calories per teaspoon, and available worldwide. White processed sugar is 17 calories per teaspoon.

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:

Counterproductive to what? It being clean? Nah… still clean… just lots o’ cals for an unplanned snack… 'round 450 I would guess… Oh well! I need to work on getting my calories back up anyway… F*ck hypothyroidism! I am going to kick it in it’s ass! =D

But seriously though… it should have been more like 4 servings instead of two… next time I will portion it out and hide it! =D

[/quote]

Agreed…kick hypothyroidism in its ass! If anyone can do that, its you.

So, in all seriousness here is a question that I never asked over on FA but I’ll ask it now. Wouldn’t making these delicious nuts with sugar but then only eating a couple for a snack give you the same caloric/macro outcome as using stevia but eating more? Would you choose stevia over sugar even if they had the same calories?

I’d imagine if one were a figure athlete and needing to feel full and undeprived while meeting strict dietary goals, then the lower-calorie sweeteners would make sense. But I’m not a figure competitor, my goal is simply to maintain my size 2 ass to avoid spending any more $$ on reclothing, and I’m one of those people who is happy with just a taste of the not-clean food. Thus, I’ve never really explored the range of non-sugar sweeteners.

If you can’t taste the difference between artificial and real, and are limiting your calories, I’d go with the stevia. But artificial foods leave a stank on my dining pleasure, so I’d rather have the taste than the skinny. It’s all a matter of preference and priorities.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
If you can’t taste the difference between artificial and real, and are limiting your calories, I’d go with the stevia. But artificial foods leave a stank on my dining pleasure, so I’d rather have the taste than the skinny. It’s all a matter of preference and priorities.[/quote]

Not to quibble but stevia is an herb that happens to taste sweet, so in that sense it’s not really artificial so much as it is alternative. But I agree with you. I’d rather not go to extremes rather than eating sensible food in sensible amounts.

Yup, I’m a supertaster. I have a problem cooking with coconut oil because I can taste the coconut in everything (great if it’s Thai curry - not so good if I’m doing bacon and eggs). Stevia isn’t easy to get in the UK but I have heard it has an odd taste. I’d give it a try, though.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Yup, I’m a supertaster. I have a problem cooking with coconut oil because I can taste the coconut in everything (great if it’s Thai curry - not so good if I’m doing bacon and eggs). Stevia isn’t easy to get in the UK but I have heard it has an odd taste. I’d give it a try, though. [/quote]

I hear ya on the coconut oil. Get a Jamaican or Carribbean cookbook when you tire of Thai.

To me, stevia has an undertaste of anise or fennel, and isn’t too sweet. Most people never taste this, though, they just pick up on the sweetness.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Cal Jones wrote:
Yup, I’m a supertaster. I have a problem cooking with coconut oil because I can taste the coconut in everything (great if it’s Thai curry - not so good if I’m doing bacon and eggs). Stevia isn’t easy to get in the UK but I have heard it has an odd taste. I’d give it a try, though.

I hear ya on the coconut oil. Get a Jamaican or Carribbean cookbook when you tire of Thai.

To me, stevia has an undertaste of anise or fennel, and isn’t too sweet. Most people never taste this, though, they just pick up on the sweetness.

[/quote]

Yeah my sister’s wife is a super taster… I can’t imagine what that would be like. I have a nice, boring, unrefined, redneck palate! AWESOME!

Kimba - Yo Momma gave good advice… I try to refrain from sugar except on cheat days b/c it can really drain my adrenals even further and worsen gut problems (and by gut I mean “leaky” gut/intestine issues… not “chubby” gut =D)… so I try to stick with stevia. But if you are NOT as concerned with the calories, then Turbinado sugar is a good idea… I have some of that and it’s yummy! But again, if Stevia tastes OK to you then that would be my first choice (like I said… I usually try to just to avoid all “sugars” in the first place)

Hey if you guys look, the receipe call for Truvia which comes from the sweeter part of the plant. It is much more platable and looks more like grandualted sugar. Stevia was too bitter for me to take a liken to. The truvia is so much more nicer. I even put in on my fresh straberries this summer and hubby didn’t even know. I also sneak the coconut oil in his fried hashbrowns. he didn’t even know the difference for months. LOL

fitnesslady