Clean Bulking vs Dirty

I fail to see how anyone doesn’t have 70$ a week to spend on food to eat cleaner? I mean do you guys have jobs?

Sure I spend probably 80-90/week but I also weigh close to 260 so…

scratches head

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I fail to see how anyone doesn’t have 70$ a week to spend on food to eat cleaner? I mean do you guys have jobs?

scratches head[/quote]

Dude…

I’ve seen people live EXTREMELY cheaply in college. I’ve had roomates live off nothing but spaghetti + pasta sauce and occasionally buy ground beef plus a noname cereal for breakfast. They literally live off $2 meals, do the math on that one. And both my roomates were track athletes.

I’ve seen guys live in rooms that are basically the size of a walk-in closet and only a mattress on the ground and a makeshift desk.

I’ve been to an end of the semester dinner celebration at a sit down restaurant where I’ve seen a chick order hot water at the end of a meal and pull out a tea bag out of her purse.

Some people can’t afford shit in college and basically squeak by even WITH jobs. I can’t imagine how much worse it must be for these people who have athletic goals

if you really gained 5-7 pounds of muscle in 2 months and didn’t gain fat eating the way you are, why in the hell would you want to change that? do you really think that you won’t live to your 40 because of this? i would just make sure to stay away from a lot of trans-fat.

if you’re really concerned about it, maybe cut back a little on the junk, and start incorporating more lean meats, fibrous grains, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

scratches head[/quote]

Dude…

I’ve seen people live EXTREMELY cheaply in college. I’ve had roomates live off nothing but spaghetti + pasta sauce and occasionally buy ground beef plus a noname cereal for breakfast. They literally live off $2 meals, do the math on that one. And both my roomates were track athletes.

I’ve seen guys live in rooms that are basically the size of a walk-in closet and only a mattress on the ground and a makeshift desk.

I’ve been to an end of the semester dinner celebration at a sit down restaurant where I’ve seen a chick order hot water at the end of a meal and pull out a tea bag out of her purse.

Some people can’t afford shit in college and basically squeak by even WITH jobs. I can’t imagine how much worse it must be for these people who have athletic goals[/quote]

I go to college full time and work 32-40 hrs a week and have my own apartment and I still have money to spend. Unless you have an outstanding circumstance like a child to support or something it’s total bullshit to claim you don’t have the means to afford a good amount of food if this is a hobby you want to excel at. It’s all about priorities and people are lazy, bottom line.

I go to college full time and work 32-40 hrs a week and have my own apartment and I still have money to spend. Unless you have an outstanding circumstance like a child to support or something it’s total bullshit to claim you don’t have the means to afford a good amount of food if this is a hobby you want to excel at. It’s all about priorities and people are lazy, bottom line.[/quote]

I think a lot of it comes down to lifestyle too, you know? I know that I’m lazy and I’m definitely not a food prep guy, mostly just from a time and effort perspective. I can get to my goals eating subway for lunch, so I don’t worry about it.

scratches head[/quote]

??

I was a full time student taking over 19 hours some semesters. No, I did not have a job and I was a biology major trying to keep a high GPA.

You work as a bouncer and have stated yourself that you don’t take college that seriously (or at least this is what I got from some of your posts). Obviously your experience has not been the same as mine…because 70 bucks a week would have made me rich compared to what I was.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

scratches head[/quote]

??

I was a full time student taking over 19 hours some semesters. No, I did not have a job and I was a biology major trying to keep a high GPA.

You work as a bouncer and have stated yourself that you don’t take college that seriously (or at least this is what I got from some of your posts). Obviously your experience has not been the same as mine…because 70 bucks a week would have made me rich compared to what I was.[/quote]

Ah well I don’t have the luxury of not having a job through college, bills have to be payed!

And true, I’ve stated I hated college and have a hard time putting all my effort in to to but I made the necessary changes last semester and now my GPA is in a much better position. Not much over 3.0, but I still have a few years to improve it.

Waylander…must side with X on this. I take 15 hours of Finance/Biology and am trying to get into Med/Dental school. Between that and wanting to still chase tail…there’s no time. I workout, study, and try to fuck. If I worked…somethings gotta give. It’s all priorities. Congrats on your great time management. To each his own, and I really mean that.

To those who ask “why I would want to change what I’m doing…” I think it’s fairly safe to say I could be one ripped motherfucker and still have heart and cholestrol issues from binge eating in college. It’s a dillema for sure…I am excelling at getting significantly bigger because it gives me insane calories, however, at what cost to long term health? Apparently none if closely monitored I guess?

[quote]Houston07 wrote:
Waylander…must side with X on this. I take 15 hours of Finance/Biology and am trying to get into Med/Dental school. Between that and wanting to still chase tail…there’s no time. I workout, study, and try to fuck. If I worked…somethings gotta give. It’s all priorities. Congrats on your great time management. To each his own, and I really mean that.

To those who ask “why I would want to change what I’m doing…” I think it’s fairly safe to say I could be one ripped motherfucker and still have heart and cholestrol issues from binge eating in college. It’s a dillema for sure…I am excelling at getting significantly bigger because it gives me insane calories, however, at what cost to long term health? Apparently none if closely monitored I guess? [/quote]

At your age, for the most part that is true.

Waylander what is your major? I was a double major in economics and finance and would barely have passed my classes if I were working 40 hours a week.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Waylander what is your major? I was a double major in economics and finance and would barely have passed my classes if I were working 40 hours a week.

[/quote]

Nutrition, and that’s not an easy major.

I will likely ask for another night off and work ~25 hrs/week due to the awesome Organic chems coming up (lolz), fortunately calc is done, but I do have to make quite a bit of money to pay my way.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

To those who ask “why I would want to change what I’m doing…” I think it’s fairly safe to say I could be one ripped motherfucker and still have heart and cholestrol issues from binge eating in college. It’s a dillema for sure…I am excelling at getting significantly bigger because it gives me insane calories, however, at what cost to long term health? Apparently none if closely monitored I guess? [/quote]

I agree, I would also like to get into grad school but I have $400 in rent due every month, gas, phone bill, food etc etc so I’m just not in a position to be able to not work. I moved out when I was 17 so that’s just the way things are.

Not to take anything away from my parents though, they are awesome and help me out whenever they can. However, they opened up a business a few years ago and obviously with the economy as it is they have to pour a lot of time/money in to it and I’m not gonna be the asshole son that continues to burden them.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

I agree, I would also like to get into grad school but I have $400 in rent due every month, gas, phone bill, food etc etc so I’m just not in a position to be able to not work. I moved out when I was 17 so that’s just the way things are.

Not to take anything away from my parents though, they are awesome and help me out whenever they can. However, they opened up a business a few years ago and obviously with the economy as it is they have to pour a lot of time/money in to it and I’m not gonna be the asshole son that continues to burden them.[/quote]

You’re not an asshole/leech for taking financial assistance from your parents if it is to benefit your career. IMO if it is within their financial means to assist you, they should help. Putting your children through college with the best of your abilities is part of the role of being a parent (or at least it should be). Of course if you do go that route, you must DO WELL.

EDIT: Don’t think of this as a one way street, you’re simply taking money from them and that’s it. Your parents are investing in YOU. My parents helped my sister and I through our schooling and now its only a matter of time before we’re both established in our careers. Once we both reach this point, we will make sure our parents are living WELL in their old age.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

Not to take anything away from my parents though, they are awesome and help me out whenever they can. However, they opened up a business a few years ago and obviously with the economy as it is they have to pour a lot of time/money in to it and I’m not gonna be the asshole son that continues to burden them.[/quote]

You’re not an asshole/leech for taking financial assistance from your parents if it is to benefit your career. IMO if it is within their financial means to assist you, they should help. Putting your children through college with the best of your abilities is part of the role of being a parent (or at least it should be). Of course if you do go that route, you must DO WELL.

[/quote]

They help me out, they do, no doubt about that. However, the lifestyle I lead costs quite a bit of money and they simply cannot supply enough for me to live the way I do so, I work.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[/quote]

They help me out, they do, no doubt about that. However, the lifestyle I lead costs quite a bit of money and they simply cannot supply enough for me to live the way I do so, I work.[/quote]

Fair enough, was just saying working 40 hours/week and doing a serious degree is a bad idea, especially if you have post-grad aspirations that are GPA based.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[/quote]

They help me out, they do, no doubt about that. However, the lifestyle I lead costs quite a bit of money and they simply cannot supply enough for me to live the way I do so, I work.[/quote]

Fair enough, was just saying working 40 hours/week and doing a serious degree is a bad idea, especially if you have post-grad aspirations that are GPA based.[/quote]

Yup, you’re right. My advisor actually had a chat with me about that this past semester so I’m cutting back lol. I’ll still have 80+/week for groceries though :slight_smile:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Obviously I knew the bulking I was doing isn’t healthy…hence me coming here for advice. I was looking more for what calorically dense foods you guys have had success with, supplements (weight gainers), etc. that are quick and cheap. Any other reccomendations welcome.

Waylander…I’m sorry you doubt my results. Especially since 5 lbs. in 2 months is so damn hard to believe. [/quote]

How big are you? If you’re not a behemoth, I highly doubt you need over 3,500 kcal/d to grow, which is a JOKE to eat clean.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

scratches head[/quote]

Dude…

Some people can’t afford shit in college and basically squeak by even WITH jobs. I can’t imagine how much worse it must be for these people who have athletic goals[/quote]

I go to college full time and work 32-40 hrs a week and have my own apartment and I still have money to spend. Unless you have an outstanding circumstance like a child to support or something it’s total bullshit to claim you don’t have the means to afford a good amount of food if this is a hobby you want to excel at. It’s all about priorities and people are lazy, bottom line.[/quote]

I don’t eat nearly as much as I used to (4,000 to 5,000 kcal) but still get about 3,000 without putting any dent in my expenses. People have to take a moment and really think just how cheap this can be.

NONE of these are expensive:

1. Potatoes
  2. Rice (You can get a huge, and I mean HUGE, bag of rice at an Asian market for dirt cheap.)
  3. Canned salmon
  4. Canned tuna
  5. Canned chicken
  6. Eggs (I used to get them for 69-99 cents a dozen at a gas station.)
  7. Skim milk or skim milk powder
  8. Peanut butter
  9. Sardines
  10. Bread
  11. Pasta
  12. Liver (TWO bucks per pound; if you need ~60 g pro/meal, that’s a buck for the pro part of the meal.)
  13. Canned beans

Yes, veggies, fruits, cottage cheese, and yogurt - I’ve seen these things being a bit of a rip when you add them up.

Go to Costco and get the big things of Dietz & Watz turkey and ham slices; canned chicken; canned salmon; and canned tuna they have. I currently have two packs of the turkey and ham and SEVENTY cans of salmon, chicken, tuna, and sardines in my place right now.

I bought a FIVE pound bag of frozen strawberries from there recently.

Forgot to mention the huge bags of premade teriyaki chicken and beef strips I get from there. The bag of beef strips costs 12 bucks and the chicken costs 17 bucks.

I do have an advantage in being an RD though, because I’m part of the entire dietary department. So I eat two snacks and lunch at work. BE RESOURCEFUL.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:
I have packed on around 5-7 lb.s of muscle in the last 2 months taking MassTech and eating anything and everything. On a given day I might consume 4 cheeseburgers, pizza, whatever.

While I am pleased with my weight gain and haven’t noticed any more body fat ( just muscle), I am concerned with long term health effects. I have heard of many "in shape " strong men having strokes and what not later in life supposebly linked to red meat, cheeseburgers, etc.

How should I balance this? The thing is…eating healthier and bulking clean costs significantly more and is much more time consuming (I’m a college student). I am also experiencing great effects in size with my current eating (crappy) and lifting. Having said that, I’d like to live past the age of 40. What do you guys do to deal with this while your trying to put on lots of size. Any suggestions welcome.

[/quote]

How big are you? I’d really like to know what enormous caloric amount you need to take in to grow.